5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 3:18 PM by WessideMD

Terminating Debug Problems

WessideMD
      I'm amazed, but I must be the only person in the world with this problem. I've looked all over the internet and the solution is nowhere to be found.

The problem:
      When debugging an application (default button F11) my default browser opens up (IE 7, Vista Ultimate). Flex displays trace commands, and I can use my application with no problem. Once I'm done testing, I either click on the "Terminate" button, or use my keyboard shortcut (custom) and I expect my browser window to close. Alas, it does not.

I used to have this problem with Flex 2 in my office, in fact I thought that it was like that by design, then I noticed that other people don't have this problem. Then I upgraded my office version to Flex 3 and voila! problem disappeared! It's great to not have to reach all the way to the browser's X to close a window.

Great! so I then installed Flex 3 in my home computer and guess what, my nightmare is back. Here's what I've done to fix it so far.
      -Uninstalled Flash player using Adobe's uninstall tool
      -Downloaded and installed the latest version of Flash Debugger's from Adobe's site
      -Uninstalled and Reinstalled Flex 3 (2 times)
      -Searched all over the internet
      -Posted my last attempt and plea here in this forum.

I would LOVE some help! I can't do ANY work at home like this. I've become so fast navigating at work, that having to close a browser window for every time I debug my code (And I'm not very good either, so I debug A LOT!) is completely demotivating....

HELP!
      Wes
        • 1. Re: Terminating Debug Problems
          Level 7

"WessideMD" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6bgol$1m5$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm amazed, but I must be the only person in the world with this problem.
          > I've
          > looked all over the internet and the solution is nowhere to be found.
          >
          > The problem:
          > When debugging an application (default button F11) my default browser
          > opens up
          > (IE 7, Vista Ultimate). Flex displays trace commands, and I can use my
          > application with no problem. Once I'm done testing, I either click on the
          > "Terminate" button, or use my keyboard shortcut (custom) and I expect my
          > browser window to close. Alas, it does not.
          >
          > I used to have this problem with Flex 2 in my office, in fact I thought
          > that
          > it was like that by design, then I noticed that other people don't have
          > this
          > problem. Then I upgraded my office version to Flex 3 and voila! problem
          > disappeared! It's great to not have to reach all the way to the browser's
          > X to
          > close a window.
          >
          > Great! so I then installed Flex 3 in my home computer and guess what, my
          > nightmare is back. Here's what I've done to fix it so far.
          > -Uninstalled Flash player using Adobe's uninstall tool
          > -Downloaded and installed the latest version of Flash Debugger's from
          > Adobe's
          > site
          > -Uninstalled and Reinstalled Flex 3 (2 times)
          > -Searched all over the internet
          > -Posted my last attempt and plea here in this forum.
          >
          > I would LOVE some help! I can't do ANY work at home like this. I've
          > become so
          > fast navigating at work, that having to close a browser window for every
          > time I
          > debug my code (And I'm not very good either, so I debug A LOT!) is
          > completely
          > demotivating....

Is this on Windows or a Mac? When I run Flex on Windows, clicking the red
          button closes the browser window. On my husband's Mac, it does not. I just
          figured it was OS specific.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Terminating Debug Problems
            WessideMD Level 1
            You see, this is what I mean, I bet a lot of people think that it's designed to work without closing the browser window and is probably why I can't find the answer.

I'm running Vista Ultimate at the Office, and Vista Home at home.

Thanks for any help!

• 3. Re: Terminating Debug Problems
              levancho Level 3
              Hi, WessideMD
              Debugger will only close the window it has opened, but if it is the window with tabs and if there are other tabs also open it will not close that window,

also this issue might be little more hairy in vista since there are some more securities etc ... probably it will work in vista if you use firefore vs IE.
              to do that you need to make firefox as your default browser and debugger will laucnh that instead.
              • 4. Re: Terminating Debug Problems
                WessideMD Level 1
                It's true that I haven't tried the Firefox approach, but my office version of Flex 3 works perfectly with IE 7.

The debugger only opens single windows with no tabs. Although I wonder if you're on to something with that. My office version of IE is set to "Open links from other programs in: Another Window". I don't know what my home IE is set up to be. I wonder if it is set to "Open links from other programs in: The Current Tab or Window".

If the latter is the case, I wonder if even though the launch appears to be opening a new window, if it's actually first trying to connect to an old window first, and then launching a new one. This is certainly a breadcrumb I'll look into when I get home today. Meanwhile, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.
                • 5. Re: Terminating Debug Problems
                  WessideMD Level 1
                  Well, I installed Firefox at home and the debugger works as expected.

I'm glad that works, but this workaround doesn't really explain why I can get it to work at my office in IE but not here at home. I still hope to get any other ideas, but for the meantime, I'll continue to use Firefox until a fix can be found.

Thanks!