7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 7:20 PM by M.Jay.Victor

A thick outline

M0man Level 1

Hi all, I have a quick question, I started toying with the idea of doing my animation clean ups in Illustrator and I have a series of rather detailed line work that I would like to add a thicker outline to. I'm wondering if anyone has come across of knows of a fast way to accomplish this.

Any thoughts would be great,

Cheers,

-Ford

• 1. Re: A thick outline
          [scott] Level 6
          1. Select All
          2. Object > Group
          3. Click the "New Stroke" button at the bottom of the Appearance Panel
          4. Click-drag the stroke below "Contents" in the Appearance Panel
          5. Recolor and adjust stroke to your liking.

stroke.jpg

• 2. Re: A thick outline
            M0man Level 1

Thanks for that, Unfortunately didn't work for me because the line art isn't coloured yet. If I do colour it in illustrator though that'll definitely come in handy,

Cheers again.

• 3. Re: A thick outline
              RotoRouter Level 1

Hey Scott,

That is cool.

How do you ungroup it and keep the outline shape that you created ie. The black object.

When I replicate your demo it works fine, as soon as I ungroup the 3 objects I lose the outline.

TIA

Chris

• 4. Re: A thick outline
                M0man Level 1

The problem is that you've asked Illustrator to make an outline for the 3 shapes as an individual, If you separate the 3 objects they get split into different levels so the outline will overlap the other shapes. An imperfect answer would be to replicate the shapes, Increase their stroke, Place them behind the originals and change their colour to black. There is probably a better way to do it.

• 5. Re: A thick outline
                  [scott] Level 6

M0man wrote:

.... because the line art isn't coloured yet. ....

Ya lost me. If the art isn't colored, then just change the stroke weight on the art to thicken the strokes. If the art is filled with white, the above Appearance setting will still work. You can also apply a new stroke (via the Appearance panel) to individual objects, they don't have to be grouped.

RotoRouter wrote:

Hey Scott,

That is cool.

How do you ungroup it and keep the outline shape that you created ie. The black object.

When I replicate your demo it works fine, as soon as I ungroup the 3 objects I lose the outline.

TIA

Chris

If you want the thick strokes on the individual objects, just don't group them and apply a stroke.. If you want to keep the thick stroke on the group but move one of the objects, don't ungroup them. Use the Direct Selection Tool (the white arrow) to move things or use Isolation mode or the layers panel.

Every project is different. There is no single solution that will work in 100% of the cases. The artwork determines the best method to use. However, get to know the Appearance Panel. It's a very powerful tool.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: A thick outline
                    M0man Level 1

Yeah, It's literally 'line art' at the moment, There are no enclosed shapes or fill colors. When it comes to adding a outline, I'll just use the live paint to fill it with white and use the method you recommended, Thank you very much for your help, It was definitely the right answer and useful

Cheers

-Ford

• 7. Re: A thick outline
                      M.Jay.Victor Level 2

You could expand the stroke before you ungrouped i believe... might even be able to make a live paint group, then expand as werll...

Either one should lead you to being able to ungroup them and keep the black background.