8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 1:01 AM by Harm Millaard

CS4 Program monitor slow to respond

kinoaki

I'm using Premiere CS4 version 4.0.  I've got about 25 minutes of material in the timeline.  The problem is that when I click the cursor to a different position in the timeline, or press play, or shuttle in the Program monitor, I have to wait about 2 seconds before the picture starts moving.  Then playback is fine.  In the Source monitor, the reaction is immediate.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening, and what can be done about it?  It's quite annoying to have to wait all the time.

Thanks in advance!

kinoaki

• 1. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
          Harm Millaard Level 7

First, update to 4.1. Second, tell us more about your source material, sequence settings and disk setup.

• 2. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
            kinoaki Level 1

Thanks for your quick reply.  I'm having difficulty in updating, but as soon

as I get it worked out I'll provide the information you requested.

• 3. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
              kinoaki Level 1

Version 4.1.0 updated successfully.

Source material:  mainly .avi video files, NTSC, 720 X 480, plus .wav files

Sequence settings:  Video:

Editing mode: DV NTSC 29.97 fps

Aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Display format:  30 fps Drop-frame Timecode

Audio:

Sample rate:  48000 Hz

Display format:  Audio samples

Video previews:

Preview file format:  NTSC DV

Codec:  DV NTSC

Maximum bit depth and maximum render quality unticked

Playback settings:

Desktop Video Display During Playback ticked

External device:  none

Aspect Ratio Conversion:  Hardware (if supported)

Desktop Audio ticked

Disable video output when in the background ticked

24p conversion method - interlaced frame selected

Disk setup (not sure what info you're looking for here) etc:  Vista OS - 98.4 GB free of 149 GB

Data - 57.0 GB free of 139 GB

Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM)Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40 GHz  2.40 GHz

RAM 4.00GB, 32-bit OS

I have a lot of clips.  I also notice that peak files are being generated all the time in the bottom right corner of the screen.  I didn't have this problem a month ago, or at least it wasn't as slow as it is now, and I haven't added a lot of new material during that time, just a handful of audio files.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

• 4. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Download both CCleaner and 1ClickPCFix and run them both. Then defrag your hard disks. I hope you have 2 physical disks, not a single disk that is partitioned. Better yet would be to have 3 physical 7200 RPM disks. Have a look at the Storage section in this link: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 5. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
                  kinoaki Level 1

I read through your storage rules, and it's quite depressing.  I thought my laptop would be able to do the job on its own.  It contains just one physical disk, partitioned.  I trust your advice, but have a few questions still which, if you can answer them, may help me decide what to do (one factor is that my film is almost finished, and I have a deadline, so starting over from scratch with a new setup is out of the question).

Can I now add an external disk containing all the original video and audio material without messing up the project, since the material will be in a different location?  If not, I don't see how I can physically separate the OS and the material.

Can I use an external physical disk just as a scratch disk and, if so, will it really make a difference in the responsiveness of playback in the program monitor?

Can I expect that the downloads you suggested will really make a difference in this case?

Thanks for the help you've given already.

kinoaki

• 6. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    I read through your storage rules, and it's quite depressing.

Most people have found it helpful, not depressing. Get an Express Card-to-eSATA connector, connect an eSATA drive as external, copy your source files to the eSATA disk using the same directory structure, then open the project. PR will ask where file A is. Point PR to the new location and it will find all the rest of the files if they are in the same directory. Maybe you have to repeat that for other subdirectories. That will definitely take a lot of the burden of your current single disk and improve responsivess.

• 7. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
                      kinoaki Level 1

I'm sure it will be helpful in the long run - it was only immediately

depressing that there isn't a 'one-click solution'!

I'm very grateful for your help - thanks again!

• 8. Re: CS4 Program monitor slow to respond
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        it was only immediately depressing that there isn't a 'one-click solution'!

That is where 1ClickPCFix http://www.1clickpcfix.com/ comes in handy.

28-08-2009 21-47-48.jpg