5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 8:02 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Disappearing RAM Previews

Marc Trzepla Level 1

Uh oh.  Is it my (Windows Vista) machine going downhill or is this an After Effects CS4 thing?  I'll do a RAM preview - standard definition, maybe 10 seconds, no biggie .. and after I get a green solid line I'll play the preview.  Once I play the preview - POOF - part or sometimes all of the RAM preview disappears and I have to re-render the region.

Preferences:

I don't have Multi Processing on.  I am not writing to a disk cache.  I have Prevent DLL Fragmentation on.  32 levels of Undo.  Files are local on the drive - nothing external.

It seems like a recent thing too, and I haven't changed anything.  I also find that I'm waiting more and more for the dreaded Locking Existing Frames in the Info box.

Version 9.0.2.42

My misery would love some company,

Thank you,

Marc

• 1. Re: Disappearing RAM Previews
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any recent updates on the graphics card or audio driver? Media Player? Any alternate video players installed? Did you do some system maintenance - cleanup with CCleaner, defragmentation, scandisk? What source footage? What effects are involved? OpenGL?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Disappearing RAM Previews
            Marc Trzepla Level 1

Any recent updates on the graphics card or audio driver?

No.

Media Player?

As in do I have Windows Media Player?  Yes.  Version 11.0.6002.18065

Any alternate video players installed?

Just Windows Media Play and Quicktime.  I even tried upgrading

Did you do some system maintenance - cleanup with CCleaner, defragmentation, scandisk?

No.  I have plenty of space too ... 55GB.

What source footage?

Doesn't matter - it happens with everything and anything.  From just Illustrator parts to timelines that are just cuts of Quicktime movies to AVCHD .mts files.  Each has the same Locking Frames delay and then disappearing sections of RAM previews.  Operative word by the way is SECTIONS - not ALL of the preview will disappear.

What effects are involved?

Nothing specific.  It even happens on layers that even feature NO effects.

OpenGL?

Nope.  Off.

I know ... it's a real humdinger.  There doesn't seem to be anything that screams out, "You have the 'erase RAM previews' checkbox checked".

Marc

• 3. Re: Disappearing RAM Previews
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yeah, your machine seems riddled with gremlins of some sort. All the problems you have posted recently seem inconclusive, to say the least. Did you get around to re-installing your system as you were hinting in one of your other threads? Anything of note in your system event log?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Disappearing RAM Previews
                Marc Trzepla Level 1

I don't want to count any chickens here, but I think I got it licked.  After you asked about UPDATES I thought about the Video Card ... and I rolled it back to the factory install (from CD).  Things are now fine in every project (of every type) that I test.  The RAM Previews now stick.  We'll see if it keeps.

Strange - I don't see an update for NVidia in my Windows Update history, but who knows ... maybe some other update conflicted with the video driver.

Thanks

Marc

• 5. Re: Disappearing RAM Previews
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The After Effects CS4 (9.0.3) update fixes the "locking existing frames" problem.