21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2009 10:56 AM by Steve Grisetti

how to safely install Premiere Elements 7

videope Level 1

After I installed this program I found that my drive E: was unusable.  Actually when trying to use this drive my computer would stop with an error message.

Toubleshooting solutions indicated that a software might have installed a driver that caused the problem.  I uninstalled Premiere and now my drive is ok.

Has anybody encountered this problem and have found a solution?  I would like to reintall Premiere.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Provide computer software and hardware DETAILS

Just what/where is the drive with problems?

• 2. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
            videope Level 1

The problem is Drive E:

I didn't realize there was a problem until just yesterday when I needed to

format a CD-RW and before it finished I got the following (see attached).

I couldn't use the drive even to read from existing CD-RW.

I uninstalled Premiere and now I can at least read from the drive.

• 3. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You didn't install Premiere Elements on the E drive, did you? That won't go. It must be installed on the C drive.

Also, it's hard to say what's up without knowing more about your E drive -- you don't even say if it's a hard drive or an optical drive. But I've got a C, D, E, F and G drive on my computer, and they all work with no problems. (D and E are hard drives while F and G are DVD drives.)

• 4. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Videope

Following up on Steve Grisetti comments, what is your computer drive setup?

Typically,

A drive = 3 1/2 Floppy Drive

B drive = 5 1/2 Floppy Drive

C drive = local drive with RAM

D drive and thereafter letter wise represent DVD/CD drives, Removal Drives (such a Flash Drive inserted in USB port)

When you installed Premiere Elements 7, one of those dialog shows the location of the Premiere Elements program files being installed. It is typically the C drive, Program Files, Adobe Premiere Elements. When you were installing Premiere Elements did you change that default offered in the installation process?

Pending further information from you, I would suggest

a. install Premiere Elements 7 on the C: local hard drive in the Program Files for Adobe.

b. if you have an external hard drive (formatted NTFS, not FAT32), after Premiere Elements 7 installation, direct the Premiere Elements Scratch Disks as well as the project .prel to this external hard drive. Once you start working with the program, check to make sure that the drive letter for the external hard drive is not moving around on you, like one time H, another time D, etc.

Please update us on your progress.

ATR

• 5. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                  videope Level 1

To give u an idea of the scenario.

I inserted the Adobe CD in my DVD drive F: as intructed

and downloaded the program to my C: Drive without making any changes to the

options

I just clicked acceptance and went from ther until it downloaded

My problem is that after that, my E: drive doesn't function.  This I found

when I wanted to format a CD-RW disc using Sonic DLA and before it finished

my computer stopped working to prevent damage (so it said).

The troubleshooting program suggested to uninstall software recently added

and I unistalled Premiere.

After that the E: drive seemed to work ok except that it can only read.

As I explained before the troubleshooting program suggested that I uninstall

the last installed softwares.  I did and somehow it made the E: drive

functional to the point that it reads but doesn't format.

If you need more info let me know

• 6. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Videope

From what you wrote, you have a DVD burner represented on your "DVD F Drive".

What is represented on the "E" Drive, another DVD/CD burner or just CD burner? Where did the Sonic DLA come from or with?

I am suspecting a conflict between the Sonic DLA and Premiere Elements 7, but I need to check out my thoughts on the matter.

I will be back tomorrow either supporting the idea or sending it to the trash.

ATR

• 7. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                      videope Level 1

I don't blame you if you to send this issue to the burner.

I am so frustrated that I will not send this comp to the burner but out the

window.

F: is my DVD burner

E: is the driver I use to format discs

C: of course, is my hard drive

My problem:  E: using Sonic DLA doesn't format discs (just recently, it used

to)

F:  When accessing Record Now says I should attach a driver (which I have no

clue what it means)

It appears that Sonic doesn't recognize E: or F:

Not your problem.  I have no idea how this all came about but I hope it is

not due Adobe Premiere as I need to install it again for video editing.

If I can't fix this I will buy another computer.

• 8. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                        nealeh Level 5

Sonic DLA is packet writing software for using Read/Writable disks as though they were a 'floppy disk'. RecordNow is Roxio buring software.

I suggest you:

1. Uninstall RecordNow and Sonic DLA.
                        2. Install PrEl7.
                        3. Check PrEl7 is working correctly.
                        4. Install RecordNow without Sonic DLA (Check you do not also have Easy Media Creator installed, it and RecordNow conflict with each other).
                        5. Check PrEl7 is working correctly.
                        6. Install SonicDLA (If you do not use SonicDLA for Drag & drop to Re-Writable disks then you don't really need it at all).
                        7. Check PrEl7 is working correctly.

If necessary changing your cd burning software is much cheaper than buying a new PC! Roxio, Cyberlink and Nero are the major vendors.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

videope

There are numerous reports of Sonic DLA and other packet writing software (Nero InCD, etc.) creating the type of problems that you described with or without installing new software. When I least expect it, I suddenly find my Nero InCD will not function to convert a CD or DVD to a large floppy disc. Also, Lightscribe technology is part of my HP burners for creating labels for discs. From time to time that disappears. The fix in each case was to reinstall the InCD or Lightscribe, whichever stop working. One possibility for you would be to try uninstalling and reinstalling just the Sonic DLA.

But, the suggested procedure given you is more comprehensive and should be tried.

I have Windows XP SP3, have Premiere Elements 2, 4, and 7 on the computer, use Nero burn software (v6) which include the InCD for converting CD or DVD to large floppy disc as well as Record Now (v7), and everything is working together fine, each doing its own thing.

Please let us know what is happening.

ATR

• 10. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                            videope Level 1

I just realized that an attachment that I inserted previously didn't show up.

The error screen I got when formatting the CD-RW in Drive E: was

BAD_POOL_HEADER    STOP: 0x00000019 .............. and more numbers

As a solution it suggested to uninstall recently added software.

I thank you all for your answers.. I am still trying to absorb all of it and also waiting for suggestions from other sources.

I will certainly let you know the outcome as this could certainly happen to any of us.

You guys are great.

• 11. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

F: is my DVD burner

E: is the driver I use to format discs

C: of course, is my hard drive

I have to say that I am lost.

Your system is:

C:\ a physical HDD, correct?

D:\ unknown

E:\ "is a driver I use to format discs." Is this a physical CD/DVD burner, or some sort of a "logical" drive that is created on your system?

F:\ a physical CD/DVD burner, correct?

You installed PrE 7 onto your C:\. You say that it caused a problem with your E:\ drive. Here is where I am not sure what is happening, hence my question above, regarding your E:\ "driver."

Good luck, and thank you for the additional info,

Hunt

• 12. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

videope's last post suggests that he is following up on the leads given. Hopefully he will return to report his results.

The additional news that he supplied in his last post (Stop_Bad_Pool_Header error) does suggests to me what he already knew he had, namely a disc writing problem (Sonic DLA creating "large floppy discs" from CDs or DVDs using one of his drives, supposedly after installation of Premiere Elements.)

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001142.htm

Special notice to possible cause #2 "Issues with NTFS file system and/or disk write issues."

I am looking forward to his report.

ATR

• 13. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Maybe it's just me - I just flew back in a few hours ago, so might be "up to speed" yet, but is E:\ a physical HDD, a burner, a RAM Disk, or something else?

DLA, like InCD, can cause all sorts of issues with Adobe programs, that burn to disc. There are also a couple dozen variations on "remapping" burnable disks as "logical drives."

Also, where is D:\, or does it even exist?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 14. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                    videope Level 1

This is my configuration of Dell Dimensions 3000 using Windows XP Home

edition

A = floppy

C = local disk (hard drive)

D = DVD drive

E = CD-RW drive

I use Sonic RecordNow and can burn CDs unto the E drive

When formatting a CD-RW I use the E: drive

Anyway I have been able to somehow recoup from BSOD but I still cannot use

the E: drive to format or drag and drop.

I have not tried to burn any CDs since the problem occurred.

I will keep you posted if I find a solution.

• 15. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

videope

Very recently I got a notification about an iTunes/Quicktime update which I OK'd. The download consisted of:

iTunes 9.0.0.70

Quicktime 7.6.4 (518.35)

Computer operation and programs worked fine before and after the download/installation. I have 2 HP DVD burners, and my burn softwares include Nero (v6) and Record Now (v7).

One of these burners I use to convert CD or DVD to large floppy discs with Nero InCD. My computer operating system is Windows XP SP3.

But this triggered a iTunes/Quicktime download and Record Now issue of the past. Several iTunes downloads ago, I lost use of Record Now. It took me a lot of time before I solved the problem by uninstalling iTunes download. Once I pin pointed the cause, I went about uninstalling/installing both iTunes and Record Now. That solved the problem.

Do you remember any iTunes downloads to your computer right around the time that you installed Premiere Elements, before or after? If all else fails in your present troubleshooting scheme, you may want to look into the above.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                        videope Level 1

Hi ATR

you know I did get the same iTunes/Quicktime update and I dowloaded.  This

must've been a week or so after installing PreE7.

Everything seemed to be working ok until I tried to format a CD-RW and got

the BSOD screen with the Bad_Pool_Header.

Anyway, after spending these last days trying to fix it, I've given up.

I just sent the machine to uninstall and reinstall all programs.

Suppossedly I will get it back tomorrow and will download iTunes/Quicktime

and install PreE7 and will see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

• 17. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                          videope Level 1

TO ALL OF YOU that spent time answering my post THANK YOU.

I think I have pin-pointed my problem.

How it happened, I don't know but I don't want to leave anyone under the impression that installing PreE7 is a problem.

I have uninstalled all my programs and have been reinstalling (starting with Windows XP) all of them one at a time.

I checked the system after each installation and was good.

Then I installed RecordNow and lo and behold the BSOD reappeared.

Sonic RecordNow installs Sonic DLA whom I suspected was the culprit.

I have uninstalled Sonic DLA and all is well.

If I have the time, I will try to figure out why DLA is causing a problem all of a sudden as I have used the program for many years but not right now.

It'll be great if we all could go out for pizza and beer to celebrate the diagnosis!

• 18. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                            videope Level 1

u r right, if I dont need sonic DLA why bother

• 19. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am glad that you got it sorted out, and glad that you can function without DLA. Both DLA and InCD can cause so very many problems, especially with regards to Adobe burning applications, and also with the entire system.

Thanks for reporting, and for hanging in there, as folk tried to help you troubleshoot. Hats off to ATR for all the efforts.

Hunt

• 20. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

videope

I was on my way to post my epic on my first look at Photoshop Elements 8/Premiere Elements 8 when I saw your post with an "answered" icon next to it. I got so excited that abandoned that plan for the moment and headed over to your link to get the details of the great, great news.

Stick-to-it-tiveness is the major ingredient of troubleshooting, and you had it. Good job in getting the job done. Continued success.

ATR

• 21. Re: how to safely install Premiere Elements 7
                                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for reporting back, videope! Your findings may help someone else some time!