3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2009 7:36 AM by Jim_Simon

3D Graphics Cards for Video Editing (what's the real deal?)

BrownChiLD03

Hi

I've known for some time that 3D graphic cards offers no REAL significant improvements to VIDEO EDITING and RENDERING.

I also know that for real video editing, one needs the likes of Quadro cards, not 3D Gaming Cards like GEforce/Radeon.. and that the SOFTWARE being used needs to have support for using GPU for rendering such as CUDA technology

I tried to update myself and read around a bit... w/ the advancements of software today, 3D gaming cards now offer more improvements for video editing should software use 3D effects, transitions, or similar.. but still not that much really

Q1: am i on top of things so far?

And recently i found out that Adobe Premier CS4 (and other vid ed software) now takes advantage of GPU power.. (really?)

Q2: HOW MUCH advantage though? like a lot like equally as useful as CPU power?? or a bit of gpu power to help cpu?

Q3: So, would it be practical to spend $$$$ on a highend GeForce Card like GTX295 to improve video editing/rendering performance? or would it be rather more useful to spend that on higher CPU or overall PC specs?

Would really like to hear your thoughts on these.

Thanks