3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 8:57 AM by Ned Murphy

flash button highlight

lettynlou

Hello,

I am creating a small flash slide show with buttons that bring up 5 different pictures.  Is there anyway for the button to have an active state (so that when it's corresponding picture is displayed, the button is highlighted)?  I apologize if this is a stupid question, but any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks,

Letty

• 1. Re: flash button highlight
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One thing you can do is to have a highlight movieclip, like a glowing surrounding shape, that sits behind the buttons and appears for the button that is clicked, either having x-number of them or just one that you move from selected button to selected button.

Another approach is to have movieclips as buttons so that you can control where they are on their own timelines with the click handling functions.

If you are using AS3, there is also a way you can force a button to retain a certain state, but I am not well-versed in that new dimension for buttons, and for what I saw of it, it seems less confusing (to me) to take a movieclip approach.

• 2. Re: flash button highlight
            lettynlou Level 1

Thanks so much for the response!  I didn't think of the movieclip-behind-button solution.  That should work nicely for me.  Thanks again

• 3. Re: flash button highlight
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome