7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2009 8:22 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7

jbcal

Hi.  I am looking into PE 7, but can't find a comparison to PE 3, which I own currently.  Will you please tell me (or lead me to a URL with this info) what the major advantages are to upgrading?  Also, if moving to PE 7, should I upgrade or buy the full version?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a FAQ Article on "what's new in PrE 7." It probably covers things from a PrE 4 vs PrE 7 perspecitive, but some reading between the lines might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
            Phillip-Gordon Level 2

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum

Take a look here, it may help you decide?

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/Photoshop_Elements_Tutorials_and_User_Resource s.htm

Phillip

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
              jbcal Level 1

Thanks for your quick responses!  I'll do more research and make my decision.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
                Phillip-Gordon Level 2

You are most welcome

Please let us know of your decision

Phillip

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
                  jbcal Level 1

Thanks, I will.  I didn't realize that there wasn't a version 5 or 6 until now.  That was a big concern of mine (i.e., maybe I should go to 6 first, then 7 but where is it??) 

Anyway, thanks again!

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What happened was that PSE (Photoshop Elements) was running ahead of the version numbers of PrE. Since these two programs are often bundled, and interface in many respects, Adobe chose to jump the version of PrE, so that it now matched with PSE. Version 7, for both, was this realignment. On one hand, this eliminated some confusion. On another, it created more.

Much the same thing happened, when Adobe too Premiere from 6.5 to Premiere Pro 1.0. To add to that confusion, there were also Premiere 7.0 versions, that were really PrPro 1.0. Most were OEM and often bundled with some computers, like the Sony Vaios, and also with some cameras. As Premiere Pro was a total rewrite of the code, there was much confusion, and much of that still exists today. If you hang out in the Premiere and the Premiere Pro fora, you'll see some of this.

At least in the case of PrE, it was not that bad, but many wondered how they missed PrE 5 & 6. Well, they never were, 'cause PSE was already up to version 6, and could not go backward.

Now, I never had any version of PrE, prior to vers. 4, so do not really know PrE 3. However, from my studies, it seems to be a bit more like PrPro in its GUI and some of its workflow. With PrE 4, the GUI was streamlined quite a bit, and more semi-automatic features were added. Most love this change. As I use PrPro for the vast majority of my editing, I think that I would have liked PrE 3 a bit better, as that GUI and workflow was more in keeping with my PrPro. Each version of PrE has added more features, and most of them take a lot of the hand-work out of the equation. Since I am used to hand-work from PrPro, I miss that, and do not fully embrace the newer versions, even if they are easier to do most tasks with. BTW - I am a major "control freak," so my feelings are definitely shared by all.

Good luck in your decisons,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 3 vs. 7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Phillip,

Nice to see you over here in the PrE forum. I greatly appreciate your contributions to the PS forum.

Hunt