5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 10:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Sound for Long Fiction project in Premiere CS4?

homebert

Hi everyone,

I have a feature film edited in Premiere Pro CS4. It's 70 scenes, split into 7 projects, each with 10 scenes, in premiere. I'm not at the mastering and sound mixing stage yet, but i'm sending out roughtcuts to local investors. I'm putting each of the ten completed scenes in each project into a single timeline and rendering that as a HD wmv. That leaves me with ten wmvs that I'm turning into a DVD using Encore CS4.

The problem is that the sound levels are a mess. Individually scenes are fine, but accross the whole project you need to keep turning the volume up and down. Is there a normaliser that I can use without messing up the balance of audio within each scene? Is it better to do in Premiere or Encore?

Thanks everyone for their time.

Eoin

• 1. Re: Sound for Long Fiction project in Premiere CS4?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, it's very slightly the wrong forum. CS4 is Premiere Pro. This forum is for non-Pro versions of Premiere.

Now, let's see if I can get you the answer. In CS4, the ability to Normalize an entire Master Audio Track was added. Before CS4, one had to do it manually, either with riding Gain in the Audio Mixer at the Track level, or on a Clip-by-Clip basis.

What you want can now be done via Master Track Normalization.

Good luck, and don't be surprised if one of the MOD's moves this post to the PrPro forum.

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Corrected reference to "Master" Track

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sound for Long Fiction project in Premiere CS4?
            homebert Level 1

Whoops. Sorry I put this in the wrong place.

I'm looking into Master Normalisation now. That seems to be exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks so much,

Eoin

• 3. Re: Sound for Long Fiction project in Premiere CS4?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              I'm putting each of the ten completed scenes in each project into a single timeline and rendering that as a HD wmv. That leaves me with ten wmvs that I'm turning into a DVD using Encore CS4.

This step gives you an additional encoding step and will reduce the final quality. Forget about encoding to WMV first. Use Dynamic Link to export your timeline to Encore and let Encore handle the encoding.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sound for Long Fiction project in Premiere CS4?
                homebert Level 1

Each of the projects takes about ten minutes to load, and there were about seven of them. I was just exporting to a pile of WMVs to make the process faster and to give me a HD backup of the footage on the offchance something went horribly wrong. I'll try using Dynamic Link.

Video quality isn't of primary importance yet, but that's useful advice, thanks.  At the moment, I'm just trying to get the roughcut out to the local film funding body. If thye give me money, i'll be able to pay for a full picture grade and sound mix. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

Eoin

• 5. Re: Sound for Long Fiction project in Premiere CS4?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Eoin,

Hope that the Master Track Normalization works for you.

Also, good luck on that funding!

Hunt