10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2010 5:45 PM by Dean_O

CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7

Dean_O

Help,

I am running 64 big Windows 7 (final RTM version), on a quad proc machine with 8GB of Ram.

I have installed CS4 Production Premium.

When I launch Premier, it will launch fine but locks up when I add an 11GB MPEG file after importing 99% of it. What is amazing is that it locks up the whole machine, just flat out frozen.

When I launch CS4 Encode, it just crashes on boot.

I tried inserting the installation DVD to do a reinstall, and that ran, but no luck.

I could try an full uninstall and re-install, but I doubt that will help.

Thoughts? Would like to get this suite running. Photoshop 64 and 32 bit run fine.

Dean

• 1. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - tell Win7 to run the programs in compatibility mode

2 - wait for Adobe to issue updates for Win7

• 2. Re: Win 7 updates for Premier, Encode
            Dean_O Level 1

Thanks John, I appreciate your response. I will work on setting up compatiblity mode tonight, I should have tought of that.

Any general guidance on when the Win 7 updates will be out for these apps?

Are we looking at 6 months after Win 7 general availability (October 22), or within a month or so after Oct 22?

Thanks!

Dean

• 3. Re: Win 7 updates for Premier, Encode
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since this is a USER forum and not Adobe support, nobody here knows when Adobe will do anything

Anybody who does know (ie-Beta Test crew) has signed an agreement not to talk

Everybody will know when Adobe announces

• 4. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                Dean_O Level 1

Ah, OK, thanks.

Dean

• 5. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                  Frederik46

It seems to be similar to my problem.

I recently updated my PC to an ASUS P6T Motherboard, with an i7 920 Quad Processor and 6GBytes of memory.

With Vista (32-bit) everthing is fine. Then, I installed Windows 7 (64-bit), on a new SATA drive.

Premier runs fine, but when I am trying to encode (with Adobe Media Encoder) to AVI or NTSC (haven't tried others), I get complete system crashes or lockups, followed by reboots. All CS4 software is latest Adobe Rev. Switched bck to my old PATA drive with Vista-32, and the same project encodes just fine, with all of the same hardware (well except for the operating system drive)!

So, anybody have an idea as to what is happening? Hello Adobe?

• 6. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

This is definitely a hardware problem.  Anything from excessive heat to bad drivers to faulty components may be the cause.  The only way that Pr and the AME are involved in this is that they are exercising your system to the point that it breaks.  They've exposed a weak link somewhere, now it's up to you to find out what it is.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                      Dean_O Level 1

All,

Its been a while since I have used Encode, so I just tried it now on a smaller file (16 MB).

It ran fine on Win 7. This was going from an MOV file to a AVI file.

When I check About, it says I am running 6.2.0.006

I chose Adobe Updater, and it is now installing a bunch more updates.

As someone who used to work at Adobe, even though more sales come from the Windows side, I still find that overall that the Windows stuff is second fiddle to the Mac stuff. And now that sooo much is being farmed off to India, I think the QA/Testing stuff tends to get shorted. Excellent engineers, crappy testers.

I just recently solved another computer problem, and its always good to remember two general tips:

1. Reduce the overall scenario down to the absolute simplest setup and usage scenario you can think off. Just eliminate and eliminate anything that can be removed from the equation. Often, things will work in the simplest scenario, and then as you one-by-one add complexity back into the overall scenario, you will find the element that causes the problem.

2. Always make sure you have the latest updates, for both your OS and application software. Be tenacious on this, and don't always assume that things are the latest. I recently replaced my laptops wireless driver from Microsoft with one from Intel, and sure enough, problem solved (problem with Sleep working 100% of the time).

Dean

• 8. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I still find that overall that the Windows stuff is second fiddle to the Mac stuff.

Not sure that that holds true any more, especially with PrPro. There is one recent thread with a chart of the Transitions and Effects missing in the Mac version. It comes from a much earlier thread about the same topic.

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                          Frederik46 Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about the answer though.

Specifically, the Project Transcoded completely and properly, running under Vista 32-bit, on a 160 GByte PATA drive. It failed (crashed repeatedly and very badly BSOD), when I tried to transcode the same project under Windows 7 64-bit, running on a new 400 GByte SATA drive. The balance of the hardware is the same: new (three months old) ASUS P6T Motherboard with i7 920 Quad Processor, and 6 GByte of memory, 1 TByte SATA drive for the source and scratch files (AVI and AVCHD), project files, etc.

So, the differences are/could be the following: Vista 32-bit versus Vista versus Windows 7 64-bit, full use of the 6 GByte memory under the 64-bit OS versus about 3+ GByte under 32-bit OS, but still the same MB, Proc, and Memory!

My testing involved the unplugging of the SATA cable from the 400 GByte drive with Windows 7 64-bit, and then plugging in the PATA cable on the 160 GByte drive with Vista-32, powered on, etc.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Frederik

• 10. Re: CS4 Premier and Encode Fail on Win 7
                            Dean_O Level 1

Well, if your getting blue screens, then yes, it might be faulty hardware. I guess I missed that part of your earlier post.

Dean