3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 7:34 AM by chanson42

Using Multiple Blends

iowaGuy Level 1

Hello all,

I am using CS3, AS2... I have a background image that I am allowing the user to select multiple layers over the top of (layer 1: new pattern, Layer 2: design...) and the movieclips have the Blend: Overlay applied to them. My problem is when they select a second option (or a second overlay is applied to the background) the overlay shows the layer belows pattern in the new layer... My question is, is there a way to have the the two movieclips ignore each other and only apply the Blend:Overlay to the background movieclip?  ...hard question to word, if this doesnt make sense i can upload an example.

thanks in advance :-)

• 1. Re: Using Multiple Blends
          chanson42

I don't think I follow you, but it sounds like you've got 3 layers stacked up on top of each other: background (on the bottom, with a pattern in it), layer1 (next up, with say, another pattern in it) and layer2 (above that, with say, a color), and background is set to normal, layers 1 and 2 are set to overlay?

If that's the case, when you overlay them, they become semi-transparent, and interact with all layers below them. I don't know if you've played with Photoshop at all, but the blend modes in photoshop work almost the same as the blend modes in Flash (with some minor differences).

Do I have that right?

• 2. Re: Using Multiple Blends
            iowaGuy Level 1

thanks for the response, you are exactly right i did some more investigating and found that it isnt possible... i guess it was wishful thinking that i could the seperate layers to ignore each other and only play off of the background.

thanks again

• 3. Re: Using Multiple Blends
              chanson42 Level 1

Depending on the effect you're trying to get, you should look at the other blend modes, like multiply and screen. I think that of the modes I use in all of CS, muliply, screen and overlay are the 3 that get the most use.

Glad I could help, sorry it didn't work like you wanted.