3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 1:27 PM by ntsiii

How can I do this in Flex?

jharahush
      This is my first post and I thank everyone in advance for any guidance.

I want to create a simple image gallery that has thumbnails and titles. Each thumbnail would then open a PDF document in a new window. I would like to be able to load the thumbnails via an XML file because I want to add to the gallery every so often. Basically, I just want a simple box that scrolls vertically with simple thumbnails and a title next to each one.

I've created a gallery in Flash that uses masking and kind of has a scroll effect (I'm fairly new to all of this, but basically looked through a few tutorial exercises and then sort of merged everything and made my own) but updating it is time consuming, so I'm thinking something done with Flex that uses XML would be great.

My problem is that I don't really know where to start. I'd like something organized like a list, but should I use the list component? or the tile component? or HBox or VBox? Get what I mean? I'm willing to learn what I need to learn but I'm not sure where to start.

Also, if this helps, I'm comfortable with using XML data to populate a Datagrid with text, but when it comes to thumbnails with titles that need to link to something, I'm not sure.

Any direction would be great. Thanks so much!