21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 7:25 AM by Lewis James Nine

5.1 sound instead of stereo

Rob Velds

My camera (Sony HDR-SR11) records the sound in normal stereo.

Also my prroject is regarded to be in stereo.

However when I import my footage, 5.1 tracks are created.

The properties of my clips are on the attachment.

I should do something wrong, but I can't discover what.

Where am I supposed to make a mistake?

Rob

• 1. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Do not set your master track to 5.1 audio.

• 2. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Man, I still think it's weird you Euro folks use a comma for a decimal point.

• 3. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
              Rob Velds Level 1

I forgot to say that I'm using Pro CS4.

I have no idea how to change the audioproperty of the mastertrack. My project poperty is set to stereo.

Sorry Jim, I don't think your answer contibutes to the solution of my problem, but it is never too late to pick another chance.

Rob

• 4. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                Harm Millaard Level 7

With CS4 you no longer set the properties when opening a project, you set the properties in the sequence.

20-09-2009 12-29-42.jpg

On the tracks tab make sure your master track is set to stereo. You can only do that with new sequences, not existing ones.

Your camera records 5.1 sound, not stereo as you said, which can not be imported into CS4 directly. It will be converted to stereo. Hence your 'problem'. Check the technical specifications in the camera manual.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Harm,

Your camera records 5.1 sound, not stereo as you said, which can not be imported into CS4 directly. It will be converted to stereo.

Are you referring to capture of 5.1 sound?  Because I can import 5.1 audio into a Pr project.  I've never tried capturing 5.1 audio.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Jeff,

I was mislead by Rob's statement that his camera records stereo. That lead me to my answers. When I looked up the camera specs after my reply, it clearly said that it records 5.1 sound and I edited/added the bold statement. I then assumed capture, because over firewire 5.1 will be converted to stereo if it captures audio at all, depending on the camera. However with Rob's camera you import and do not capture, but the strange thing is that in his screenshot the imported clips are shown as stereo and if you have no problem with importing 5.1 sound, why would PR recognize imported clips as stereo? I can only assume that PR converts it during import.

• 7. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                      Rob Velds Level 1

In my camera I changed the audio mode to 2ch stereo, because I don't have any 5.1. equipment at home.

I made a test new sequence and indeed I could set audio to 5.1 or stero, I choosed stereo.

What happens? I import my clip and it is seen as 5.1.

The property of the clip is stereo! (see my earler attachment). So I'm still puzzled.....

Rob

• 8. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Rob,

If you don't use the Minnetonka Surcode plug-in, it may be worth considering buying it with this camera. You record in 5.1, and you will be able to export in 5.1 with that plug-in. Even if you do not have a HTS with 5.1, all BRD's and DVD's will automatically convert to stereo on play-back. Otherwise you will have to rely on 2.0 conversion by PR or EN.

• 9. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                          Rob Velds Level 1

Fine that both of you want to switch me to 5.1, but that is not so handy for me, having no equipment to use it.The AVCHD clips are not captured but inported.

And really, the camera records in 2ch stereo (changed via its menu).

So I thought to keep it simple and use everywhere in the chain 2ch stereo.

If not possible, I keep the 5.1 track and all the others in in stereo. When exporting to BR the problem will be automaticly solved.

Rob

• 10. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Fine, but when you shoot in stereo with the camera, import that into a sequence with a stereo master track, does it still create 5.1 subtracks?

• 11. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                              Rob Velds Level 1

Yes, that's exactly the problem. And again the clip is indeed 2ch stereo (See the earlier attachment)

Rob

• 12. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

It should not be a problem, only optically, but you can try to just delete the 5.1 tracks.

• 13. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                  Lewis James Nine Level 1

Hi, Harm.  You helped me once before and I'd like to ask if you could help me again.   I have two concerns:

1) I did an interview on video not long ago, using a Sony PD 150 camcorder.  When it came to edit the video footage and I imported it into CS4, I found that the sound was a little low.  I couldn't increase the volume enough the usual way (by raising that little line on the sound track in the timeline) and was wondering if there was another way to do that. 

2) I checked the inteview footage the other day and found that, whereas the video is OK, the sound has disappeared completely!  The line on the soundtrack in the timeline, the one that is usually squiggly with the sine wave, is now completely flat.  Do you know how or why that happened and is there any way to get the sound back?

Many thanks!

Lewis

Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:26:33 -0600

To: lbeck9@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo

It should not be a problem, only optically, but you can try to just delete the 5.1 tracks.

>

• 14. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I wonder if the 'stereo' mode of that camera is actually just using the Left/Right channels of the normal 5.1 tracks, and not recording in normal, two channel PCM.

• 15. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Lewis,

The only thing I can think of is that the audio levels of the PD150 were too low during the shoot. How does the sound level appear when you play it on the camera or with WMP or similar? To increase the volume, you can try normalize, but the major drawback is that you also increase noise. Maybe Audition or even Soundbooth can help you to increase volume in a much better way than PR is capable of.

• 16. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                        Rob Velds Level 1

Believe me, after all you pushed me in the right direction.

1. I cleaned my project directory totally. (excluding an image subdirectory)

2. Started a new project

3. Deleted the default timeline.

4. Created a new timeline with the properties as indicated earlier by you.

5. Imported my clips again.

And yes, everything is in 2ch stereo as I wanted.

The original sound is not so important, I guess I only use less than 10% of it.

Add the fact that all my instrumental music on HD is also 2ch stereo, that explains my preference for 'normal' stereo.

So after all my problem is solved.

I don't know whether this is the right way, but who cares if the result is OK

Thanks all of you for your contribution

Rob

• 17. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

In that case,

28-08-2009 21-47-48.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Sorry that I am laughing a bit here. Just flew in from San Francisco, and started with this thread. You got some points, but Jim got the "Correct Answer" for a question on how Euros use the comma vs the period, or similar.

At least you and Jeff got the pleasure of helping the OP!

Hunt

• 19. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                              John Currie Level 1

Hunt

The potential confusion is not so funny when you come to purchase a bottle of Château Pétrus in a fancy Paris restaurant, that's when you wish they used the correct symbols in the correct positions!!

John

• 20. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Whoa John,

That hits close to home! I spend a good deal of time in the UK, and just have to "tune my mind," to the differences. I pretend that those cute little £'s are but $'s, and let AMEX sort it out a month later. Otherwise, I would go crazy, or maybe acquire wines that were not ideal with my meal. Now, I have to admit that even then, that bottle of Château Pétrus, or Le Pin, is not likely to be on my tab...

Good point,

Hunt

• 21. Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo
                                                  Lewis James Nine Level 1

Thanks for that, Harm; duly noted about Soundbooth and Auditionfor next time, that is.  In this instance, unfortunately, I think I have re-used the tapes I used to make the video in question and, equally unfortunately, the sound track on my downloaded version has, for some reason, gone completely flat.  No sound whatsoever.  This happens every once in a while with Adobe.  It did it on CS3 and now it seems to be doing it on CS4.  Have you heard of this happening and, if so, do you know whyand how it can be prevented in future?  Thanks!

Lewis

Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:26:20 -0600

To: lbeck9@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: 5.1 sound instead of stereo

Lewis,

The only thing I can think of is that the audio levels of the PD150 were too low during the shoot. How does the sound level appear when you play it on the camera or with WMP or similar? To increase the volume, you can try normalize, but the major drawback is that you also increase noise. Maybe Audition or even Soundbooth can help you to increase volume in a much better way than PR is capable of.

>