7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 6:50 AM by Jacob Bugge

Line distortion in png export

jkadobeil

I have a number of identical lines in my image (attached). However, when the image is exported, the lines look slightly different (some appear thicker or blurry). I have tried both the save for web at original png 24 option and the export option from the file menu.

I would appreciate any help in getting this exported so the lines look the same please. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Line distortion in png export
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You need to align them perfectly with the pixel grid in your AI document. This is normal antialiasing behavior, if a line does not properly coincide with a ful lrow of pixels. Enable pixel preview and adjust the positions accordingly. Also make sure, you are not resizing the output or all your meticulous placment will go away again and the blurry lines come back.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Line distortion in png export
            jkadobeil Level 1

Hi, thank you for the advice. I have enabled the pixel preview, but the lines all still look the same. How do I align them to a row of pixels as you suggest? I should note the lines are only 0.25 pixels high in illustrator (is designing at levels below 1 pixel bad?).

• 3. Re: Line distortion in png export
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

jkadobel,

How do I align them to a row of pixels as you suggest? I should note the lines are only 0.25 pixels high in illustrator (is designing at levels below 1 pixel bad?).

Each should be placed fully within one pixel row, preferebly at the same vertical position within it. The use of 0.25 pixel lines results in paler lines, not thinner lines.

• 4. Re: Line distortion in png export
                jkadobeil Level 1

Hi, thank you for replying.

I changed the line size to 1 pixel, but this resulted in a much thicker and darker line than I need. I have also experimented with moving the lines up or down in 4 increments of 0.25 pixels in order to hit a pixel row, but the result stays the same! I'm really at a loss.

• 5. Re: Line distortion in png export

jkadobel,

Have you tried placing each line individually at the same vertical position within its row?

It looks as if each line in the upper set is placed in one way (possibly at the border between two rows), and each liner in the lower ones in another way (possibly somewhere within a row).

• 6. Re: Line distortion in png export
                    jkadobeil Level 1

The lines are all at the exact same vertical position, and all are copies of the original line. There are no other borders, the lines form the borders.

• 7. Re: Line distortion in png export

jkadobeil,

I use the term borders in the sense borders between rows of pixels on the Artboard/Workspace.

If the lines are placed an exact number of pixels apart vertically, in other words being placed identically in their pixel rows, the issue is quite strange.