14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 6:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Serius project problems - Need help please

spyvspyaeon Level 1

Hi,

I'm using adobe premiere and after effects to my last film (this is not the first time). I'm using DV 1280*720 default sound settings (as I did before in other movies). I have an Imac C2D and plenty of hard disk space.

Yesterday when I import new takes and done some light fx's (blur 10% and tint) when I saved the premiere frozen for 30 minutes and then I had to force quit.

When I've tried to open that project again, it just don't open. I've tried everything. See if there was any corrupted file, checked for Hard drive problem (it doesn't have any) and I delete the previous rendered files (as I saw on some tutorial).

At least I could recover that project using autosaved and previous project backup (I take care always of saving backups).

But when I saved again (the new recovered and rendered project) it freezes on quit and there comes again. (it seems that premiere it is getting something from the old(damaged) project and just stack there !!!!!!

The project then it just don't open (I don't see any error message) I just see after 1 hour my premiere freezed and there is no way to see the timeline to fix anything.

I assume that I have to recover again and to all work over and over. I saw some forums talking about adobe "broken links" something related to video files source and corrupted files, but I still don't get it (since premiere doesn't tells me what is going wrong!!!!!!). They talk about deleting MACC file on windows but I'm on a mac. I didn't saw any tutorial about recovering.

whe this thing happens I see my timeline with video and audio. I can render but when I quit the program doesn't load the project again.

Please any help...... I'm working since a month ago on this movie and I need to deleiver that asap.

Is it better to export the video in parts and them join in a new project or there is any other thing that I can do without missing my month of work.

ohhh man I just want to scream

• 1. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          DV 1280*720

That is an oxymoron. DV is 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL, never 1280 x 720.

• 2. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
            spyvspyaeon Level 1

Sorry I guess it is not this format. At least I am sure that it is 1280x720 (I guess this is not so relevant for the problem since I've done other many videos before on that format and exported that as H264 mp4 1280x720 and worked really fine, really got HD when using video games capture).

I do assume that this video project it is a lil bit bigger (4 minutes on premiere is big??) than the others that I've done before. But this is a problem to premiere ? (I have to add that I am running with 4 gigas of RAM). My project files are all on the same folder, I've set the scratch on the begining to the same as project.

I'm very frustrated, I have there 1 month of precious work and I have all this backup files, but every time I try to open and render, when I save and quit the saved project doesn't load.

And I'm terrible lost, the premiere just stucks after saving and closing and there is no way to load the saved project. I just see the loading project bar fill up and then nothing. Neither a error message, just nothing than hangs up.

• 3. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Please give us complete details about your computer, especially all about your HDD's and how they are allocated.

Next, please verify your Project/Sequence Presets. Do they match your footage 100%?

Last, full details on your Assets will help. Tell us about your Imported/Captured Video Assets, your still images and your Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                spyvspyaeon Level 1

For any reason that I can't explain when I arrived home after day work, I've tried last time before looking my backups and Premiere loaded my project

Before save and quit I've take a look in all file (check the link and where is the source) I found 2 still frames (photos) were lost ( i mean from my hard drive).

My biggest clue now it is, when I deleted some video file before, when I enter the premiere project 1st thing that show it is a windows asking me to "point" where is that file.

But when happens with a photo, premiere doesn't say that this files are lost. It just stucks your project. Any tip to prevent this again?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    iMac
                  Model Identifier:    iMac7,1
                  Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo
                  Processor Speed:    2.4 GHz
                  Number Of Processors:    1
                  Total Number Of Cores:    2
                  L2 Cache:    4 MB
                  Memory:    4 GB
                  Bus Speed:    800 MHz

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor:    Intel
                  Product:    ICH8-M AHCI
                  Speed:    3 Gigabit
                  Description:    AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

WDC WD3200AAJS-40VWA1:

Capacity:    298.09 GB
                  Model:    WDC WD3200AAJS-40VWA1
                  Revision:    58.01D02
                  Native Command Queuing:    Yes
                  Queue Depth:    32
                  Removable Media:    No
                  Detachable Drive:    No
                  BSD Name:    disk0
                  Mac OS 9 Drivers:    No
                  Partition Map Type:    GPT (GUID Partition Table)
                  S.M.A.R.T. status:    Verified
                  Volumes:
                iMac:
                  Capacity:    297.77 GB
                  Available:    158.68 GB
                  Writable:    Yes
                  File System:    Journaled HFS+
                  BSD Name:    disk0s2
                  Mount Point:    /

ps: about your question "Next, please verify your Project/Sequence Presets. Do they match your footage 100%?" I've changed 2 video files, they were pretty bigger than the part I was taking for this project, so I edit and save just the part that I am using.

Btw I've heard that Journaled HFS+ it is not good on Imac to use premiere render option. Is that right?

Many thanks in advance.

• 5. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Apart from your source material, you have a serious hardware problem when you are editing HDV material. You only have one 320 GB disk and minimum requirements are:

Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred
                  1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                    spyvspyaeon Level 1

I'm not totally sure if it DV or HDV. I just remember that I set video area to 1280x720 (sorry my mistake mention that before).

ok, better explain what I am doing. I film on Second Life with Snapz pro x (capture program) with 1280x720. Then I import this .mov files (pure quicktime) into the timeline and work some effects and others I do it on after effects.

When I export the projects I just set it to h.264 - HDTV 720p 23,97 high quality, Done this tons of times and have never had any problem on rendering.

Remeber, my problem it was a still psd file imported to the project that went lost on my hard drive and Premiere just hangs when that happens, but never happened before with a video file or music file.

I guess that is my problem since I delete those links on my project and now look like it is working (or at least project loads up on my premiere).

• 7. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                      SFL46 Level 3

I'm not at my editing station, so my suggestion my be all wet.

When I have deleted assets from the project panel, Premiere has notified me with a dialog box that the asset is used in a sequence and deleting it will cause the asset to be deleted from the sequence.  A great warning.  Since you haven't seen this message, apparently you must be deleting using Windows Explorer.

If you were to always delete using the project panel, you could perhaps prevent the problem you reported.

Since most of my PSD files are stored on a mirror raid array NAS, I will manually copy (save) the PSD file into the directory for the particular project before I import it.  ALthough this is done to avoid the slower data transfer of the NAS when rendering, I'm less likely to goof and delete a needed file than if the file was located in a MY DOCUMENTS folder with 100's of other files

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                        spyvspyaeon Level 1

Yes indeed. Now becomes clear.

I'm just thinking if doing the "project manager" and import all project files into a new folder. Well I see that I need to keep me more organized.

Thanks a lot.

• 9. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                          sbvideoprod Level 1

Did anybody figure this one out... I am in the middle of this exact same issue. Large project... worked all day yesterday. When I tried to open today, the project load bar goes to about 75% and hangs up.

I'm on a pretty robust machine. Quad core, 6mb Ram fx1700 video card, Matrox rtx2

If you guys have any clues, I would love to hear them.

• 10. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, what version of PrPro are you using? Also, do you have the very latest Matrox drivers. It took Matrox quite a while to get drivers for CS4.1, and PrPro is not up to CS4.2, so I doubt that Matrox has drivers for that version.

When one has a Matrox card involved, the majority of issues seem to boil down to the Matorx drivers. Might not be your case, but it's so very common, that I have to ask.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - can you Import your old Project into a new one, with the correct Sequene Presets? If so, twirl down your Bins to get to your Sequence Timeline and Dbl-click on it to open it.

• 11. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                              sbvideoprod Level 1

Actually, I can't import... I keep getting Adobe Dynamic Link Error.. I have all the proper Matrox drivers, and updated Premiere software... actually had to roll back to ver 4.1 on Premire Pro Master Collection to accomodate Matrox. Reinstalled the entire Master Collection too.

This is a baffeling problem... it sprun up out of nowhere.

I've been having absolutely no problems up until now... crazy stuff. I'm stumped

• 12. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                                sbvideoprod Level 1

I am fairly sure it has to do with a corrupt sequence. because, I can open an autosaved project that does not have anything to do with the last sequence I was working on/

• 13. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                                  westonwoodbury Level 1

The first poster said it freezes and stuff again, when trying to export or render the autosaved project, though?

It's maybe pulling bad preview or rendered files.

My first step would be deleting the 3 folders next to your project file--encoded files, media cache files, preview files.  Do this while Premeire is closed.

Open the project and let it regenerate everything (it'll have to do all it's conforming and waveforms and all that junk).

If there's problems after that, command A your timeline, copy it.  Make a completely new project, with a new sequence.  And paste the timeline into that.

Wait again for all that crap, then see if there are still problems.

If it's still giving you issues, see if you can narrow the freeze down--does it freeze at a specific point every time?  If so, you need to find out what specific filter or clip or whatever is doing it.  Try exporting it without the suspected filter checked on.

Yes, there are filters inside of Premiere that apparently the program doesn't support.  I've had this happen a couple of times.

A good rule of thumb is to not edit film on Premiere.  If it's longer than about 5 minutes, I try to avoid premiere, if it's longer than like 10-15 minutes, I'll avoid premiere at all costs.  It just simply saves headaches. 

Also, I always save "versions" often--on a good project, I'll have a good 100+ saved project files with descending names (proj A,proj B,proj C etc), so I have something to fall back on.

Tyler

• 14. Re: Serius project problems - Need help please
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

If it is a corrupt Sequence, this entry in the PrPro-Wiki might offer some tips.

Hope something there helps, and good luck,

Hunt