5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 2:21 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Missing export presets

burksworks

Hi,

I am missing some presets in my After Effects CS4 render menu. If I compare the preset options to the same formats available in Adobe Media Encoder, it seems like I am missing all of the High Quality presets.

For example, if I choose MPEG2-DVD as my format, in After Effects the only presets I have are NTSC Widescreen 23.976p Medium Quality, NTSC Low Quality,  NTSC Medium Quality,  PAL Low Quality,  PAL Medium  Quality. 

In Adobe Media Encoder I have many additional options such as NTSC Progressive High Quality, NTSC High Quality SurCode for Dolby Digital 5.1, NTSC Widescreen High Quality, etc, etc.

Is there some reason I can't render at these levels out of After Effects?  Or is this a problem with my install?  I am running Adobe Master Collection CS4.

Thanks,

Graham

• 1. Re: Missing export presets
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, normal behavior. The AME presets are simply stored differently in a format AE does not use plus, of course, AE being quite limited when it comes to multi-frame temporal compression, some of them wouldn't make any sense at all.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Missing export presets
            burksworks Level 1

So, if I want to get my AE comp rendered for DVD at NTSC Widescreen 23.976p High Quality, is the best workflow to open up Adobe Media Encoder and click Add After Effects Composition?  It seems like Adobe Media Encoder doesn't take advantage of all my memory and processor cores the way AE does.

The export option windows look so similar between the two programs, I would have assumed the same software/render engine drove both programs, and that they would both have the same export options.

• 3. Re: Missing export presets
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              The export option windows look so similar between the two programs, I would have assumed the same software/render engine drove both programs, and that they would both have the same export options.

That's true, except for 2 pass encoding, which is something the AE Render Queue can't do.

So, if I want to get my AE comp rendered for DVD at NTSC Widescreen 23.976p High Quality, is the best workflow to open up Adobe Media Encoder and click Add After Effects Composition?  It seems like Adobe Media Encoder doesn't take advantage of all my memory and processor cores the way AE does.

You can do that, and multiprocessing should work, but rendering an AE Comp using 2 pass encoding will take about twice as long. So it's a good idea, except if you need 2 pass encoding. In that case, you can render a lossless video file from AE and use that as source in AME. The AME encode will be really fast, because it won't have to render the Comp, just encode. Make sure you enable 2 pass encoding in AME standalone (set "Bitrate encoding to "VBR, 2 pass". I don't think any of the AME presets enable 2 pass.

• 4. Re: Missing export presets
                burksworks Level 1

That makes me think that I should quit ever rendering delivery formats such as DVD, Blu-Ray, or H.264 for the web in After Effects.  I should always render lossless and let AME do VBR 2-pass.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Missing export presets
                  Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

It's not a bad conclusion, if quality is the main concern.

In other cases, exporting to distribution formats from AE is a convenient feature.