5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 12:14 PM by Mylenium

Layered PSDs Being Loaded Into AE - Comps Won't Exceed Six Frames

londoncalling1979

I makes backgrounds in Photoshop, and load the layered PSDs into After Effects. The backgrounds are loaded as comps.

In the last couple of days, when I load the PSD backgrounds into AE, the comps for those backgrounds are always six frames. If I try to extend the length of the comps, the layers remain fixed at six frames, no matter what I do.

The only solution is to flatten the image in Photoshop, and load the flattened PSD into AE.

What switch did I trip that is forcing the background PSD comps to be six frames?

Thx

• 1. Re: Layered PSDs Being Loaded Into AE - Comps Won't Exceed Six Frames
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Create a comp manually with the desired duration. Import as comp will use the duration from the last time you created a comp as a default. Also check your still duration setting in the preferences. Set it to a suitable fixed length, not comp duration, if this behavior bugs you. What version of AE are you using? In CS3 and CS4 your should be able to extend still durations without issues. Only older versions are locked into using the duration at the time of import...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Layered PSDs Being Loaded Into AE - Comps Won't Exceed Six Frames
            londoncalling1979 Level 1

Mylenium,

First, thank you for your reply.

Create a comp manually with the desired duration. Import as comp will use the duration from the last time you created a comp as a default.

Yes, that is what I have been doing for years. I make animations with multiple comps, so the default time of the last comp has always been exactly what I needed.

This problem only showed up on Sunday, and I didn't mess with the Preferences.

What version of AE are you using? In CS3 and CS4 your should be able to extend still durations without issues.

I am using CS3, and have been able to extend the durations until last Sunday. Now the backgrounds I import are fixed at six frames, and I never make six frame comps, and when I try to extend them, they will not extend. For example, I just tried to extend one from 0:06 to 6:12. The  Comp itself will extend, but the layers seemed to be locked, and I can't drag them to a longer duration.

• 3. Re: Layered PSDs Being Loaded Into AE - Comps Won't Exceed Six Frames

Mmh, have you considered trashing the prefs? Manually delete it from the directory (C:\Documents and Settings\You\Application Data\Adobe\After Effects\8.0) or hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift while launching AE. I know it's inconvenient, but may actually solve the problem. Other than that I could only think of the PSDs being tainted somehow and AE interpreting that info. E.g. if you had the Animation window open in PS, some keyframe info may have been generated...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Layered PSDs Being Loaded Into AE - Comps Won't Exceed Six Frames
                londoncalling1979 Level 1

I will try trashing the Prefs. Any idea where I can find that on the Mac?

I'm not sure how the PSDs could have been tainted in Photoshop. I never open the Animation panel in Photoshop.

Thanks,

Mike

• 5. Re: Layered PSDs Being Loaded Into AE - Comps Won't Exceed Six Frames

I will try trashing the Prefs. Any idea where I can find that on the Mac?

Users:You:Preferences:Adobe:After Effects:8.0

I'm not sure how the PSDs could have been tainted in Photoshop. I never open the Animation panel in Photoshop.

Yes, of course. just a thought...   You know, a lot of this is just feeble attempts at telepathy .

Mylenium