2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 8:09 PM by popotskie

How to create a shape based on the shape of an image

popotskie

I want to erase a portion of a mask based on the shape of an image. how can i do this? btw how to create a circle? thx

• 1. Re: How to create a shape based on the shape of an image
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Both your questions leave room for imagining what you might really mean, but here's a shot at answering them.

If you have a mask that you want to erase portions of based on an image... assuming the mask is a simple rectangle you drew with the rectangle tool, change the opacity of the rectangle's fill in the color panel to make it see-thru, place the mask over the image, and using the eraser tool, erase the portions of the mask that you do not intend to retain using the image below it as a guide.

As for drawing a circle, hover over the rectangle tool and a menu should appear.  Select the oval/ellipse tool.  To draw a circle, hold down the shift key and draw just as you did for the rectangle.  The shift key forces it to retain equal width and height.

• 2. Re: How to create a shape based on the shape of an image
            popotskie Level 1

Yes i know what to do that. but what i would like to know if it is possible to erase a portion of the rectangle with the exact shape of the image. not by manually erasing it.