6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 6:16 PM by the_wine_snob

    Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0


      I have Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0. My camera is a Sanyo Xacti

      VPC-HD2000. The file type it uses is MPEG-4 Media File. On the box of

      APE 2.0 it says these files are compatible however when I add media to

      APE 2.0 it just shows a geen background to the added media.

      When I then try and ad it to the timeline or play the added media the

      programme freezes up.

      The camera can take stills too (J-PEG) and these I can import to APE 2.0.

      Principally, is APE 2.0 compatible with the files generated by my camera?

      If so why am I having problems?

        • 1. Re: Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

          According to Sanyo, this camcorder shoots in AVCHD video. So, yes, you will need to upgrade to version 7 in order to edit video from this cam.


          Note, however, that AVCHD is one of the most intensive formats to edit, and most people who are successfully editing it are using a quad core processor and 4 gigabytes of RAM. So, if you're using a less powerful computer, you may find working with this video rather challenging and your computer running rather sluggish.

          • 2. Re: Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0
            A.T. Romano Level 7



            Ditto. Premiere Elements 2 does not support AVCHD. But, how do you intend to export your camcorder footages when it does get imported into the appropriate version of Premiere Elements?  You will note that Premiere Elements 2 does not export HDV, let along AVCHD. If I recall, Premiere Elements 3 was the first to support HDV and Premiere Elements 7 the first to support AVCHD as well as HDV. I have seen reports of Premiere Elements 4 users getting support for AVCHD if they had Sony Vaio and a Sony Vaio add in. In addition, Premiere Elements 7 does not support 1080p for export, rather 1080i. What are you recording at?


            I have Premiere Elements 2, 4, and 7. I have found that I can import successfully into Premiere Elements 2 a HDV download with the following description:

            1080p, 20 seconds duration

            1440 x 1080 with HD anamorphic

            frame rate 23.97 frames per second

            with a file extension of .wmv

            (also has 6 channel sound).

            The best that I can do for export is DVD-VIDEO Widescreen which has a frame size of 720 x 480 and the 16:9 flag to stretch the video on play back after encoding.


            Keep in mind that file extensions typically reflect the wrapper format. And, within that wrapper can be a variety of different compression possibilities.


            I do not think that you want to downgrade your video footage to accomodate Premiere Elements 2. The prices for the current version of Premiere Elements (v7) should be getting lower with a newer version expected to be released around Oct/Nov 2009.



            • 3. Re: Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0
              kitew86 Level 1

              Thank you for the reply. My PC is not as powerful as you suggest is needed

              so I shall have to see how it goes once I have purchased APE 7..

              • 4. Re: Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0
                A.T. Romano Level 7

                You may have a good buy at hand for the Premiere Elements 7, so I do not want you to miss out on that.


                But, it might be a thought to look at the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 7 from Adobe before you purchase. This is a fully functional download. If you find that the program is compatible with your computer environment, then you can buy the download or uninstall the download and purchase it wherever you get the best buy.


                If this purchase is not urgent, then you may want to wait for the new version due out Oct/Nov 2009. In the past, the introductory prices around Thanksgiving Time are good.



                • 5. Re: Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0
                  kitew86 Level 1

                  Thanks for the advice. I will take the trial.

                  As I am in the UK the new version may not be out at the same time as in the

                  USA. I have not been able to find anything that will tell me about launch




                  • 6. Re: Do I need to upgrade from APE 2.0
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

                    History would indicate that Oct/Nov might be the release date, should there be a new version in the wings, just as ATR mentions. Unfortunately, we are but lowly users, so all we can do is look to past patterns and speculate.


                    Personally, I think that a new version will be released after the release of Win7, but that will likely place it after the "holiday buying season."


                    Only time will tell.


                    Good luck with your decision,