5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 10:30 AM by jendehaan

Cannot draw a transparent rectangle in Flash CS4

matteosistisette Level 1

Hi,

In Flash CS4, when I draw a rectangle (or circle, or anything) with a color that has 0 alpha, nothing is drawn. Also, if I select a piece of drawing and change the color to 0 alpha, the drawing (e.g. rectangle) disappears!!

Is there any way to disable this astonishingly stupid behaviour?

I know I can draw a non-transparent rectangle, convert it to movie clip and set the movie clip's alpha to 0, but I'd like to avoid this.

• 1. Re: Cannot draw a transparent rectangle in Flash CS4
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If this is some form of bug, you probably won't like this line of questioning which assumes it isn't--so don't be offended.  Are you sure it is not drawing anything?  Have you tried selecting what you just drew after drawing it by using the selection tool to drag/select around the area?  When you draw something with an alpha of zero, it will be invisible, seemingly disappeared, but it is there.

• 2. Re: Cannot draw a transparent rectangle in Flash CS4
            matteosistisette Level 1

> Have you tried selecting what you just drew after drawing it

Yes I did try, of course.

Believe me, it really doesn't draw anything. And as I mentioned, if I select a previously drawn shape (pure shape, no clip nor drawing object nor group) and set alpha of the very color to zero, the drawing disappears, I don't mean it becomes invisible (that would be what I expect), I mean it disappears.

I can see it because no selection is shown in blue and the frame is shown as empty. I can't select anything. There's simply nothing.

More than a bug I guess it is some sort of stupid feature that in the mind of a drunk man sounded useful; that's why I'm hoping it's a default behaviour that can be changed by some setting.

• 3. Re: Cannot draw a transparent rectangle in Flash CS4
              Rothrock Level 5

No it isn't a feature. It is definitely a bug. I experienced this once before. I had the part where if I selected something that already existed and changed its fill to alpha 0 then it just disappeared. And I too thought it was somebody had made a really bad programming choice when writing CS4.

But then it went away. I've never figured out what caused it or why. I think at the time my response was just to set the alpha low (1%) with a thought like, "Well, that is hella annoying, I don't have time to deal with it now I'll come back and figure it out later." And then it just got better on its own.

Sorry I don't have anything specific other than to tell you that you aren't alone and you aren't imagining it!

You have updated to 10.0.2? I can't remember if it happened to me before the update or not. Are you on a Mac or PC? I also can't remember if this happened to me at work or home, so I don't know which one I saw it on. BTW I just tried it on my Mac and I can draw and/or change a shape to fill alpha zero.

• 4. Re: Cannot draw a transparent rectangle in Flash CS4
                jendehaan Level 4

Are you by chance drawing a black rectangle?  If so, do other colors work?  I seem to recall that (black fills + 0 alpha making the shape disappear) was one of the things fixed in 10.0.2, so if that seems to be the case I would run the update and see if that fixes the issue. If the updater does not fix it, attaching  a file would be helpful. I can assure you it was not a drunken choice to do that on purpose, the thing that was fixed was an issue of number conflicts.

• 5. Re: Cannot draw a transparent rectangle in Flash CS4
                  matteosistisette Level 1

Yeah you're right!! It happens only with black.

I was so totally SURE I had tried with other colors!!!! I must have imagined that part (or failed to change the color for some reason).

Well I will update then.

Thanks