6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2009 1:14 PM by Bakey74

Fake 3D

Bakey74

Hi there folks.

First and foremost, apologies if this has been asked before - I've hunted around various forums and tutorial sites and yet unable to locate what I'm after. I've been an After Effects user since version 4 - but in all honestly have been out of "the scene" for a good few years (since the AE7 period).

I'm in-need of creating a faux 3D effect utilising 2D footage - in this instance a website, whereby the elements of a web-page will appear to have been lifted off of the page (a sense of depth) and yet they won't suffer the issue of perspective when a camera is sat in-front of the comp (as in various elements won't be "too big" as is what would naturally happen as a consequence of perspective).

I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone is able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance and kind regards, Mark.

• 1. Re: Fake 3D
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I honestly don't really know what you are looking for, but if you don't want elements too become too huge, you simply compensate with scaling them down the nearer they get to the cam. If you want to have them aligned front-on all the time, use Layer --> Auto orient and set it toward the camera. This also minimizes perspective perception.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Fake 3D
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

>  I'm in-need of creating a faux 3D effect utilising 2D footage <

I'm as confused as Myl. In the olden says, before 3D existed in AE, we did this with layering, scaling, drop shadows. Simulating a moving camera was as easy as animating the anchor point of a nested comp.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: Fake 3D
              Bakey74 Level 1

Thanks guys - I think I've done a pretty good job of confusing myself on this one! The effect I'm after is best demonstrated in the following showreel http://www.coolpink.net/showreel/ - I'm sure there's a term for the effect I'm desperately trying to achieve, but unfortunately I've no idea as to what the heck it is!

It would be hugely appreciated if any one out there in AE land could take a quick peek and let me know their thoughts!

Thanks in advance...

• 4. Re: Fake 3D
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If I understand you, your goal is to seperate elements within your graphic and position those elements on different 3D planes to give your art some depth.

First, cut out/seperate the elements into seperate layers in PS.  Be sure to fill the base layer with appropriate content or color.

Open as comp in AE and convert all layers to 3D.  Then pull elements forward on the Z axis and rescale them so they look their original size.

Animate your camera to show off the 3D seperation of the objects.

The second part above can be automated with this script from aenhancers.com.

• 5. Re: Fake 3D
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

http://www.coolpink.net/showreel/

Nice stuff, thanks for the link.

Yoole is correct, you just cut out all of the individual elements and start messing with them. Start slow, maybe five objects. You don't really need a camera until your're ready to move on to more complex transitions and movement. You'll also notice there are no lights or shadows in the coolpink reel. Those will slow you down to glacial pace so don't add them if you don't need them. 3D multiplies all rendering by a factor of 3, sometimes as much as 9 if you have lights and motion blur.

This kind of 3D animation has been around for years. The coolpink reel was a good example of everything we have learned since AE gave us 3D planes and cameras.

bogiesan

• 6. Re: Fake 3D
                    Bakey74 Level 1

Thanks again guys - really do appreciate your help, guidance and advice on this one!

Regards, Mark.