6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 3:32 PM by Harm Millaard

New System Configuration - advice?

Shao Lung Level 1

Good day all!

I have a dual core dual processor Woodcrest system that is serving me well. CS3-CS4 Production Suites Win XP SP3, max RAM. I had recently lost a 320 GB that was in a striped RAID array and ordered two new 1TB Seagate Barracuda drives to replace that RAID drive completely. My question is this: will putting bith drives in a striped array give me "real-world" performance gain, or am I better off just partioning them as individual drives? I want the BEST performance I can get, so I am willing to do it - no problem - but would like input as to what other users are doing. I shoot mainly SD video but will probably shoot HD in the future. Render almost all video with Movie Looks software as well. Thanks!

• 1. Re: New System Configuration - advice?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Movie Looks is highly CPU dependent, not so much disk intensive. What other disks do you have.

Also have a look here: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

and specifically at the Storage Guide. Partitioning is a bad idea, but breaking out to individual disks may be worthwhile depending on your total disk setup.

• 2. Re: New System Configuration - advice?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Just to get a feel for where your system is in terms of performance, run this benchmark test: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/491348?tstart=0

Bill will post your results ASAP and it will give you a feeling how your systems performs in comparison to others, so you know where future investments should go and where your priorities ought to be.

• 3. Re: New System Configuration - advice?
              Shao Lung Level 1

So is it better to stripe the two new drives(with 1TB drives will it help the performance), or just install them as stand-alone?

• 4. Re: New System Configuration - advice?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Rick,

You did not answer my question about your disk setup, so I am assuming here.

You have a separate boot disk, you have one 320 disk that did not fail from your previous raid and you have two new 1 TB disks, correct?

I would suggest:

1. C: boot disk for OS & programs

2. D: 320 G disk for pagefile and scratch

3. E: 2 x 1 TB in raid0 for media, media cache and exports

If you want to break out to 2 separate disks, use one for media and the other for media cache, export and renders.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New System Configuration - advice?
                  Shao Lung Level 1

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I apologize. I have one OS disk, four 320 GB disks broken into two striped RAID arrays. One of the 329 GB disks failed, leaving me with three. I purchased two new 1 TB Seagate Barracuda drives, and was wanting the best advice for the most performance. Is it best two keep the drives as stand-alone, or stripe the two 1 TB drives as one logical(make that my "Captured" drive-since Premiere works from those files, right?), keep one 320 GB as scratch and pagefile, and use the last dual 320 GB array as my "Render" drive.

Sound good? Suggestions? (BTW Harm, you are the best!)

• 6. Re: New System Configuration - advice?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Rick,

That is a good approach, but you can also consider, since you have two more 320's laying around, to use 2 x 320 in raid0 for pagefile, scratch and media cache, 2 x 1 TB in raid0 for media and the remaining 320 for exports. I would sugegst if you are going for raid to use the mobo raid capabilities, not the Windows software to raid disks, since it puts a heavier burden on your system with more CPU load.