4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 9:03 PM by johnbarrett1

Been trying to get Flex 3 or Flash Builder to install on Snow Leopard

johnbarrett1 Level 1

Hi,

I am going crazy, every since I got Snow Leopard I can't get Flex 3 or flash builder to work. Okay they both install fine, but then when I open(either one) create a new new flex project, call it Hello World, and then open the project it crashes. If I dare try to use design mode it crashes right away even before it shows the design view.

What is the deal? Does Flex not work with Snow Leopard?

Has anybody goten Flex to install, and then work on Snow Leopard?

attached is my error log

Thanks so much for any help,

Johnny

• 1. Re: Been trying to get Flex 3 or Flash Builder to install on Snow Leopard
          Jason Villmer Level 1

Johnny,

I've hesitated on upgrading to 10.6 for this exact reason. Please let me (the forum) know if you're able to get up and running on Snow Leopard. I posted this question some time ago asking if folks were able to get F3 and FB4 running without issues.

Jason

• 2. Re: Been trying to get Flex 3 or Flash Builder to install on Snow Leopard
            Scott Kovatch

I use Snow Leopard and Flash Builder and haven't had any crashes like this, so I can say it does fundamentally work.

Looking at your crash log, it looks like there's some kind of problem with your Java installation, since your crash is in Apple's code. How did you install Snow Leopard? Via clean install or upgrade?

I'm seeing references to both Java 1.5 and Java 1.6's AWT in the crash log. That shouldn't be possible, as only Java 6 is on Snow Leopard. Did you save or install Java 5 on your system?

• 3. Re: Been trying to get Flex 3 or Flash Builder to install on Snow Leopard
              Jason Villmer Level 1

I believe I've heard of this Java conflict before. I'll assume that 

you've only got Java 1.6? Did you upgrade to Snow Leopard or upgrade? 

Possibly the issues are arising from those who upgrade - instead of a 

clean install?

• 4. Re: Been trying to get Flex 3 or Flash Builder to install on Snow Leopard
                johnbarrett1 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks so much for the responses, I have been so busy at school, and I have not had a chance to reply until now.

@Jason

yes if I knew I would have such issues with the software I use daily, Flex & ColdFusion I would have not done the upgrade. I finally got ColdFusion installed, but I had to go with ColdFusion 9 over ColdFuson 8. Like I said that Flex installs, but then it just crashes. I am determined to get this installed,and so when I find a solution I will for sure post it here`-`

Strangely I was about to get FDT 3.2 working, but when I install the update to that I can't use it.

@Scott

I am glad to hear that you have gotten it to work, this is encouraging`-`

I had a nightmare with SnowLeopard, and I had to do 3 installs, the first 2 on top of Leopard, and the last one(the one that worked right) was to wipe out everything and install Snow Leopard, which would be a clean install. before this ColdFusion would not install.

Yes I followed this post:

http://www.robertburns.me/blog/?p=38 to get ColdFuson 8 working, it didn't work,and I installed ColdFusion 9 instead. However, when I use the terminal java -version I am shown:

java version "1.6.0_15"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-219)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-90, mixed mode)

Also, in Java preferences I have this structure

java_preferences.png

Is there a way to delete java 1.5? without causing problems? Should I do this?

The thing that really gets me my install(minus java 1.5) is like if I bought new macBook Pro, and getting Flex Builder working has not worked for me.