9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2009 2:01 PM by A.T. Romano

Crashes during render

theeaira

I have a project that will not complete its render.

The workbar is one hour and fifteen minutes, pulling from three HD mpeg files that are about 11 gigs each.

It is probably the longest project I've tried to render with Elements.  The desired format is AVI, NTSC widescreen.  I've tried rendering just a portion of the workbar (18 minutes) as an mpeg, but it crashes there also.

The render seems to fail at the same location for the most part, after 1.5 gigs have been produced.  There has been an instance where it crashed sooner than that.

The render starts off well enough, and it stops counting up and starts counting down at about 2:12:00.  After fifteen minutes I leave it alone.  I have not been able to catch it when it crashes, but when I return a white box has popped up-- strangely in a second instance of Elements-- that reads "Premiere elements has encountered an error..."

Since this project has failed to render I have still been able to render other projects up to forty minutes in length.

I have verified that there is enough space on the harddrive and we have defragmented the disc. Not sure what else to do at this point.

System Information
      ------------------
      Time of this report: 9/16/2009, 19:10:50
      Machine name: ES-1-PC
      Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
      Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
      System Model: FK792AA-ABA a6600f
      BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
      Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2200  @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
      Memory: 2940MB RAM
      Page File: 1559MB used, 4543MB available
      Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 10
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
      DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

---

Thanks to anyone who can help.

• 1. Re: Crashes during render
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are a couple of thoughts and some questions:

1.) What is happening at the point that the Render quits?

2.) Do you mean Render, or do you mean Export/Share?

3.) I did not see any mention of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, their speed, the controller type, how they are allocated, and maybe most importantly, how much defragmented free space they have on each.

4.) To "catch" the point of the failure, set up your video camera and record the screen. Play the tape back, and see when it crashes.

5.) See this ARTICLE to get the most out of your system.

6.) See this ARTICLE to perhaps find some "clues" that might help you find the problem at the point that things go bad.

7.) Can you tell us about your Project's Preset and also the full details of your Assets?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Crashes during render
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm also concerned about a few things, theearia.

For one thing, are you really using Vista SP1? That would make your operating system at least a year out of date!

It's very, very important that you keep your operating system up to date and that you have the latest version of Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

This is particularly true of Vista, which has had a major overhaul since its release a few short years ago. (You should be on SP2 and you should also have downloaded manually the other drivers and updates by going to Windows Update.)

Also, you don't say, but please ensure that you're using the proper HDV Premiere Project preset if you're working with HDV files. (The test will be that, if you add the video clips to your timeline, there will NOT be a red or green line above the clips until you add effects or transitions. If you are seeing a red line, you're using the wrong project settings, and that will cause your program to perform very inefficiently!)

Finally, please advise us if you are editing your video on your C drive or if you are working on a second or external drive. Your symptoms also seem to indicate you may be working on an improperly configured hard drive.

• 3. Re: Crashes during render
              AESOpsMgr.

This is the employer for theeairia.  She is out of the office today, but I wanted to be able to clarify some things on our problem to find a resolution.

I read the comments from Hunt & Steve.  I have gone ahead and updated QuickTime, and I will update Vista tonight.  However, while I don't mean to be disrespectful, I don't really understand how these two updates can have an impact on our problem at hand.  If both or either of these were the issue, than we would have had problems rendering several, if not all, of our other video files.  This is the ONLY one we've had the problem with, and we have done dozens BEFORE, as well as AFTER this particular file--and they all have rendered just fine.  Oh, and yes, we are "rendering" and not "Export/Share"

I would also like to clarify that the error code that shows up is as follows:

"Premiere elements has encountered an error.......\audiorender\stackaudiobuffer.cpp.58.

I saw another person have this same problem on your site, but then they never came back to say what fixed there problem; or if they ever fixed it.

Also, Theeaira says it CRASHES during the render.  This is not completely accurate, as the system does not "Crash"--we do not get the "BSOD" (Blue Screen of Death), and it doesn't lock up.  It just stops the program, and we get the afore mentioned white error box with the (above) error code.

Please let me know if the above added information gives you any more ideas.

• 4. Re: Crashes during render
                Kodebuster Level 3

OpsMgr, I did a quick Google on "stackaudiobuffer.cpp.58" and quite a number hits came back.

You may want do the same and see if any address your current issue.

One of interest surrounded Transitions and their placement:

http://adobe.groupbrowser.com/t221768.html

• 5. Re: Crashes during render
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

theeaira

Just some overall considerations...

The leads given your manager who supplied further details look promising, especially the one specific to the error message that he put a name on "audiorender\stockaudiobuffer.cpp.58" and its relation to possible transition placement in the issue. Troubleshooting becomes labored when those asking the question and those trying to answer the question take things for granted. So, the reason for all the questions. You could explore the lead by checking out your project components, removing transitions systematically, etc. There are all sorts of unexpected fixes to Premiere Elements problems, not all being caused by Premiere Elements. There was an issue at another forum where a user's system crashed when he tried to apply an effect or transition. No error messages, just crashes. Everything worked fine before. The cause was a problem with a component of his video card. Yes, I know that you said that other projects were working while this one was not.

All that being said. The following are offered as considerations for whenever you may need them.

You say that you "verified that there was enough space on the hard drive....". Are you working with just the (C:) local hard drive or do you have an external hard drive as well (formatted NTFS, not FAT32)?

Where are the Premiere Elements Scratch Files directed...to the default (C:) drive My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements Folder, same as project?

Or, are they directed to an external hard drive? If so, was that external hard drive free space also checked? When you Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard, the program generates previews files that can pile up in the Adobe Folder wherever it is and consume a lot of hard drive space (local or external), creating performance problems.

I am assuming that the 2940 MB RAM is installed RAM. What is the value for the available RAM? I did see your page file numbers. Are they under the control of the operating system or settings that you supplied? Is your computer system 32 or 64 bit? Especially if you are going to be working with larger project (HDV/AVCHD), check out Steve Grisetti FAQ about System Requirements for Premiere Elements 7 and recommendations included.

Also, you say "The desired format is AVI, NTSC widescreen". We need to explore that. Do you mean that you have two different export goals, namely, your Timeline exported as an .avi file and in addition your Timeline burned to a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format? You can export your Timeline to .avi by:

a. File Menu/Export/Movie and then use Microsoft DV AVI or Microsoft AVI 4:3 or 16:9 b. Share/Personal Computer/DV AVI. These files being saved to your computer hard drive. But remember, Microsoft DV AVI is standardized at a frame size of 720 x 480 (whether standard or widescreen).

NTSC Widescreen suggests to me that you want to generate a DVD-VIDEO on a DVD disc.

Finally, very important, what is the video/audio source, format, and duration of these "3 HD mpeg files, 11 GB each" that you have on your Timeline.

If you have been there, done that, then just file my comments away. Please update us on your progress.

AT

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Crashes during render
                    theeaira Level 1

We appreciate everyone who is trying to help.  I'm going to answer as many of these response-questions as I can.

What I mean by render is, yes, I'm trying to "share" the project.  Sorry about the confusion there.   

The goal is AVI because, once rendered (or shared), I will take the AVI file and place it in another Elements project with another rendered AVI.  From there I will create the DVD.  So yes, DVD is the eventual end result.

The project is on our "E:" drive.  This is an additional internal drive.  The preview files are within the project's folder on the E: drive.  The E: drive is formatted to NTSF.  There are 131 gigs available, 214 used.

The default project settings are: "NTSC-HDV-HDV-1080i 30"

The three 11 gig mpegs that I'm pulling from are about 55 minutes each.  They were captured from HDV miniDV tapes.

If the audio transitions are the issue, why only in this project I wonder?  I have about thirty of these constant-power clip-to-clip transitions in the project (another project I recently rendered was 40 minutes and had 26-- no trouble here).  I also have many more manual fades in which the audio of one clip fades down and at some point and the audio on another track starts and fades up.

Hmmm... When I edited this project I had to do some "creative" audio editing early on in the project.  I'll see if I can't simplify that-- perhaps this is where the project is failing:

I see now that, early in the project, I have one audio clip very short and two transitions themselves are meeting back to back.  I'll try that.

We're also rendering the project on another computer.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• 7. Re: Crashes during render
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Theeaira

I hope all is going well and that you will have good news soon, implicating an offending transition and/or audio or other Timeline component. Trying to systematically look for and isolate an offending component is a valid troubleshooting approach.

I have still another question for you (one of those considerations to be used when and if needed).

You say that you are capturing firewire HDV into Premiere Elements with the project preset of NTSC HDV HDV 1080i. So, you are ending up with HDV MPEG2 video with a .mpeg file extension on your Timeline.

Not completely clear on Share Route and Settings

I understand that you want to take these .mpeg file and convert them to .avi for use in another project later. Because your project preset is NTSC HDV HDV 1080i, when you go the route File Menu/Export/Movie, you will not see properties for an .avi file as the default as you would if your project preset were NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen. You will see in the settings summary:

File Name = Name of File_.mpeg

Filetype = MPEG Proxy

Compressor = I-Frame Only MPEG

Frame Size = 1440 x 1080

Frame Rate = 29.97

HD Anamorphic 1080 (1:333)

Fields: Upper Fields First

Audio

Compressor = Uncompressed

Sample Rate = 48000 samples/secon

Channels = Stereo

Sample Type = 16 bit.

So, I am assuming that you are changing the setting to Microsoft DV AVI or Microsoft AVI. Could you confirm which one.

Or, is your share via Share/Personal Computer/DV AVI or something else. I bring up this point since you say that the error is coming during rendering.

ATR

• 8. Re: Crashes during render
                        theeaira Level 1

I found the bug.

Early in the project I was trying to fix some crazy audio levels and then smooth out my fixes.  I had a short clip between two longer clips, and audio transitions between the short clip and longer clip.  I had dragged out the automatic transitions so far that they were touching.  In effect, the entire duration of the short audio clip was a transition, one in followed immediately by one out.

I deleted the transitions and just went with the audio pretty much as is.

So in conclusion, the problem was that I had two automatic audio transitions touching each other.

The first render did not go through completely, though.  And the second render I ended up crashing by peaking at the task manager (which was minimized) to see how much memory the program was using.  But when it crashed, it had managed to render more than before, so I was encouraged to just try again.  On the third time it completed.  I have a 16 gig fle.

Thanks everyone for helping us.

• 9. Re: Crashes during render
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Theeaira

You are to be congratulated on your hard work and stick-to-it-tiveness in working through the issues successfully.

Kodebuster did a great job, as usual, this time directing you to the lead on transition involvement in this type of issue.

Keep up the good work and please update us on your progress when you get the time.

ATR