2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 10:57 AM by Navarro Parker

Max file name length for FLV files?

Navarro Parker Level 3

So I ran into the terrible AE devil-goat/emu/llama sound when trying to render out some FLVs with long file names. (The filenames render just fine as Quicktimes and image sequences)

Picture 17.png

What's the max file name length? And why is it shorter than what the OS can support?

• 1. Re: Max file name length for FLV files?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Navarro Parker wrote:

So I ran into the terrible AE devil-goat/emu/llama sound when trying to render out some FLVs with long file names. (The filenames render just fine as Quicktimes and image sequences)

Picture 17.png

What's the max file name length? And why is it shorter than what the OS can support?

I never use such "evil" long file names, but if it gets truncated, then this is a feature of the FLV exporter to make it compliant for web. Most web servers are set up with default settings that limit the lengths of URLs, path levels and ultimately also the file names to avoid security issues, and for the file names that is usually 32 or 64 characters. If you will, it makes sense in tehg context the feature is provided (even more so, if you batch convert with AME), but is of course inconvenient for your immediate needs.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Max file name length for FLV files?
            Navarro Parker Level 3

Ah! Web security makes sense. It would have been nicer if AE gave better explainations why an error occured. Devil goat cries and cryptic logs don't help much!  I only thought to make the filename shorter after half a day of experimentation with other settings. (I thought Nucleo Pro had some issue with FLVs at first!)