Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Popup Conversion in a large project

Jul 23, 2008 Jul 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a large Help project we're currently exploring converting from merged HTML Help to WebHelp. Thanks to Peter Grainge for his excellent tutorial which got me through the merging part with my sanity intact. Here is my problem. We currently use jumps and two flavors of popup:

<a href="JavaScript:showHelp('ms-its: <project_name>.chm::/ <folder_name>/ <file_name>.htm>$global_glosspop')">

for popups of files in external projects and

<a href="javascript:BSSCPopup(' <file_name>.htm',400,300);" id=a4;"> link text</a><robohelp><script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2><!--FilePopupInit('a4');//--></script></robohelp>

for popups of files in the local project.

We don't want to spend three months scouring 17 projects and converting most of these manually, but I haven't been able to think of way to automate this process with a tool like FAR. Mostly because of the id= id number.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

.MW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 24, 2008 Jul 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you're probably aware, the "id=a" sequence is determined by the order in which the popups were/are created, and not top-to-bottom.

That said, you're not clear in your post exactly what you would be changing. As to the local popups, a comparison with my WebHelp popups indicate that you would need to delete the bold strings and add the italic string (all easily done in FAR).

<a href="javascript:BSSCPopup('<file_name>.htm',400,300);" id=a4;">link text</a> <robohelp><script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2><!-- kadovFilePopupInit('a4');//--></script> </robohelp>

As to the external links, I assume that these projects will now all be child projects within your merged WebHelp (as per Peter's excellent tutorial)? Therefore, you'd be replacing:

<a href="JavaScript:showHelp('ms-its: with: <a href="javascript:BSSCPopup('
<project_name>.chm::/<folder_name>/ with: ../ (as many instances as there are projects)
.htm>$global_glosspop' with: htm');" id=ax>Allocation Type</a><script type="text/javascript" language=JavaScript1.2><!--kadovFilePopupInit('ax');//--></script>

You'll have to manually assign numbers to replace the "ax" string that I'm suggesting, but you can use FAR to at least identify the files that need attention. For example:

1. Search on id=a (amount of matches will identify the maximum amount of popups in any topic).
2. Search on id=a4 (or whatever the maximum amount was in step 1).
3. Click the Matches column head twice to bring all related topics to the top of your list.
4. Select all other topics, right click and select Remove Selected.
5. Search again on the remaining topics to find any "id=ax" matches. Enter only those topics that need to have "id=ax" changed to 5, 6, etc.
6. If none, start over at step 1 using "id=a3" for matches.

Pretty simple, huh?

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're using RoboHelp 7 so I'm confused as to why I'd want to reintroduce kadov tags? The rest of it looks good, thanks!

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2008 Jul 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other thing beyond Leon's advice that comes to mind is Regular Expressions. They are described on my site but you would almost certainly need developer support and not all developers are familiar with them.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2008 Jul 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon's example is from X5. You will need to adapt it using the format you see in your code.

Another approach might be to use MacroExpress. Record a macro as you change one popup manually, then manually locate each popup and run the macro. Still a bit manual but much quicker. Not entirely sure it will work without testing.

I suggest you create a mock merge set up and experiment with that, rather than working on your real project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
quote:

Originally posted by: Peter Grainge

...I suggest you create a mock merge set up and experiment with that, rather than working on your real project.

I did that first thing. Thanks, that clears things up. I'll let you know how things work out.

.MW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp