3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2009 12:45 PM by Bob Stucky

Threading in InDesign Script

Frobenius5x

Hello Forum,

can anyone tell me, if it is possible to start a InDesignScript as its own Thread? I want to start a script that downloads many Files form the Web, save them into a folder, and at the end load them into a InDesign-File, but while downloading, i don't want to block the InDesign-Application.

Thanks for any help,

Michael

• 1. Re: Threading in InDesign Script
          AdobeScripts Level 3

hi Michael,

can anyone tell me, if it is possible to start a InDesignScript as its own Thread? I want to start a script that downloads many Files form the Web, save them into a folder, and at the end load them into a InDesign-File, but while downloading, i don't want to block the InDesign-Application.

I think you can do this only in VisualBasic (PC) or AppleScript (Mac).

robin

www.adobescripts.co.uk

• 2. Re: Threading in InDesign Script
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I can confirm this for VB. I have a few VBA macros that I run from Word, and I was quite surprised finding you can run a long macro and still continue to work in ID!

It must have something to do with the 'source program' that runs the macro: JS by ID itself, VBA by Word, AS (presumably) by OSX.

I never used Bridge, but I suppose you could use that to run a JS script in the background -- from InDesign's point of view.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Threading in InDesign Script
              Bob Stucky Adobe Employee

You can't run JS in a separate thread in ID.

Restricted to JS as the language, I would definitely look at having Bridge execute the download. BridgeTalk commands can asynchronous (I believe they are by default).

You can also look at PatchPanel, using ActionScript to do it.

Regards

Bob

1 person found this helpful