5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 9:39 AM by Jacob Bugge

How to cut a square

Boss DJ Level 4

Hey guys,

This is my first time in the illustrator forum. I started using Illustrator again for the use of pageflex and I need to cut a square out of an image. I have a couple squares over an image and they need to be cut from the image. Squares are just guides to what needs to be cut but Im having problems figuring it out. I havent worked with illustrator since I was in school. Hope I make sense

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: How to cut a square
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Boss DJ,

You may:

1) Select the squares and Object Compound Path>Make;

2) Select also the underlying image and Pathfinder>Minus Front (newest version(s)) or Subtract from Shape Area (older versions).

Or just perform 2) for each square.

• 2. Re: How to cut a square
            Boss DJ Level 4

Thanks for the quick response Jacob.

I guess I forgot to mention that there are other objects on the bottom image. When I do what you suggested, it cuts the hole but every object sitting on the bottom image disappears with it. Is there a way to acheive this while keeping the objects on the page? I made sure to only select the square with the bottom image. The objects were not selected

• 3. Re: How to cut a square

Boss DJ,

It should not happen if you group all underlying artwork/images (Select and Ctrl/Cmd+G).

• 4. Re: How to cut a square
                Boss DJ Level 4

If i group everything, the squares now disappear. If i cut the squares and then paste back on after i group, i get an error that reads "cant make a compound path. All objects must be paths and the cannot be rushed or be part of an object"

• 5. Re: How to cut a square

Boss DJ,

Boss DJ wrote:

If i group everything, the squares now disappear. If i cut the squares and then paste back on after i group, i get an error that reads "cant make a compound path. All objects must be paths and the cannot be rushed or be part of an object"

You may lock the squares or deselect them before grouping the rest.

And you may turn the squares black or white, then select all, and in the Transparency palette flyout select Opcity Mask>Make, non clipping, with white squares use Invert mask.