19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 11:57 AM by rricki

Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere

alexdejesus Level 1

AME will not start the render qeue. I have tried Clip notes and different output types. I have embedded After Effects comps in my Premiere timeline. Could that be a cause? This is my first time working with Premiere and AE together.

Error log below:

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\Cosmetics Working_2.prproj
      - Output File: F:\Premiere Projects\20090803 Shapiro Cosmetics\From Prem Timeline\Working Copy.pdf
      - Preset Used: Custom
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 18:16:01
      9/17/2009 3:37:39 PM : Encoding Failed
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted.

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\Cosmetics Working_3.prproj
      - Output File: F:\Premiere Projects\20090803 Shapiro Cosmetics\From Prem Timeline\New Pierre Video.avi
      - Preset Used: NTSC DV
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 18:19:04
      9/17/2009 3:40:43 PM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\Cosmetics Working_4.prproj
      - Output File: F:\Premiere Projects\20090803 Shapiro Cosmetics\From Prem Timeline\Working Copy.wmv
      - Preset Used: NTSC Source to Download 512kbps
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 18:22:58
      9/17/2009 3:44:37 PM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\Cosmetics Working_5.prproj
      - Output File: F:\Premiere Projects\20090803 Shapiro Cosmetics\From Prem Timeline\Working Copy.avi
      - Preset Used: NTSC DV
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 18:26:09
      9/17/2009 3:47:48 PM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\Cosmetics Working_6.prproj
      - Output File: F:\Premiere Projects\20090803 Shapiro Cosmetics\From Prem Timeline\Working Copy.avi
      - Preset Used: Custom
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 18:34:14
      9/17/2009 3:55:52 PM : Encoding Failed

- Source File: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Temp\Cosmetics Working_7.prproj
      - Output File: F:\Premiere Projects\20090803 Shapiro Cosmetics\From Prem Timeline\Working Copy.pdf
      - Preset Used: NTSC Source to 512kbps
      - Video:
      - Audio:
      - Bitrate:
      - Encoding Time: 18:36:22
      9/17/2009 3:58:00 PM : Encoding Failed

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What version on what OS with what source and which sequence settings on what hardware with what drivers, to name just a few questions.

None of us is a member of the Mind Readers Guild, so look here: Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
            alexdejesus Level 1

That's what I thought user profiles were for. You don't expect me to include all that info everytime I post something, do you? Anyway, I am on a PC running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Adobe CS4 Prod Prem with version 4.1 Premiere, lots of RAM and hard drive space, etc. Matrox MX02 Mini, MOTU 8Pre forewire audio interface.

Anyway, I can export okay from the timeline to Encore for DVD burning and for Flash. I have problems exporting via the Adobe media encoder.

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Are you running as administrator?

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                alexdejesus Level 1

I am the only user on this computer, with full administrative access.

This is my first project using Premiere and AE and I have AE comps in my Premiere timeline. As you can see in the screenshot: "AE comps unlinked" I get the red screen until I re-link to the After Effects project. This happens every time I open the Premiere project, even after I have rendered everything in Premiere and AE. Am I doing wrong by leaving the AE comps on the timeline? Should I replace that footage with something else?

Like I said before, I exported from the Premiere timeline to Encore without any problems, since the Adobe Media encoder is not involved in that process. Why can't the media encoder export from the Premiere timeline?

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

"Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted."

Have you tried a forum search for the above?  This issue has been well covered.

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    You don't expect me to include all that info everytime I post something, do you?

Yes.  You should assume that the only information any reader has is what you put in the post.

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                      alexdejesus Level 1

I always check prior discussions for similar issues.

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

So...I don't get it.   Why are you coming here asking how to resolve an issue whose resolution has been explained numerous times?

• 9. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                          alexdejesus Level 1

I'm sorry for not being clear. I do check previous posts before I post my own questions and sometimes I jump into the middle of them. If I don't see an answer close enough to my problem, then I will go ahead and post. Like in this case, someone had a similar question, but was working on a Mac. In my defense, though, I post topics while I am working on projects so I am pressed for time and frustrated that i can't figure it out on my own. In other words, I hope I don't come across as a deadbeat.

I have moved on from my original problem and starting a new thread.

• 10. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                            inline9955 Level 1

Ok, I give up, having the same problem and none of the solutions worked here?

I have searched this problem extensively on the forum and tried all the suggested solutions, none of them have worked?

• 11. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                              nikokanakis Level 1

Have you gotten an answer yet? I'm having the same problem and currently filtering through the forums for an answer.

Thanks.

• 12. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Because of the age of this thread, and some of the tangents that it took, I would strongly suggest starting a new one.

In it, please list your system completely, your Project/Sequence Preset, your Assets, your workflow and the specific wording of any error messages. Up this thread, Harm Millaard links to an article with questions. Those would be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                  digabyte Level 1

Typical Adobe.  Refuse to provide an answer in the thread, tell the user to go look elsewhere, and where the issue is listed elsewhere, the answer is incorrect.  The "answer" is to either completely remove and reinstall the entire Adobe Creative suite (often an hour long process or more), or replace the shortcut to Premiere in a file called "dynamiclink."  However, after having Windows 7 search my entire computer, there is no such folder or file as "dyanmiclink."

Excellent work.

Why not just post the solution in the thread instead of sending people on a freaking wild goose chase?

Ridiculous.

• 14. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Typical Adobe.  Refuse to provide an answer in the thread, tell the user to go look elsewhere, and where the issue is listed elsewhere, the answer is incorrect.

The only thing wrong with that statement is that Jim Simon is a user, just like you.  He's not an Adobe employee.  Any time that he spends here is strictly as an unpaid volunteer.  So you may want to cut him a little slack if he doesn't feel like completing everyone's research for them, or chasing down information that may be scattered who-knows-where.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                      digabyte Level 1

Then I would suggest that Jim not respond at all, if all he is going to say is "go look somewhere else."

The solution (which will save untold headaches and time vs. the suggest "uninstall and re-install your entire CS4 suite):

It is likely that Vista/Windows 7 users have a file association error (Premiere or the proper version of Premiere is not associated with the  .pproj file extension).

Go into your Windows default program settings and be sure to associate ".pproj" with the correct version of Premiere CS4.  This will likely solve the issue.

At least this is what fixed it for me (an install of Quicktime had wreaked havoc on my previous file associates, stripping some previous settings, even though I had checked the "do not associate" box suring the Quicktime update install).

• 16. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for posting your solution.  Hopefully it will save someone else the hours and headaches that you mentioned.

-Jeff

• 17. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am surprised that QT Player messed with .PRPROJ, but not the least bit surprised that it messed up other. I wants to seize all possible media types for itself. In previous versions, this was the default with the normal install, and most users were later surprised with Illustrator, Photoshop, Audition and most of the rest would not work with their normal files, when dbl-clicked in Explorer.

Interesting that it grabbed PRPROJ too, as that is an odd extension and peculiar to just PrPro. Even PrE uses a different extension, PREL.

Thanks for mentioning QT Player - here I though that its bad habits had been improved upon. Oh well.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                            poofyboy Level 1

I understand and share the person's frustration with Adobe's high-handedness. This thread is titled "Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export

from Premier" and while other users claim the solution is "well-documented" not one person bothered to point to the thread or Tech Note that did document it well. Whether that person be an Adobe employee or a fellow user, it's not enough to say "you're an idiot, it's documented somewhere else" ... why not provide a link to the "somewhere else"? If you did that, I did not see it.

For example, this link was a nice start but ultimately no help:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407106.html

The problem is that it isn't reasonable to uninstall/reinstall a huge set of huge applications like the Creative Suite Master Collection. I followed the first solution, which was to put a Premier shortcut in the dynamiclink folder, but it didn't work. (And the instrux were wrong because on a 64-bit OS, some of the referenced files aren't in Program Files, they're in Program Files (x86)).

A later reply on this thread solved the problem for me, which was to associate .prproj with Premier Pro. There is no way I would have guessed that from the cryptic error message from the Media Encoder.

Granted, if a poster is upset and uses profanity and saracasm, it's hard to feel helpful. But you can't just blow someone off and not try to help.

• 19. Re: Adobe Media Encoder Fails Export from Premiere
                                              rricki Level 1

Hello, this is terrible problem, which i found in CS 6 softwares ...

solution i found only working, is uninstall and reinstall full package.. but it is not all,

you need to do BRAND NEW admin account in windows, and install it there.

that means, i could not export after repair from encoder in my original account never more (!!)   .. this is really terrible way how to repair this issue, because :

1. 1.by reinstalling of software, client WASTE HIS TIME
                                              2. 2.by necessity to begin work in another windows profile you again WASTE YOUR TIME because of learning and migrating all other profile modifications, which i see really unaccpetable. Adobe means, this solution of repair is ok, and they did not do till today any steps of creating some "clever" solution.

I ask everybody, who will meet this issue in future, guys, please, complain about this situation, give "BUG Report" to them, and write "feature request" to them , in the way of creating some repair tool, which check actual  "broken" connections between encoder and premiere, which refuses to "take material" from it and encode, and REPAIR it automatically..  

I am not IT, but ..does it seems so hard to create this ? Adobe IT developers should know their systems, and should create such utility tool really easy.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. i export anything by button "queue" from premiere to Encoder

2. Encoder will start encoding

3. Encoder does not show the window of media encoding (down left )

Results: sound of sheep occur,

in encoding error file is this reason of canceling the encoding :

01/02/2014 10:10:48 AM : Encoding Failed

------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

History of this problem and detailed description, HOW i did "repair" this. With wasting of app 2,5 days of my working time :

1. 1. after repairing "error 5" problem , i solved it by reinstalling the suite from the new admin user profile (profile B) . 

I continued my work on my normal working windows profile . (profile A)

Every cooperation (AE+Pr, export media via "queue" to Encoder) was working fine . . .

1. 2. suddenly it stop working (without knowing any possible reason - i did not do installations )

and showed in error export log file :

"Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted."

1. 3.repair via procedure(procedure "a"):

i did this procedure on the profile B (profile from last time installation of repairing problem error 5)

I did these steps :

a-uninstall master coll suite

b-i used Adobe cleaner tool (remove ALL)

c-removed raw directories in locations

•C:\Program Files\Adobe

•C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe

•C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe

•C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe

•C:\ProgramData\Adobe

d-removed these links from registry file

•HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe

•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

•HKEY_LOCAL_MACH INE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe

•HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software\Wow6432Node\Adobe

e-restarted the PC

f- newly installed the Master Coll CS6

g-update the software

result of repair of "3" : problem still exists

1. 4.Ok i find out after coordination with support, it should have been created  ANOTHER NEW admin account.

4a:so i did the same procedure (uninstalling) in profile B

4b: and then i created brand new admin profile (profile C)for INSTALLATION of software

4c: restarted the pc (and did not updated it yet)

result :

==exporting of any sequence/raw/AE link video material from premiere via "queue" (Encoder) (profile C) : export WORKS

==exporting of any sequence/raw/AE link video material from premiere via "queue" (Encoder) (profile B) : export WORKS

==exporting of any sequence/raw/AE link video material from premiere via "queue" (Encoder) (profile A) : export DOES NOT WORK ! ! !

(in profile A, is possible to export some raw video material in encoder which is imported to it via "drag and drop)

problem i see:, i have my basic profile A, which i am interested to work, because of all my directory modifications are in there..

this issue should be some "broken" connections between encoder and premiere, which refuses to "take material" from it and encode.

what i expect :

to get from Adobe some repair tool, which automatically checks these connections and repair if necessary, without necessity of founding the new profile and reinstallation of whole software.. this is madness !

what i do NOT expect from Adobe:

to get from Adobe advice of kind : you have to reinstall full software in new admin profile. sorry , we do not know the solution, because we do not know, how do behave our software.