12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2009 11:34 AM by LilMissTX

Need help editing a .swf

Lightingbird

Hello,

I'm learning as I go and so far I am getting better.  I just got adobe flash cs3 and I think its a very nice program that I hope I can use for more things going forward.  Here is my first question.

How do you edit a .swf header?  I can open it and it comes up but I do not see any options on how to change the existing words in it.

• 1. Re: Need help editing a .swf
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot edit an .swf file.  You have to edit the .fla source file that created the swf.

• 2. Re: Need help editing a .swf
            AttaBoy2 Level 4

I'm not sure what you are calling a header but you edit a swf with its FLA file.

• 3. Re: Need help editing a .swf
              Lightingbird Level 1

Yes I just figured that out.  So how do I edit the text in a .fla?

• 4. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                AttaBoy2 Level 4

If you have a swf but not the fla that created it it won't work. If you have the Flash aurthoring environment and plan on creating a fla to publish a swf from then you need a little training.  Might I suggest one of the classes at http://www.lynda.com/

It's not free but it's a lot cheeper and faster than taking a class at your local comunity college. You really should learn the basics then come here.  Otherwise it's like walking into a rocket factory with a wrench and saying to the first engineer you see "ok how do build a moon rocket?"

• 5. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                  LilMissTX

Let me jump in as a newbie to a newbie as maybe we're on the same wavelength.  If I'm wrong, don't hold me over the coals.

What these two gents said was correct, although there are programs that will allow you to convert an .swf to a .fla (or at least extract what you need).  Google "swf decompiler".  I know, because I had misplaced my other website's fla.

Now, that said, in my 'newbieness' I think you actually have the fla, in which case, keep clicking on what you want to change on your stage.  If you are lucky it will open up that text/image box.  If not, open up your xml file in notepad and see if what you want to change is in there either in text or image.

Again, if I'm totally off on what you need ...  ooops.

• 6. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                    Lightingbird Level 1

Hey,

I got the .fla open in my flash now.  Then I have clicked on the text but I have no idea how to change it.  Its not like word from what I can tell.  I can't just click on it and retype something else.  I'm going to look this up on youtube to see if I can get some videos to help me.  Lyndas is good but Im not dropping any more money on this.  Ha not going to happen.  I've just hit up several other forums for help.  I'll get it eventually.

• 7. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                      AttaBoy2 Level 4

I don't know what version flash you have but you could go to Amazon.com and see if you can find a used book for that version.  Sometimes they sell books for 1 cent or 1 dollar plus 4 bucks for shipping sometimes that is.  Lynda's only $25 for a month you could finish at least 1 course in that time.

• 8. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                        Lightingbird Level 1

Oh thats it?  Hmmm I don't know.  I have flash cs3.

• 9. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                          LilMissTX Level 1

Quote:  You really should learn the basics then come here.  Otherwise it's like walking into a rocket factory with a wrench and saying to the first engineer you see "ok how do build a moon rocket?"

That's the way I've learned practically everything I know

Lightning:  I'm serious, just try it.  You won't break the program by clicking on everything.  I say this because this was one of the  first things I had to figure out too.  I take it you downloaded a template from somehere?  If so, look in the Photos folder and see if the image [of text?] you are trying to change is in there.  If it is, it is oly a matter of replacing that photo with teh image you want (make sure it's the same size).  If not, again, open up your XML file with notepad and see if the text is in there.  Lastly, keep clicking and double-clicking and rapid clicking on everythiing in fla. 

• 10. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                            FlashDigger

After reading of all previous tips I have just one suggestion. First of all you should check the next things:

- Is your "text" a real text object or is it a graphic image with text drawn onit?

- Is your text a real text object or is it a shape (a complex curve object)?

Sometimes Flash designers convert some text into non-text objects to protect it from changing by SWF editors. Personally I saw such SWF / FLA files.

How to check it? Of course, you can do it in Flash CS3, looking at the library items. But there is more simple way if you're not so experienced Flash developer. You can use a tool like this one:

http://www.flashdig.com

which can show everyting within SWF file structured in a tree-style manner. You don't need to pay to use it for that purpose. Just take a look if your "text" appears among shapes or among images or among static/dynamic texts. Probably it will answer your question. In the case if you see your text among text objects, but still have no ability to edit it, it may mean that your text is covered within a movieclip, so you need to click several times to reach the text object itself. Please note that movieclips are often nested, and nesting level may be very high, so you'll need to click many times on the same screen point to reach the final object.

Concerning SWF2FLA converters - I tried many of them but never saw one, which could convert SWF into exact FLA. All of them create some "heap" which often even can't be compiled back to SWF. In other cases resulting SWF has playback errors. SWF2FLA is really deadend way to go. If you don't have FLA the most correct way to go is to ask FLA developer to give the source to you. If you can't do it then edit SWF directly using tools like mentioned above. Don't forget about IPR doing that.

HTH!

• 11. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                              Lightingbird Level 1

I went to some other web designer forums and I was walked through how to edit it.  So I finally got it.  I'm shocked I can finally edit it.  Ha. Thanks for the help here.

• 12. Re: Need help editing a .swf
                                LilMissTX Level 1

It would be awesome if you posted how it was finally resolved.