22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 5:01 PM by elyse19

Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file

elyse19

First - thank everyone/anyone in advance for helping me. Second - is there a basic video how-to somewhere to help me learn Premiere Elements? I am finding this program very hard to figure out on my own.

Here's the current problem - I created a slideshow with an audio track (a little music video) in Photoshop Elements 7, a .wmv file that I successfully uploaded to YouTube.  The file is 50k KB, under 5 minutes.

Copied the wmv file to a DVD.  When my Sony HDMI CD/DVD player said it couldn't play the disc, decided to try something else.

Imported the wmv file into Premiere Elements 7. Gave up trying to figure out how to create a title card, menu, etc, and since the video is just how I want it anyway, saved the file and tried burning it to disc.

Put in a Verbatim Lightscribe DVD+R disc, 4.7 GB, and prepared to burn from PE7.  The program said that the disc status was not blank - which it is, so I burnt to a folder on my hard drive instead - 4.7GB, according to the choice I made from the program.  From the folder, I burned the Video_ts file to the disc.  It still doesn't play in my DVD player.

I have reformatted the DVD to start fresh and make sure it is blank, but PE7 continues to read it as not blank.  Tried putting in a fresh disc newly opened, but the computer seems to format it automatically and still claims it is not blank.  Regardless, it is blank.

What am I doing wrong and how can I properly burn this little video to a DVD?  Just trying to show my grandmother the video.

Am working on HP HDX Premium laptop with Vista.

Thanks for any advice.  I'm in and out so may not respond promptly.

• 1. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You've got so many variables in your workflow, it's hard to tell where things are going south, Elyse!

First, I'd try to figure out why your DVD burner or Premiere Elements isn't seeing a blank disc. If you're sure this is a new disc, I'd check to ensure that your DVD burner is indeed a DVD+R burner and not a DVD-R burner. Using the wrong disc format can give you that kind of error.

But I'd definitely try to figure this one out before I did anything else.

Next, you say you've successfully created a VIDEO_TS folder but when you burn it to a disc the DVD won't play in your DVD player? Can you play that DVD in your computer? There is, after all, a chance that the brand of disc you have won't play in your TV's DVD player -- but if that's the case, it should still play in your computer's DVD player. (Don't try to play it with Windows Media Player. Just put the disc in your driver and let Auto-Start launch your computer's DVD player software.)

If you've successfully created a VIDEO_ts folder then Premiere Elements has done its job.

The only other possibility that I can think of is that you used a program like Nero to burn your VIDEO_TS folder to a disc and you had it set to create a data disc rather than a playable disc. If that's the case, your DVD player definitely won't play it.

• 2. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

There is so much to be looked at in Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7, used as standalone or intergrated.

I like to look at the Help PDF under the Help Menu of each and follow through from "Getting Started" and onward.

When you create a slideshow in Photoshop Elements 7, the preferred route to the DVD-VIDEO generated by Premiere Elements 7 is via Photoshop Elements 7 Slideshow Editor Output Option "Send To Premiere Elements". Once the slideshow (in a video form) arrives on the Premiere Elements Timeline, you then have an opportunity for further edits (if you want to) using the "Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow" Command (right click video on Timeline and select that command).

In Premiere Elements 7, you can burn your slideshow to disc (DVD-VIDEO Format on DVD disc). It is important to remember that the player has to support the disc type as well as the format on that disc. Try using a different brand type and/or disc type like DVD-R and see how you do. If you burn to folder, you burn just the VIDEO_TS (all files) housed in the saved folder, using a Burn Video Images category in the 3rd party burn software such as Nero, Record Now. Do not use Make Data Disc, a common mistake. The "playable disc" category mentioned in an earlier thread is sort of a functional name rather than the category name you will find in most of these 3rd party burn softwares. If you need a step by step for Nero or Record Now, I will supply that on request.

But, you have a .wmv version of your slideshow that you want to get into DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc for playback on the TV.

This is my suggestion:

In Premiere Elements 7, after import to Timeline, Create Menus...

Share/Disc/Disc

Preset: NTSC Standard or Widescreen or PAL equivalent, depending on your location

check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"

Disc Type: DVD-R (never used before disc, out of the box)

OR

In a software such as Nero, Record Now

Use Burn Video Files to DVD category to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD-R disc

OR

Use ImgBurn software (free download software which I find extremely "strange", but it works http://www.imgburn.com/)

Follow instructions for burning the VIDEO_TS to a DVD-R disc

ATR

• 3. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

Sorry for the confusion, but I got got ahead of myself at the end of my previous post in what I said when I was still talking about putting your .wmv slideshow on a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format.

What should have followed immediately after the Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 /Premiere Elements 7 burn to disc suggestion for the .wmv is the following:

a. Use Nero (NeroVision Application with the DVD-VIDEO plugin) to create the DVD-VIDEO version of your slideshow.

b. If you have certain versions of Vista, use the Windows Vista DVD Maker, to create the DVD-VIDEO version of your slideshow.

THEN, it should have said, for obtaining the DVD-VIDEO from the .wmv, using the VIDEO_TS from Premiere Elements burn to folder:

In a software such as Nero, Record Now

Use Burn Video Files to DVD category to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD-R disc

OR

Use ImgBurn software (free download software which I find extremely "strange", but it works http://www.imgburn.com/)

Follow instructions for burning the VIDEO_TS to a DVD-R disc"

ATR

• 4. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

I just re-read my previous posts to make sure that everything that I had intended was there as intended.

This post is just an add on...

That "Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow" Command that I mentioned is available in Premiere Elements only when:

a. You use the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor Output Option = Send to Premiere Elements

AND

b. You are using an integrated set, such as Photoshop Elements 5/Premiere Elements 3, Photoshop Elements 6/Premiere Elemens 4, Photoshop Elements 7/Premiere Elements 7.

If you have a mismatch of one of these, you will still be able to use the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor Output Option = Send to Premiere Elements, BUT the "Break Apart Adobe Photoshop Elements Slideshow" Command will not be available in Premiere Elements when the slideshow (in its video form) arrives there.

ATR

• 5. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                  elyse19 Level 1

Thank you both for answering, but I'm still not sure what the solution is.

The Lightscribe recorder built into my laptop says it is "DVD+RW DL" rewritable DVD multi-recorder.  Shouldn't that be able to write to the Lightscribe DVD+R discs that I have?  Not DVD-R?

I did try to burn the disc from inside Windows Explorer (Vista) from the "burn disc" function, but you are right, it was probably just a data burn.

I tried to download Record Now (which I had on my previous Win XP computer) but it crashed my computer and apparently doesn't work on Vista.  But shouldn't Premiere Elements have been able to do this?  Isn't that part of its function?

I have used these same discs to burn DVDs from my previous computer and they did work on the Sony DVD player.

Both my Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements are version 7.  They came together as a package.

• 6. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

A great little freeware program, ImgBurn, will handle the physical burning, should you need to do more than PrE can do, or should you need to use something besides Adobe, due to the inclusion of DLA, or InCD, from another program, like Roxio, or Nero.

Many use it for most of their DVD burning.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                      elyse19 Level 1

Yes, I created the slideshow in Photoshop Elements 7 and "sent" it to Premiere Elements from inside the program.

From there, I went to "share", chose disc.  I am in NTSC - US, and fit content to available space.  It continues to read that the disc is not blank.  I have used 3 discs trying this.

Do I really have to buy yet another software to create a DVD?  Isn't this what Elements is supposed to do?

• 8. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I have used 3 discs trying this.

With a multi-drive, you should have no problem using DVD RW discs to "test" with. These are NOT for delivery, but will allow you to do test burns, and not create "coasters." I always use a DVD RW for each Project to see that all navigation works well.

You should not need to buy any additional software to burn your DVD's, unless you wish to do more "authoring," than PrE can provide. ImgBurn is freeware, and a great little program.

The troubleshooting of PrE and your system, especially other DVD burning software installed, should be the first task.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                          elyse19 Level 1

I'm trying to answer this on-line, but there is no reply option anymore???

Anyway, I downloaded the IMG program.  Burned to a 'video DVD'.  The Express Burn program said it verified it and that it was

successful.  It allowed me to play it back through its program, but it still doesn't play on my less-than-a-year-old Sony DVD player

and when I just put the disc into my computer, it doesn't open the video.  Says there are no audio or data files on the DVD.

Checking through Windows Explorer, it says there are Video_TS and Audio_TS folders on the DVD, but I can't figure out how to play it

on my computer other than through Express Burn.

Also - how do I troubleshoot my system?  Do I have to go back to HP for that?  Or is it an Adobe problem?  I am able to use the

Lightscribe program to etch onto the DVD, and use to make data files.

Oh dear!  I never thought this would be so complicated!

• 10. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

What is the brand and model of your DVD burner? Lightscribe is typically a technology, not the brand name, that is incorporated into the burner which will allow you to create(burn) labels on the flip side of the DVD disc. We need to check the specifications for your burner to determine just what discs it supports. The description DVD+RW DL rewritable DVD multi recorder tells me that for sure it will accept double layer DVD+RW, and the DVD multi recorder suggests that it should support the popular other types like DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD RAM. But, since you are experiencing an unexplanable problem, best to cover all angles. If you are not linked to the DVD+R disc type, I just want to make sure of your possible alternatives.

When you get these Premiere Elements' messages that the disc is not empty, does it give you the option where the program will continue with the disc if you allow it to erase the content that it thinks it detects or does it just say to replace the disc? Is the disc that you are using a DVD+R, 4.7 GB/120 min?

Have you determined that another batch of DVD+R discs of the same or another brand or another disc type will work? I mentioned DVD-R since it is the older format which most burners and burn software support. You may just have a bad lot of DVD discs. That happens. It happened to me once and was very frustrating until the manufacturer finally confirmed the defect in the disc recognition.

Is there any chance that the DVD+R were used by you for multisession purposes at a earlier time? Or, are these DVD+R coming straight from a sealed package?

My Premiere Elements 2, 4, and 7, all accept all the disc types, except DVD RAM. So, there has got to be an answer. I am hoping that with a lot of working together we can figure this out so that you will not be forced to a workaround for an urgent project or future projects.

Please excuse so many questions and looking forward to successful resolution.

ATR

• 11. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

I think that we got out of sync and may still be out of sync since I decided to focus on Premiere Elements and those discs rather than get you into other program that might require troubleshooting of their own. Too late I fear.

I will detour over to your last post for a moment...

What programs do you have on your computer for playback of DVD-VIDEO? CyberLink Power DVD, Window Media Player with the appropriate DVD plug in, other?

If you put your DVD-VIDEO in the burner tray, go to My Computer/DVD drive into which DVD-VIDEO disc is inserted/right click the drive, select Explore, do you find two folders OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS? If you open the VIDEO_TS folder, you will find large VOB files. You should be able to play those on any of the computer programs that should play the DVD-VIDEO under routine circumstances.

I think I recall writing up details for the use of ImgBurn for burning to the VIDEO_TS to DVD. Let me look for it so that you can check it out and see if you followed the path that I described.

I really would like to follow up on the disc type/brand angle, but I will leave it up to you. I will try to help whichever way you decide and as described in my previous posts.

ATR

• 12. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/484960?tstart=90

Check out response #8 (if I recall).

The above is the thread with the details that I put together for generating the DVD-VIDEO from the VIDEO_TS from Premiere Elements Burn to Folder, using the ImgBurn software.

With regard to playback on any of these players, remember that the player must support the disc type as well as the format that is burned to that disc. Read the player specifications to be sure, one example DVD-VIDEO on a DVD+R disc.

ATR

• 13. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                  elyse19 Level 1

OK.  Now even my computer isn't reading the disc I just created with IMGBurn.

I am not sure of the manufacturer of the internal DVD drive.  It is what came installed on my HP HDX Premium laptop which I

purchased this past April, received in May.  The invoice just says it is a Lightscribe Super Multi 8X DVD +/- RW w/DL.  Using the

Device Manager, it says it is TSST corp CDDVDW TS-L633M ATA device.

I guess I should try buying DVD-R discs?  I have had these DVD+R discs for several years and successfully used them with my previous

computer.  This is the first time I'm trying to create a DVD on this computer.  The discs I put into the drive for this project were

brand new, unwrapped for this project.  The PrE said each one was not blank.

IMGBurn said it verified the disc it created and played it back.  It was definitely the file I created in PrE because it had the

video title which I had created.

But after unsuccessfully trying to play it on my Sony player, the HP DVD Suite playback software in my computer can't find it, and I

can't pull it up anymore in IMGBurn either.

The PrE program gives me no other option to burn a DVD other than to a folder on my hard drive in either 4.7 or 8.5 GB size.  I

chose the 4.7 and see the folders on the hard drive.  IMGBurn didn't allow me to burn the folder, just a specific file in the

folder.

I don't know where to go next?  Should I be calling HP?

• 14. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    it still doesn't play on my less-than-a-year-old Sony DVD player

What brand of blank media did you use? I strongly recommend Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. Media, such as Memorex, or Ritek, are to be avoided at all costs.

when I just put the disc into my computer, it doesn't open the video

To play a DVD-Video on a computer, one needs a DVD software player. Under most circumstances, Windows Media Player will NOT play a DVD-Video. What DVD software player do you have?

Checking through Windows Explorer, it says there are Video_TS and Audio_TS folders on the DVD, but I can't figure out how to play it on my computer other than through Express Burn.

The VIDEO_TS folder, with the proper files, is correct. What one needs is a DVD software player. I use CyberLink PowerDVD, but there are many others. You just need a DVD software player.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                      elyse19 Level 1

Yes, we are a little out of sync.  Sorry about that.

Anyway, my computer's DVD playback program is, in fact, Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe.  Came with the laptop.  I have not added any

plug-ins to WIN Media Player.

The two files on the newly-created-from-IMGBurn DVD are 'AUDIO_TS' AND 'VIDEO_TS'.  However, in the folder created from PrE, there

are the 'OpenDVD' and 'VIDEO_TS'. files.

I could not get any program to copy the OpenDVD file.  When I burned it as a data DVD, the folder with the two sub-folders, it

didn't work.

IMGBurn does not take the main folder with the two sub-folders. I had to go into the VIDEO_TS folder and it took only the VOB file

that it transferred and created the new Audio_TS and Video_TS folders on the disc.

I'm sorry this is so hard to figure out.  I am usually the techie helping all my friends and can't understand why I'm not getting

this. 

Everyone seems to think that it is the type of DVD I am using.  I will try to get some newer ones and report back, but that will

take about a week since I have to order online - with no guarantee that this is the problem.

Should I try contacting Adobe or HP?

Thanks All, for all your help.

• 16. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

My advice, calling HP is definitely not the next step. By the way, I have two HP burners that I use for Premiere Elements 2, 4, and 7 with all the disc types that I mentioned.

Please get yourself some newly purchased DVD-R discs, forgive me Hunt, but Elyse19 even if you go out and buy some cheap retail store brands (smallest packaging possible) for a mini test run.

You do need to get yourself a computer program for DVD-VIDEO playback. I have CyberLink Power DVD for that purpose. Windows Media Player 10 and 11 will not do that unless you have a DVD plugin. What you could do is this. There is a free download called GOM Player that will play DVD-VIDEO. Maybe give it a try.

http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html

I have been using it for several months. And, it comes in handy.

Bottom line: My next steps would be to buy some DVD discs, DVD-R.

Get yourself a computer program for playback of DVD-VIDEO.

ATR

• 17. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                          elyse19 Level 1

I believe that I was able to successfully burn the project to the folder on my hard drive yesterday.  I  followed all the steps

pretty much as you laid out and it worked smoothly.

It is getting it to a playback DVD where I'm having the problem.

I'll run to Staples tomorrow and see if they have the Lightscribe discs in stock.

The specs (attached) for my Sony Player say that it should be able to play all these DVD formats that we are talking about here.

• 18. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                            elyse19 Level 1

I only use Verbatim for all my projects.  Have been for years.  I like Lightscribe and they do the best.  Had problems years ago

with other brands, so stick to them.

Cyberlink DVD Suite is the playback software.

• 19. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                              elyse19 Level 1

I will look for the Verbatim discs tomorrow and report back.

Thank, everyone!  That's it for tonight! 

• 20. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                                elyse19 Level 1

One last thing - which would be better for me to get - DVD-R or DVD+R, or doesn't it matter?

I like the Lightscribe technology, so am definitely going with that.

Thanks again...

• 21. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Elyse19

I am a creature of habit, so I would say go with the Lightscribe DVD-R.

The Verbatim Lightscribe DVD-R and DVD+R are about the same price as I recall.

I too need to call it a day, but looking at the clock I think that the day has started already.

Good night, talk to you later today.

ATR

• 22. Re: Newby problem - creating dvd from .wmv file
                                                    elyse19 Level 1

Staples only had HP brand, so I had to order online.  I've used the HP ones in the past and they aren't as good as Lightscribe.  I

ordered the DVD-R, not +R.

Will have to get back to everyone in about a week after they arrive. 

Hope that's the solution and thanks again everyone for your help.  Will let you know what happens.