12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 1:14 AM by Jacob Bugge

How to make vector shape

linkot Level 1

Image1.gif

No need to say I'm new to Illustrator ... I hope my request is very easy to explain 'how to' ...

I would like to duplicate the above and have it be a vector so it sizes smoothly and large.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to make vector shape
          [scott] Level 6

All you really need to draw are 3 equal paths.

curves.jpg

That's the basic premise. You'll need to play with it a bit to get the exact path shapes.

• 2. Re: How to make vector shape
            linkot Level 1

That is so incredible!  You wouldn't believe how I've been tryng to go about this.  Thank you so much!

How can I learn the basics ... Illustrator 101.  I have an old Adobe Illusttator 9.0 Classroom in a Book ... I've graduated to CS4 but never conqurered the basics.

Thanks again ... much appreciated..

• 3. Re: How to make vector shape
              linkot Level 1

Is there a way to make it a vector shape ... once I have the curve it is solid.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: How to make vector shape
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

linkot wrote:

Is there a way to make it a vector shape ... once I have the curve it is solid.

Thanks again.

It is vector but the envelop distort is exactly that it contains the original art it is really an appearance.

You have a few choices you can go to

Object>Envelop Distort>Edit Contents

Or

you can select the warped art and go to Object Expand now you will have six paths but if you do that then you should probably group them
                so you don't drive yourself crazy when you go to select and move the art.

The top is not expanded the bottom is expanded

Screen shot 2009-09-15 at 2.09.28 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to make vector shape
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

linkot,

And there are other ways.

It seems that the arcs form part of concentric circles.

To get an exact fit, with some simple steps, you may (see the images below):

1) Create three concentric circles and two lines through the centre, set at the desired angle;

2) Pathfinder>Divide and delete the upper, lower, and central parts, and Ungroup;

3) Select the outer closed path to the left, click the end Anchor Points of the outer arc, and delete the rest (end parts and inner arc which is redundant);

4) Select the inner closed path to the left, click the end Anchor Points of both arcs, and delete the end parts;

5) Repeat 3) and 4) for the closed path to the right.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to make vector shape
                    linkot Level 1

Thanks for your help.  I have duplicated your first graphic. Then I 'group' ... but when I go to    >Effect >Pathfinder >Divide

I don't have the ability to delete ... what am I missing?  Did I need to create each circle on a new layer?  I recreated on layers but that doesn't help.  Just something I don't understand.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: How to make vector shape
                      linkot Level 1

Yes!  Thanks

Amazing what can be accomplished when you know someone who knows what they're doing!  Thanks!

• 8. Re: How to make vector shape

linkot,

Thanks for your help.  I have duplicated your first graphic. Then I 'group' ... but when I go to    >Effect >Pathfinder >Divide

I don't have the ability to delete ... what am I missing?

You are not missing anything: you are overdoing it. I said nothing about Effect, and no need to group anything. Just select the lot and Pathfinder>Divide.

• 9. Re: How to make vector shape
                          linkot Level 1

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm getting there (attached) ... I can't remove the top/botton portion on one section, no matter what I try.  As a test I grouped ... when I resize the lines get thicker ... is this normal?

• 10. Re: How to make vector shape
                            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have both filled and stroked paths. They are easy to seperate and I had no problem removing the connectors. If you don't want the strokes to scale when you enlarge an item, go to Preferences>General (Cmd-K) and uncheck the box that says something like Scale Strokes and Effects.

• 11. Re: How to make vector shape
                              linkot Level 1

Thanks Larry ... knowing it was possible, I enlarged and clicked around using Ctrl ... and managed to remove the lines.  Then I checked the box in Preferences and I'm good to go.  Many thanks to everyone ...

LinK

• 12. Re: How to make vector shape

Also thank you Larry from me, for stepping in. My post #7 was a quarter past midnight (TST).

I am glad everything is sorted, linkot.