15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 11:40 AM by The-Russ

PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?

Hansangb

My system is Intel Core i7/Vista 64bit/Ultimate/SP2; NVidia GTX295, 6GB RAM.   I'm using PE7.  I searched through the forum and I'm finding conflicting information about whether there is a 4GB limit or not.

I noticed that when I import >4GB M2TS file, the audio seems to be missing.   I'm using Total Media eXtreme that came with Hauppauge's HD PVR 1200.

The video comes in just fine so I'm assuming there is no limit, but I can't figure out why the audio is missing.

Older version of TME seems to work OK, but I don't recall if the file size was less than 4GB or not.

Other players can handle the >4GB file, so I'm assuming it's a PE7 limitation.  Does anyone have an idea?  I have an email into support, but I thought someone here already ran into.

Thanks

Hansang

• 1. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

With Vista 64-bit, I cannot imagine that you have FAT-32 HDD's, but need to ask. I would assume that your HDD's are formatted as NTSF.

PrE should not have a limit as to the size of the file. I would anticipate that there must be some problem with PrE and the Audio portion of your file.

What does G-Spot say about the AV file?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
            Kodebuster Level 3

Assuming your Vista-64 system came from a vendor or store, the file system would be NTFS, and not FAT-32 (which has the 4 gig limit).

I've never heard of a vendor selling a V-64 system with anything other than NTFS as the file system.

Regarding the lost audio on your Video files, if I had to suspect anything, it's the M2TS Container format of those files.

This format is basically a wrapper for MPEG-2 and is the standard format for BluRay video discs.

My guess is that PE probably won't play nice with this file.

Check the FAQ's (or google 'M2TS Convert') and get your video into the DV-AVI format.

PE plays very nice with DV-AVI...

• 3. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
              Kodebuster Level 3

As a follow up, .MTS or .M2TS extensions are also for AVCHD type of files which should be handled by PE7.

I'm assuming that the video coming from the xTreme/Hauppage is of the Hi Def flavor. (and not Standard Def).

If HD, then it's probably the AVCHD variety, so conversion to DV-AVI may not be the best approach.

Use G-Spot as recommended above and post some details on your video and source, this will help to give further direction...

• 4. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hansang

The others who have responded to your question and I are reading your question differently.

It looked to me like they thought that you were asking about the file size of your video. I do not believe that is what you were asking. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that you were talking about the maximum utilization of RAM when you are running Premiere Elements 7 in a 64 bit operating system.

Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application which runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit operating system. Because of this, the max RAM utilization is 4, not the 6 GB that you have installed. If you were running a 64 bit application in your 64 bit operating system, that is another story, but you are not when running Premiere Elements.

If you can find them again, please cite those reports that claim max utilization greater than 4 GB when you are running Premiere Elements in a 64 bit system.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                  Hansangb Level 1

Thanks everyone.  I'll try out the g-spot and see wha it says.  The fact that PE7 is a 32bit app makes sense. But I did confirm that files that are 2GB in size come into PE7 just fine (audio and video).  If it's 4GB or larger only the video comes in (all of it).  It's just that audio is missing.

I filed a report with Adobe but haven't heard a thing in over a week.  So much for tech support!

I can use external software to convert the M2TS file to MP4 and import that in for editing...it's annoying though.

• 6. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

It sounds like you have a working workaround.

In all your troubleshooting have you tried to change the file extension from m2ts to ts?

ATR

• 7. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                      Hansangb Level 1

Hmmm, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.  Adobe tech support came back with "m2ts isn't a supported format...."  It is what it is I guess.

• 8. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

I managed to get my hands on some .m2ts files from online. As has been said, .m2ts is just the wrapper format with a variety of compression possibilities inside. For these files, Premiere Elements 7 did accept and playback the .m2ts files, video & audio. The gspot software did not help in my situation since it failed to supply any information for the audio portion of the file. But, the files that I looked at were all under 1 GB. Sorry that I could not find any larger.

If I renamed .m2ts to .mts, import/playback for video/audio was OK. If I renamed the file from .m2ts to .ts, Premiere Elements 7 would not import the file into the Media even using the All Files category of the Open dialog. So, so much for that idea previously suggested.

I was set back by your report of Adobe's comment about .m2ts not being supported by Premiere Elements 7 since that is the typical file extension for AVCHD which the 7 version supports. Did they think that you were talking about Premiere Elements 4?

ATR

• 9. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                          Hansangb Level 1

Actually, they gave me a URL that lists the supported platforms for version 6 and was told it's the same for version 7.

I loaded GSpot and both files (captured using working/older driver and not-working/newer driver) shows:

File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream
                          Mime Type: video/mp2t

I wasn't sure what else was pertinent.

So something changed in the newer drivers from Hauppauge/TME and Adobe can't deal with it.

• 10. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                            Hansangb Level 1

So I just saw that PE8 is out.  I downloaded the trial version and it works.  So I guess they fixed it when they went from version 7 to 8.

Thanks for the help everyone.  Much appreciated.

• 11. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hansangb

That was great news that Premiere Elements 8 is working for you for those video files with the file extension .m2ts.

Just a small clarification...in one of your previous posts you mentioned Adobe referring you to URL and comparison of versions 6 and 7. Did you really mean Premiere Elements 4 and 7? The Premiere Elements versions go 1, 2, 3, 4, 7. Adobe skipped naming of 5 and 6.

Continued success and please update us on your progress.

ATR

• 12. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                                Hansangb Level 1

That's weird.  This is the URL they sent me: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402471.html.  It does says "Elements 6.0 on Windows"

Little annoyed that ver 7 doensn't work and they just dismiss it with "we don't support the format"  Yet it's fixed in version 8.

I get that if they don't support it officially, you're out of luck, but still annoying.  I usually upgrade every other version.

Thanks for all the help!!

• 13. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe Adobe realized their typo, as that link is dead and goes to the main Adobe support page now. Could be a re-write in progress. Maybe even Adobe employees got confused with the version number changes that ATR pointed out.

Good luck, and glad that PrE 8 works for you,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hansangb

Thanks for the follow up.

That link is definitely a dud. I have run into at least one experience where I was given another Adobe telephone number by Adobe for follow up and ended up with a wrong number. I believe that the Vice President of Technical Service posted a notice about improved Technical Service in the works (assumed with updates for outdated URLs and telephone numbers).

You should be OK with Premiere Elements 8, but, if you ever decide to venture back into Premiere Elements 7 issue, I will try to rethink that issue. But, your workaround in your specific computer environment might end up being the final answer. But, we could try.

ATR

• 15. Re: PE7 4GB limit or no?  Or possible bug?
                                      The-Russ Level 1

Have you tried PE8?  My m2ts worked fine in 7, but I can not do anything in 8.