4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 12:24 PM by jamedit

Client Preview in After Effects

jamedit

I'm running After Effects ver.8 (CS3) on a nearly new 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac with 6GB RAM. I'm using an AJA ioHD for output to my broadcast monitors. I'm primarily a Final Cut Pro/Avid editor and am back on a rather large AE project after a few years hiatus other than doing minor animated type overlays and such for import back into my editing program.

The project is a little over 2 minutes and has dozens of layers - mostly type, photos and vector files. Very little footage-wise. My question is how to preview the entire 2 minute project at high quality for my clients who are behind me. Is there any way to just render it out in the timeline like you would in FCP or Avid and play it? I can preview sections of it or I can do the whole thing at half-res or skipping frames. I know that I can render out a movie to the finder and then import it back into FCP, but I would think that AE now has a way to render it and just hit "play" in the timeline.

Is there a way to do this? Or should I be getting more throughput with 6GB of RAM? Are my scratch disk settings maybe wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

• 1. Re: Client Preview in After Effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, no and no (mostly). RAM previews are the only way to get guaranteed realtime playback and prevciewing 2 minutes at a time is simply impossible with a 32bit app that can only address 4GB of RAM such as AE is. Sorry, you are really out of luck on that one. The only thing you can do is to try and use the disk cache. Cached frames may play fast enough from disk, if they are fast enough, but there is no guarantees, either. Also note, that AE will weigh your processor performanceagainst the disk performance, so if it thinks it can calculate something faster than read it from disk, it will not cache. Inm addition, caching realyl only takes off if the project is structured accordingly, meaning there are sub-comps that can be cached and are not invalidated with every small change in teh parent comp.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Client Preview in After Effects
            jamedit Level 1

Thanks, Mylenium. I was afraid of that. Seems like there should be a way that it can basically do a full render, but stay within the project and play it out on the timeline if you can do it in most editors. Maybe they'll add it in a later version.

Eddie

• 3. Re: Client Preview in After Effects
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I doubt that. The caching (both to disk and RAM) will get smarter and longer e.g. by moving to a 64bit version, but since nobody can predict your project structure, there will always be enough scenarios where this will break. It#s realyl the differnce between an editing suite and a compositing program - you can predict the number of video tracks in an editing program and optimize the hell out of it, but you can hardly predict the number, size, effects, blending modes etc. in a compositing app. Room for optimization is therefore ultimately limited by how complex a project a user creates (among other factors).

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Client Preview in After Effects
                jamedit Level 1

Gotcha. That makes total sense. That's why I normally hand off these things to my Flame artist. It's been fun being back on AE, though after a few years.

Cheers,

Eddie