10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 11:12 AM by the_wine_snob

No Audio in PP CS4

Harrinj

Hi, need some help.  I imported video and audio from DVD using Studio 12 Ultimate, the resulting file was an mpg file. It plays perfectly in MS Media Player but when I import it into Premiere Pro CS4, it converts the video and conforms the audio (I see the status bar in the bottom right), but when it finishes, the audio doesn't play (no audio).  The file description in the project states it's 48,000 hz. compressed stereo, but it won't play.  I searched the Adobe support knowledge base and everything seems to say CS4 plays mpg audio, but I can't figure it out.  Any help would be appreciated...

J.D.

• 1. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

MPEG Audio can be highly problematic. My first choice would be to open the file in Soundbooth, basically ripping the Audio from your AV file. Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit and Import that into PrPro. I think that SB will do this semi-automatically, but use Audition, and do not know SB.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One consideration is that CS4.1 can Import DVD's .VOB files, so long as they are 100% DVD-compliant. Do not know the authoring program that you are using, but my guess would be that it plays a bit "fast and loose" with the DVD-specs. This ARTICLE might give you a bit of background on .VOB's.

As an aside, some MP3's can cause problems too. With the exception of tiny SFX MP3's, I always convert these to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit in Audition.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
              Harrinj Level 1

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately Soundbooth doesn't play the audio either (although the video played).  It's as if the audio isn't there.  What software can I use to try and strip the audio out and load it manually?.

J.D.

• 4. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would do would be to download, install and then use G-Spot, a freeware utility to discover all of the aspects of the MPEG-2, both Audio and Video. That will get you started.

Next, look into the freeware program, Audacity, and use it to rip the Audio from the muxed AV file. Do a Save_As with the specs., that I mentioned above. Import that into PrPro. As I do not use Soundbooth, I do not know its capabilities. Audition can rip the Audio from most muxed AV files.

Last, do you have CS4.1? Can you just copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD to your HDD, and then Import it into PrPro? That might well take care of things, providing that your DVD is 100% compliant. That would save the ripping step.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Next, look into the freeware program, Audacity, and use it to rip the Audio from the muxed AV file. Do a Save_As with the specs., that I mentioned above.

I'll second Audacity. However, you may need to also install the FFmpeg libraries that enable import and export of some additional media formats. Here's the download link and installation information.

• 6. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang, I forgot to mention that, and you just re-alerted me to it only days ago!

Thanks,

Hunt

• 7. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                      Harrinj Level 1

Well, I downloaded G-Spot and ran it against my mpg files. It said the audio was "DVD LPCM-Audio" and that the codecs were installed.  Next, I downloaded Audicity.  However, it says it recognized the file type but couldn't import it.  I planned to use Audicity to demux the file, but now I I have no idea how to that.. Any ideas on a path forward... 

J.D.

• 8. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                        Harrinj Level 1

Just sen this post.  Let me try to bring in a few more libraries...

• 9. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                          Harrinj Level 1

Who-hoo!  The FFMPEG libraries let Audicity read the files.  That doesn't answer why MS' free Media Player can find the proper codecs and Adobe's expensive CS4.1 can't, but it provides a good work-around.  Thanks for all the help!

J.D.

• 10. Re: No Audio in PP CS4
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            That doesn't answer why MS' free Media Player can find the proper codecs and Adobe's expensive CS4.1 can't,

There is a great deal of difference between playing a file and editing it.

My guess would be that the muxing of this AV file is the issue with CS4.1 not being able to rip the Audio.

Glad that Colin's addendum did it for you, and sorry that I missed adding that - I know better.

Good luck,

Hunt