9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 8:00 AM by Jesseham

Can only see one document window at a time

CC1966

I am using Illustrator CS3. My document window is always full screen and lies behind the app bar so therefore I am unable to change it's size, see other windows, move it to my other screen etc etc, very annoying! I don't seem to have any cascade or tile options under the window menu either, is this something wrong with my application? Seems so to me. Any ideas much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Try this

would first quite Illustrator and then;

I would go to Users/username/Library/preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings folder and trash that settings folder.

• 2. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
            CC1966 Level 1

Bit nervous of doing that, what will happen, can I then reset stuff? Not very up on the mechanics of these things don't want to make it worse.

• 3. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
              Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CC,

Bit nervous of doing that, what will happen, can I then reset stuff? Not very up on the mechanics of these things don't want to make it worse.

No. The trashing resets the settings to the default values. If you wish a reversible solution you may Move the folder, or just single out the aiprefs file in the folder and move i: then you can reset your preferences if removing them does not solve the issue.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The answer is you can reset stuff. jacob's being too literal.

All it does it sets everything to the default.

It gives you a fresh start.

After that you can reset anything.

And you may have no choice.

It is done all the time.

• 5. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
                  CC1966 Level 1

It worked! Fantastic, thank you so much.

• 6. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It is not necessary to award points in order to mark a thread answered but it is a good thing to do as it will help someone like yourself to find the solution without posting.

I hink you just mark yourself as the answer and that does not award any points but marks the thread as answered.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
                      Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are welcome, CC.

There are different ways of doing almost anything in Illy, even getting rid of preferences.

However it may make a significant difference which way is chosen.

The simple deletion through Ctrl/Cmd+Alt/Option+Shift at startup may solve some issues, as may the corresponding simple deletion of the aiprefs file in different other ways, but it is irreversible. This means that if deleting it does not solve your issue, you have lost your preference settings in vain, and you have to recreate them, just as you have to recreate lost artwork.

The moving of the folder solves a wider range of issues, and it is reversible; similarly, files/subfolders therein may be moved. This means that you may just restore your preference settings if the issue is not solved, with nothing lost in vain.

I made the Move the folder hint as an easy reference in the days of the fair forums, because the FAQ only mentioned the simple deletion, and because users had to spend a considerable amount of time recreating aiprefs file preference settings, sometimes lost in vain.

Since then, in newer versions, some of the preferences were moved to other files.

This means that the newer the version, the less is lost by the simple aiprefs deletion. On the other hand fewer issues are solved.

Moving the folder, or files therein, was and is still superior to deletion in terms of avoiding loss and solving issues.

Usually, I mention both ways, unless deletion has already been tried in vain.

• 8. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

The preferences can be copied  once you have them set up the way you 

want and save in a different directory.

You can use the old trick that once you dump a corrupt copy you can 

replaced it with the copy you know is clean and it will bring back all 

the settings.

Sort of like a workspace.

The preferences are also constantly changing because every change you 

make in ai or the other applications change accordingly.

Considerable time I have never heard of this before when it comes to 

resetting the preferences and it is often simply necessary.

• 9. Re: Can only see one document window at a time
                          Jesseham Level 4

Resetting the preferences is the easy answer to about 90% of the questions here.  It's taking a hammer to a problem that can be solved with a tweezer.

In this case, the tweezer is the "f" key.