International Search Engines?

Level 7
      I posted this over in WebDev but thought it might have better reception
      here.

In order to improve our international market, we have a budget to create
      3 translated pages. In other words, our intention is to create 3 landing
      pages that have been translated into French, Spanish and Italian. All
      for more or less than $1000.

I've checked mseo.com (they are everywhere you search on the internet)
      and I haven't found others yet.

To anyone, if you had a budget of $1000 for 3 languages, what would you
      do to improve international ratings?

Have you heard of mseo.com? do you know of any companies that specialize
      in international SEO?

Is there anything else that can be done to improve web rankings
      internationally?

Words of advice?
        • 1. Re: International Search Engines?
          Level 7
          Art wrote:
          > I posted this over in WebDev but thought it might have better
          > reception here.
          >
          > In order to improve our international market, we have a budget to
          > create 3 translated pages. In other words, our intention is to create
          > 3 landing pages that have been translated into French, Spanish and
          > Italian. All for more or less than $1000.
          >
          > I've checked mseo.com (they are everywhere you search on the internet)
          > and I haven't found others yet.
          >
          > To anyone, if you had a budget of $1000 for 3 languages, what would
          > you do to improve international ratings?
          >
          > Have you heard of mseo.com? do you know of any companies that
          > specialize in international SEO?
          >
          > Is there anything else that can be done to improve web rankings
          > internationally?
          >
          > Words of advice?

$1,000 for each language, or all three together?
          Does that include translating and recoding the pages, or just SEO?

The first thing I would do is register the appropriate company specific
          domain - e.g .fr, .es, .it. You may find that this can be a nuisance - you
          can't just hit the internet and register the .fr, for example; you need to
          prove that you have a business interest in France (it's a few years since I
          did this, but I don't believe it's changed). Buying .co.uk domains are one
          of the easiest country specific tld's to get, which makes the other
          countries rules sound a bit odd...

Anyway, $1,000 for SEO, even for only one language, sounds a bit low.....

Regards,

Pete.
          --
          Peter Connolly
          http://www.kpdirection.com
          Utah

• 2. Re: International Search Engines?
            Level 7
            > Anyway, $1,000 for SEO, even for only one language, sounds a bit
            low.....
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Pete.

Thanks Pete

If you go to mseo.com and watch their video, this company produces 3
            translated "landing pages" and submits them to their language specific
            browser for $1000. There's really not a lot of SEO involved.

My problem is that I just don't know what, exactly, the "landing page"
            that they create will be like. They say they create a landing page with
            an introduction in the language of choice, a link that specifies that
            the link takes them to an English only website, keywords and metatags
            but I'm sure if that's really all that much.

To better understand if they are doing it right, what would you include
            on a landing page? We have 1000s of products and I'm not so sure if
            those need to be reference somehow on that page; I doubt this mseo.com
            company would be able or willing to translate all my keywords because
            there would just be too many.

So, what should get included on a landing page for a foreign language
            entry page?

• 3. Re: International Search Engines?
              Level 7
              Art wrote:
              > To better understand if they are doing it right, what would you
              > include on a landing page? We have 1000s of products and I'm not so
              > sure if those need to be reference somehow on that page; I doubt this
              > mseo.com company would be able or willing to translate all my
              > keywords because there would just be too many.
              >
              > So, what should get included on a landing page for a foreign language
              > entry page?

Can you get the whole site translated, similar to http://www.agcofinance.biz
              or many other multinational companies, then just direct the user off to the
              appropriate sites/pages in the language of their choice?

I don't see any particular SEO advantage in just having one page translated;
              it wouldn't give the search engines much to chew on. If you were to do that,
              I'd have an overview of the company and products available on that page.

I suppose it all comes down to money; how much extra profit does your
              company get (or expect) from these countries? If it's anything but minimal,
              I'd propose that you shelve the 'SEO' bit in favour of producing real
              translations of the site.

HTH,

Pete.
              --
              Peter Connolly
              http://www.kpdirection.com
              Utah

• 4. Re: International Search Engines?
                Level 7
                PeteC wrote:
                > Art wrote:
                >> To better understand if they are doing it right, what would you
                >> include on a landing page? We have 1000s of products and I'm not so
                >> sure if those need to be reference somehow on that page; I doubt this
                >> mseo.com company would be able or willing to translate all my
                >> keywords because there would just be too many.
                >>
                >> So, what should get included on a landing page for a foreign language
                >> entry page?
                >
                > Can you get the whole site translated, similar to http://www.agcofinance.biz

http://www.agcofinance.biz/DE/content.asp looks like the sort of thing
                I'm talking about. It appears that they have an "entry" page that
                invites users, in their own language, to visit their site. That appears
                to be the sort of thing I'm talking about.
                > or many other multinational companies, then just direct the user off to the
                > appropriate sites/pages in the language of their choice?

However, no, we wouldn't be able to create a fully translated site. I
                would guess, since we have 1000s of products, it would just be too
                expensive to translate every product description in our database. Also,
                since we can only afford to offer English only service, they should be
                able to be able to communicate in English. I don't really see that as a
                problem.

>
                > I don't see any particular SEO advantage in just having one page translated;
                > it wouldn't give the search engines much to chew on. If you were to do that,
                > I'd have an overview of the company and products available on that page.
                >
                > I suppose it all comes down to money; how much extra profit does your
                > company get (or expect) from these countries? If it's anything but minimal,
                > I'd propose that you shelve the 'SEO' bit in favour of producing real
                > translations of the site.
                >
                > HTH,
                >
                > Pete.

We are more inclined to get "real" translation on a limited basis rather
                than SEO. However,some SEO is needed to "plant the seed."

You mentioned registering domains other networks like .de or .fr, is
                this really that helpful?

I've also created a sitemat.xml file; do you think it would it be
                advantageous to have that translated?

• 5. Re: International Search Engines?
                  Level 7
                  With all this in mind, does anyone have a recommendation for me?

Do you know of a good website translation company that could do what I
                  want well?

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: International Search Engines?
                    Level 7
                    If you had a site with 1000s of products to sell and you wanted to
                    improve your international rankings on the search engines, what would be
                    the top 5 things you would do? I have my top three, I'm wondering what
                    you any of you would do beyond this. Do these 3 of mine sound good?
                    Would a $1000 seem like too much for this service?

This is how I rank it...

1. One Human Translated entry page with multiple links like a site map
                    page.
                    2. Page would have links in translated language that warn the user they
                    are going to an English speaking site if they click on any of the links.
                    3. Page would have introduction in language of choice.