16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 7:17 PM by xbytor2 Branched to a new discussion.

Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5

RandyS907

Well  to be more clear then the thread header, I am not able to select my old Nikon 5700 Coolpix files either. In other words the files are grey but the Adobe DNG browser is working when looking for file to select. I dropped the first download in the trash and downloaded again but same result.

I  have CS4 and all software is listed as compatible with Canon 5D mkII files. A friend of my was able open my 5D files from Adobe DNG 5.5 that were on his Windows platform.

i did not see any special instructions, and seems intuitive enough, but it must be some kind of Adobe 101 question. Any ideas out there. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Randy, can you please clarify what steps you are taking?

You mention "Adobe DNG browser." Unfortunately, I am not aware of any such product made by Adobe. You must be referring to Bridge, Photoshop, Camera Raw, or DNG Converter. Which of these do you mean?

Which platform are you on? Mac? Windows? Which version?

You also mentioned "Canon 5D mkII files". Do you mean full raw files, sRAW mode 1 files, sRAW mode 2 files, or JPEG files?

Eric

• 2. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
            RandyS907 Level 1

Well sorry for any confusion here. I don't think my question is vary misleading though.

I have a MAC using OS 10.4.11. G4 Dual 1000 Gig (2002) processors, 1.5 Gb SDRAM (maxed), Dedicated 80 Gb Scratch Disk for Photoshop, 500 Gb Internal Drive.

All operations are done using the MAC OS.

All files are grey when viewed through the  "Adobe DNG Converter 5.5" application browser. If you are familiar when you open Adobe DNG Converter the vary first step in the process is to ( 1. "Select Folder" ). Pressing this button opens a FINDER then if you will , (many applications refer this as using a their browser to locate files for opening).

I am referring to RAW files, and as stated earlier those from the 5D mk II and those from the  Nikon coolpix 5700 are not available for selection, or opening by Adobe DNG Converter 5.5, yet they are listed as being current with DNG Converter 5.5.   "All files are grey", So none of the image files have black text suggesting you may select those.

My  understanding is this converter was made for RAW files, not  "jpeg",  in hopes are creating a last RAW file format Standard that would be a usable archival format across mulitple platforms and through time   . The RAW files are Full 21 megapixel files, not the smaller files sizes  of RAW available on the 5D (ie: sRAW1, or sRAW2). The DNG converter should open all 5D mk II RAW files regardless of megapixel size unless otherwise stated.

My files can not be an issue , because also  stated  was that my files were opened by a DNG converter loaded on a Windows platform.

Procedure performed as follows:

- Open DNG Converter 5.5 on my Power MAC

- Press " Select Folder " step number list as "#1"

- DNG Finder or Browser opens allowing one to find the folder said RAW files are contained within for purpose of selecting full 21 megapixel RAW Format CR2 files for Conversion processing to a DNG file format.

- Oops, can't select, files have grey text appearance. There are no image files at all with Black Text of any format available for selection, so can't select.

Adobe Photoshop CS4, Adobe CS4 Bridge, Adobe Camera RAW, Canon Utility package for the 5D mk II all these applications see the files, and function with them, no crashes, not hang ups, a little slower then the world turns now days but they do what they were meant to do.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5

Randy, thank you for that explanation. It is clear to me now. When you press Select Folder in DNG Converter, the dialog box appears. The purpose of that dialog box is only to select the folder containing the images to be processed/converted. It is not the purpose of that dialog box to select individual raw files (like .CR2 raw files from the Canon 5D Mark II) to be processed.

Suppose you have a folder called "MyImages" containing 10 of your .CR2 raw files from your Canon 5D Mark II. Then, when you press the "Select Folder" button, you should navigate to the appropriate location and select MyImages and then click the "Select" button. That's it.

Eric

• 4. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                xbytor2 Level 4

My  understanding is this converter was made for RAW files, not  "jpeg"

The DNG converter will convert jpeg and tiff files to DNG format in addition to all of the raw formats it supports. I find it useful on occasion.

I can't help you with your current problem, however.

• 5. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                  RandyS907 Level 1

Okay, thanx Got it.

See it was a 101 question and answer. I was looking to make a selection of Individual RAW files in my folder for my testing the performance of the DNG Converter 5.5.

The program apparently wants you to have a folder from which all contents inside are to be converted. After creating a fold and moving one RAW file to that selected folder and running the process the file inside was converted.

Thank for your time and effort  Eric.

• 6. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5

Hi Randy, no problem. You are right, DNG Converter was designed primarily with batch conversion in mind. The idea is that it's pretty common to shoot a bunch of images at once, which are all stored within a folder on the memory card. Once you've copied that folder off the card (e.g., to a local hard drive), you can then point DNG Converter to that folder and let it rip.

Eric

• 7. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                      RandyS907 Level 1

Xbytor2

Well thanks everyone, replies are happening fast now. If you don't mind.

how is there any bennifet to converting a Jpeg or a Tiff image. Tiff is more lossless but these files don't contain the full range of image information that the RAW format had.

Are we expecting to loose Jpeg and Tiff files expressions in the future? 

Is there any processing advantage by altering these files to DNG Format ?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                        xbytor2 Level 4
                        Is there any processing advantage by altering these files to DNG Format ?

Two words: Parametric Editing.

No; make that 5 words: Parameteric Editing in Camera Raw.

I do this with jpegs never with tiffs. For instance, somebody sends me a couple of jpegs from their Generic P&S and asks me to 'fix them'. If it's more than one file, I'll run DNG converter (or one of my PS scripts that calls it) on the folder.

I then load the file into ACR and do as much editing as I can. If I can't easily do everything there, I save it out as a 16bit PSD and finish it off in Photoshop. When I'm done in PS, I save out a jpg and send it back to them. You could just load the original image in PS, save as a 16bit PSD, do your edits there and skip Camera Raw (and DNG) completely. But I'm trying to do as much as I can in ACR these days.

• 9. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                          RandyS907 Level 1

Okay, like simultaneous multiple image batch processing of images shot under conditions of lighting and subjects constants.

Is there any reasonable argument for keeping CR2 RAW files (images), as CR2 RAW file formats then?

Okay, I well try to Google some perspectives or arguments for and against just Batching your image files  (from CR2 RAW files in my case) Straight  to Adobe DNG after shooting prior  to any processing. I would like to know your perspective on this, does it hurt me in anyway or is it only really the only logical direction?

• 10. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                            xbytor2 Level 4

I shoot a Nikon with the best dual raw and jpg I can. I copy from my card to a folder on my desktop then run a PS script that creates target folders with YYYYMMDD names and subfolders for nef and jpg files and the files are moved there. I fire up Bridge, point it at the nef folder and immediately toss the obvious junk. The remaining files get converted to DNG in a separate folder. From here on out I edit the DNGs. After I do a quick edit pass (for white balance and exposure) I throw out more junk then copy the folders to my primary work drive. From there, the images will get duped to one or more external drives.

But my basic rules are:

- always retain the original nef files (minus any junk)

- only edit DNGs

- convert to PSD for more processing when necessary

- backup everything at least twice.

I have all of my nefs if I ever need them. Nikon may someday have some compelling feature in their software that only works with untouched nefs.

It takes a lot of disk space but it saves a lot of (potential) grief. I made the mistake of not retaining raw files shortly after I went digital. The DNG

format makes this less of an issue, but I'm still being cautious.

BTW, I shoot raw/jpeg because Nikon's rendering to JPEG can be more accurate than my memory

• 11. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                              RandyS907 Level 1

Many Thanks,  and prosperous shoots

• 12. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                                RandyS907 Level 1

Okay, sorry, no need to reply.

I re-read all the post and see two things. One: that i am allowed to make an individual selection and two: that someone else has entered a request for assistance and that the recent replies were not meant for me. Thanks again. all.

• 13. Got it going with simple adobe raw update but now a new issue
                                  switepine Level 1

with my new mac, i usually plug in my card reader after shooting and do some quick high grading in teh card with Bridge labeling such as 5star or red  label and then  delete the junk and download them to a "PORTABLE" harddrive (or two!) and then go thru and do the same thing for a highgrade of my work, well with the new mac it WILL NOT allow me to use the labeling system on a PORTABLE harddrive? It WILL allow me to do it to a file loaded onto the onboard mac Hardrive? Anyone have any insight into this? Of course ADOBE CUSTOMER service (which is not customer service!) does exhist!

• 14. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                                    JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

xbytor2,

I'm curious to understand why it is that you only edit the DNG files.  What is the advantage of doing that as opposed to editing the original NEF files?

• 15. Re: Got it going with simple adobe raw update but now a new issue
                                      adobe-admin Adobe Employee

Switepine, please start a new thread. Your question doesn't have anything to do with the DNG converter being discusse here.

Thanks!

• 16. Re: Canon 5D Mk II Raw files not selectable by Adobe DNG 5.5
                                        xbytor2 Level 4

Sidecar xmp files are a pain to deal with, not just from a file management point of view but from a programming point of view. I write code to support my workflows and for others and when the only raw format I have to deal with is DNG, life is much easier.