5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 6:47 AM by TestingFlex

Testing Flex Application

TestingFlex

Hi,

I need to test a Flex 2 application, I know that developers need to compile the application so I can automate with QTP 9.5, but If they made a change on the application, QTP will still recognice the objects? Or I need to request a recompiling?

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Testing Flex Application
          paul.williams Level 4

Not sure I understand your question - if developers change the

application then you will need to recompile it to test it, regardless of

whether you are using QTP / Automation.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Testing Flex Application
            TestingFlex Level 1

ok, thanks a lot!

Regards!

• 3. Re: Testing Flex Application
              TestingFlex Level 1

Hi,

Just to confirm, for example:

Today: Development Team release an application and I want to automate it, so I request to compile the application to recognize the objects using QTP as Automated Tool.

Tomorrow: Development Team wants to fix some issues and do some adjustments.

My questions here is if every time that new objects, pages, adjustments are applied in the application I need to request to re-compile it?

Could you please clarify this process?

Thanks in advance.

• 4. Re: Testing Flex Application
                paul.williams Level 4

I think I should clarify one point before we continue. There are two ways to test a Flex app with QTP:

1) Use runtime automation - involves running your appliction in a special wrapper 'swf' that knows how to talk to QTP

2) Build automation into your application - involves adding swcs to your build so that your application knows how to talk to QTP

These are documented more thoroughly here:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=functest_components2_01.html

Now back to your question, I've highlighted the word compile to illustrate at which point compilation is necessary:

Today development team finish their development and release the application (v1.00)  to you. In order to do this they write some Flex code, compile it into a swf, and give the swf to you.

Now, if you are using option 1 (above) you can take that swf and use it with QTP immediately

If you are using option 2, the development team will need to compile an additional version of the swf that includes the automation swcs (v1.00a).

Tomorrow development team make some adjustments to the application and release a new version (v.1.01) of the application to you. In order to do this they change their Flex code from yesterday, compile the modified code into a swf and give the swf to you.

Again, if you are using option 1 you can take that v1.01 swf and use it with QTP immediately

Or, if you are using option 2, the development team will need to compile an additional version of the swf that includes the automation swcs (v1.01a).

Does this make sense?

One question from me - why aren't the development team helping you with this?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Testing Flex Application
                  TestingFlex Level 1

Thanks, your answer help me a lot!

Regards,