7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 8:11 PM by Cris is Bliss

Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability

Cris is Bliss Level 1

I just came back from the HD expo in NYC and one of the speakers/presenters there was a colorist.  He showed a commercial that he had colored using FCP's Color Application.  I came home to check out Adobe's Color Finesse for comparison and noticed that it did not have some of the features of FCP's Color, i.e. the ability to create a mask for the purpose of doing secondary color correction and to be able to track that mask to the object being corrected.  Is there a way to do this within Color Finesse or outside of Finesse even.  If not, what would be a Color Correction Application that you could recommend that is as robust or better than FCP's Color.

Thank You

• 1. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
          tordenver Level 1

You can use AE mask and apply Color Finesse to it.

I also like to use Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista for grading my 

shots.

David Baud

KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
            Bob Currier Level 3

One of the advantages of Color Finesse being a plug-in inside of After Effects is that you get to combine all of After Effects' features with Color Finesse's color correction capabilities.

You can create whatever masks you want as an AE mask, and track those masks using AE'a built-in motion tracker, or use Mocha. Or you can hand animate the motion.

When creating masks and tracking them, it's easiest to adjust the color correction parameters using Color Finesse's Simplified UI in the Effects Control Window, rather than the CF Full UI, although that is still available, of course. You may need to twirl open the Simplified UI in the ECW to see the controls. And you may want to twirl closed some of the slider groups so that you see only the controls you want to use.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
              joshtownsend Level 2

Still a simpler way tracking primary/secondary color correction would be nice and would give devinci a run for it's money. Even colorista and magic bullet both require to track points which is annoying.I know AE can already do all this and it's very usefull but something simpler would really nice.

• 4. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
                yenaphe Level 4

If you want a primary or secondary color correction to follow an object, you are forced to track your element. Maybe the tracking part is hidden in DaVinci, but it can't do otherwise (or you'll have to manually animate your mask).

• 5. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
                  Bob Currier Level 3

Yes, agreed.

That's one of the reasons that Color Finesse's secondary color correction is based on color matching (keying) instead of geometric masks. Assuming that your footage allows you to select by color, then there is no need for tracking/animation, it's handled by the secondary keyer.

Of course, that won't work in all cases, hence the desire for geometric shape masks, with some kind of tracking. We understand that desire.

But the existing Secondary color correction can be quite powerful, so I hope people have given it a try rather than just assuming that a mask is always required.

• 6. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
                    joshtownsend Level 2

Agreed Bob, Color Finesse does have the best secondary correction in AE hands down.

In davinci (now blackmagic owned). The whole scene is point cloud tracked kinda like they do in 3d tracking and the correction masked connected to which ever point works the best for you. Not that I expect AE to go that far but it would be nice if Adobe updated their aged point tracker.

In my original post I was complaining that have to have two tracked points no matter what for colorista and magic bullet. Why can't one do if you don't need rotation or scaling?

Hell since I'm here why not ask.....Does anyone know a way or expression that would let you base the second mask point in colorista or MB as an offset of only one tracked marker?

• 7. Re: Adobe's Color Finesse vs FCP's Color -mask tracking capability
                      Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello Bob,

We need a good Video Tutorial or two on using Color Finesse with Masks and Tracking in AE.  Hint Hint Hint::::::),

Maybe one already exists, I gotta go check Creative Cow.