4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 5:04 AM by cvreeland

AI on my mac Hanging - All of a Sudden

laurenjj

I've been using CS3 for a while, no problems....today I go to open AI and it's hanging and eating up my comp memory.... I have 13.0.2 and have done nothing different or installed anything in the last 24 hours but it's just sitting there, hanging.  It says it's in the 'initializing' stage. I've forced quit, restarted my computer, cursed, apologized, restarted again... Nothing.  I tried opening up Indesign just to see if it was a CS3 thing or just an AI thing, and apparently it's just an AI thing which further boggles my mind.  I'm out of town and don't have the installation CD with me else I would reinstall even though I'd of course rather not because I don't know what it will do the rest of settings, plugins and updates...but that's moot because like I said, I don't have the CD.

Are there any files somewhere that I should delete? Change? Add?

Would appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Lauren

• 1. Re: AI on my mac Hanging - All of a Sudden
          cvreeland

Start by deleting (or moving to the desktop so you can put it back) /Users/Username/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.illustrator.plist.

There's also /Users/Username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS 3 Settings/Adobe Illustrator Prefs.

In fact, I'd try moving all the contents of that folder to your desktop -- it could be a number of things there that are corrupt. Don't trash it yet though, as you'll lose your workspaces & custom keyboard shortcuts if you do. Once you determine those files AREN'T the problem, you can put them back.

You can also try creating a new user account, log it  to it and see if the problem persists. If not, then you know it's not the app --  it's something in your regular user account.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AI on my mac Hanging - All of a Sudden
            laurenjj Level 1

Wow....You are my HERO.  Seriously.  I first moved the first file you suggested and tried opening AI and it still didn't work but then I removed the entire folder as you suggested and viola! It worked!  I have absolutely no idea what it means as I just don't get how something just went wrong when it closed down properly the last time it was used and everything but it's back now so  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Oh...and THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lauren

• 3. Re: AI on my mac Hanging - All of a Sudden
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Lauren,

I have absolutely no idea what it means as I just don't get how something just went wrong when it closed down properly the last time it was used and everything

When you put Illy to sleep, all the preferences including recent changes are saved in a number of files, most of them in that folder. When you wake her again, they are applied. I believe the corruption is caused by the OS. Some experience it often, others, such as myself, have never tried it.

You may see the long answer (written for Windows users in the days of the fair forums before the merge) here, in the hint how to Move the folder

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: AI on my mac Hanging - All of a Sudden
                cvreeland Level 1

Yay! Glad it worked.