21 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2010 10:54 AM by Scott_28365

AE "Format Options" Trouble

SuddenD

Hi everyone, I currently have After Effects CS3, and recently I have been having trouble with the render queue. By default, the output module is set to Lossless. When I get in to the output module and try to click on the "Format Options" button, AE freezes. Now I noticed that this happens for a lot of the different formats that I choose, but not all of them. For instance, the mpeg, wmv, adobe clip notes, and other formats cause AE to freeze. On the other hand, avi and the mov format work just fine. For the adobe clip notes format though, I don't even have to click on the format options button to make AE freeze, I just have to select that format and AE freezes. I really need help! It's very important that I be able to use the wmv format in particular. Thanks for any help.

P.S. when I choose a color or move the center point of an effect, say the lens flare effect, the final image should automatically update in the comp window. But it doesn't for me. Also, when I try to change these effect parameters, a white outline of the layer appears. It would be really great if someone could tell me how to fix this problem too. The automatic update  feature is very important for my work, and having it be disabled is most annoying. Is there a keyboard shortcut to fix that or something?

Thanks again,

Colbyashi

• 1. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Regarding your Output Module issue, have you installed all Adobe updates?

Have you installed any third-party A/V software recently that coincides timing-wise with the malfunction?

Have you installed any codec-packs, or things of the sort?

How about OS updates? Are you all updated?

What hardware/software/OS configuration are you using?

And in regards to your Live Update issue, press the Live Update button at the top of the timeline window to toggle the wireframe-vs-live update status of your comp.

The button should look like a wireframe rectangle over a solid rectangle:Picture 2.png

• 2. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Hmmm... The formats that you listed as being problematic are encoded using the embedded Adobe Media Encoder. When you click the Format Options button, the built-in version of the Adobe Media Encoder is suppsed to start up and present an export settings dialog box.

I don't immediately know what the problem is, but this piece of information might help some others as they assist you in troubleshooting this.

• 3. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
              SuddenD Level 1

thanks, I appreciate all the info i can get.

• 4. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                SuddenD Level 1

Is there a way to download or reinstall the adobe media encoder? it might be corrupted or something. does adobe have a place where you can download the media encoder if something gets screwed up?

• 5. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  > Is there a way to download or reinstall the adobe media encoder?

It's part of the download and installation of After Effects, Production Premium, or Master Collection (whichever one you have).

I recommend contacting Adobe Technical Support. There's information on how to do this in the banner at the top of this forum.

• 6. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Did you run Encore or Premiere CS3 recently? Do the exporters work properly there? Did you run a trial of any CS4 video product? I suspect that eitehr an update went wrong or running a CS4 trial changed the CoDec and configuration. A possible solution to your dilemma without reinstalling everything might be to download the manual 8.0.2 updater for AE. It may be able to bend things in place. The same might work for Premiere/ Encore. If you do a full reinstall, also include the other apps of course...

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                      SuddenD Level 1

I have run Premiere recently and it exports fine, well sort of. I've been having tons of exporting problems and memory usage problems ever since I got it, so it's actually exporting better now than when I got it. No I have not used any CS4 trials or anything, however, I did download the trial of Trapcode Form semi-recently, I don 't know if that's important. So where can I get the manual 8.0.2 updater for After Effects? I'll try it out. By the way, I did reinstall the entire CS3 Master Collection (because none of the programs work if you install them individually), but the problem wasn't fixed. I don't know what that means but I thought it might help someone. Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble

The manual installers should be listed on the support download area. Running trial versions of plug-ins should not affect core functionalities. Also, since you said you already re-installed, it schould work. did you use the CS3 Clean Script after the uninstall? That may help to really get rid of every trace of non-working installs and a successive install may work better thereafter...

Mylenium

• 9. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                          SuddenD Level 1

Dang, the AE 8.0.2 patch didn't fix it. I just installed it and went straight into After Effects to see if it helped. Plus, I had to use the CS3 Clean Script when my entire CS3 master collection got screwed up and I had to reinstall everything. So that didn't fix the problem either. Do you think using it again after everything is back to normal will fix the problem?

• 10. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble

Actually the ugly nature of CS3 may require you to attempt this at least twice. There are several issues/ bugs in the installer and licensing system that may prevent successfull re-installs. What usually happens is, that the first re-install after using the clean script produces invalid licensing info (Your license has expired nonsense...) That also affects the MPEG-CoDecs and other tech Adobe has licensed from elsewhere. Uninstalling this normally through the Add or Remove Programs panel, then re-installing a second time normally gets everything working again. So by all means, you may simply need to try one more time, no matter how peeved you already are. Regarding the updates, you may wish to simply turn off the automatic updates and use the manual packages to avoid possible further mayhem...

Mylenium

• 11. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                              SuddenD Level 1

thanks, i'll try that.

• 12. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                SuddenD Level 1

Alright, if there’s anyone who know how to fix the following problem, I need their help. This is a very serious problem and I’m getting nowhere. Please help me with this:

I can’t access the format options in the output module of the render queue for the following formats: wmv, adobe clip notes, mpeg, h.264, adobe flash video, and real media. Every time I try, after effects freezes. For some of the formats, all’s I have to do is select them as the output format and AE freezes. I don’t even have to select the format options button. I’m running on a Dell Vostro VOSTRO_410

Intel Core2 Duo CPU

E8400 @ 3.00GHz

2.99GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

Windows XP Pro Service Pack3 with After Effects CS3 8.0.2.27.

I've attached a screenshot of what AE looks like when it's frozen. Notice the bar at the top of the screen where the minimize, maximize, and close buttons are. It looks brighter than normal, like I'm not in the program.

I really need help with fixing this problem. Please, if anyone can help I’d appreciate it.

• 13. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Did you contact Technical Support, as I advised in my previous response?

• 14. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                    SuddenD Level 1

When I go to the page to talk to Tech Support, there's two options: 1. select what catagory my problem goes under, I chose "other". 2. What program I'm having trouble with, there's no option for after effects. the only option is " choose a program". I cant select AE and it won't let me continue. Where do I go to talk to Tech Support? Will you post a link to the appropriate page?

• 15. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Follow the instructions in the banner at the top of this forum. That banner contains links to pages that tell you exactly what to do.

After Effects won't show up in the list of products for you to select from unless you have registered After Effects. That's why the instructions in the banner at the top of this forum say this: "Note that you must register your product before you can open a technical support case for it."

• 16. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble

I'm sorry to hear that your efforts so far are going nowhere. Aside from Todd's suggestion of creating a tech support case, have you checked whether not something is fundamentally awry with your system? The special nature of the mishap might point e.g. to an issue with your audio driver and configuration or a general drawing issue with specific hardware acceleration features. Perhaps you just need to install some specific driver from Dell...

Mylenium

• 17. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                          SuddenD Level 1

OK. What really ticks me off is that I've been searching the internet for someone with a similar problem, but no one has ever had this problem before!

I can't figure out what the heck is wrong. It doesn't help that I forget what I was doing when this problem occured. Oh well, I'll keep working on it. I still need some help if anyone knows whats wrong.

• 18. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What happened when you contacted Technical Support?

• 19. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                              SuddenD Level 1

I couldn't get a hold of them. It looks like I need help from people other than Tech Support.

• 20. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you filed a web case with Technical Support according to the instructions that I pointed to, and you got no response, then I can help by escalating your case. If you didn't do that, then I can't help you.

Send me your case number, and I'll do what I can. My email address is kopriva (at) adobe {dot} com.

• 21. Re: AE "Format Options" Trouble
                                                  Scott_28365

I had a similr problem: it resulted in a crash when I pressed the "Format Options" button.  I found a temporary work-around. The problem happens when you are using QuickTime version 7.6.4 or later (which was released September 9, 2009, just before you encountered the problem).  The work-around is to uninstall QuickTime, then install version 7.6.2.