14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 2:43 PM by A.T. Romano

PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??

CanonHG10

Hi All,

New user of PE7 and of this forum.

I installed PE7 this weekend and have been using it for about 5hrs in total. I'm a novice video editor and have chosen PE7 to get me started with editing my raw AVCHD files from my Canon HG10.

My problem is that in the 'Edit' tab, I cannot use either the 'effects' or 'transitions' or my computer crashes. By crashes, specifically I get the following message:

A white window appears in the center of the screen entitled "Microsoft Windows". The error message states "Adobe Premiere Elements.exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." And after 20 seconds of thinking the error message goes on to say "A problem casued the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

All other aspects of PE7 work fine. I have imported over 50 raw AVCHD files, mucked about with them, split them, added music files, added titles etc and then rendered to my hard drive and also rendered and uploaded directly to Youtube. All of this works perfectly. Just not the 'effects' or 'transitions' which is very frustrating.

Regarding my computer/system:

Pentium i7 920 Quad Core

12 GB DD3 RAM 1600

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit (the operating system is installed on a seperate solid state drive SSD).

The storage is 2 x 1.5TB Seagate 7200rpm HDD's

I made sure that both the operating system and Quicktime are both running the most up to date version with all updates.

I would appreciate any feedback/advice on my problem as I would love to be able to use the whole PE7 package.

many thanks for your assistance.

• 1. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
          CanonHG10 Level 1

Hi again.

Just did some further reading and found a thread below with similar complaints/symptoms.

I do have a NVidea Geoforce 9600GT video card, so I followed the recommendations and removed the NVidia PhysX and Steroscopic 3D Drivers and then reinstalled them from the NVidea website.

Unfortunately still have the same crashes/symptoms as mentioned above.

Any further recommendations?

thanks

• 2. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

With 64-bit operating systems, it's hard to say. Vista does automatically shift into 32 bit compatibility mode in order to run 32-bit programs, like Premiere Elements. But results can be iffy -- particularly when you're working with intensive video formats like AVCHD, which can be a challenge for any system and will certainly find a weakness if there is one!

Aside from adding every Windows update, the latest Quicktime and going to your video card's manufacturer's site for the latest update, I'm not sure what else to recommend. Sorry.

• 3. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
              A.T. Romano Level 7

How far do you get when the error message first appears? Do you hit just the "Effects Tab" or "Transition Tab" in Edit Mode, and the error message pops up? Or, do you get as far as selecting a specific transition or a specific effect before the error message pops up? If the latter, which transitions, which effects?

You say that everything else works fine. Could you clarify one point? What happens if you have a Timeline consisting of only photos? Can you apply transitions and effects to them without this issue described for AVCHD on the Timeline?

Further, if you cut your Timeline content in half, can you then apply transitions and effects to the remaining Timeline? And, it looks like you probably create the Titles toward the end of a project. What happens if you open a new project, create your titles and then bring in your AVCHD to the Timeline? Any more crashes?

You give a 64 bit system with 12 GB RAM. Since Premiere Elements is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of a 64 bit system, the max RAM utilization is 4 GB, not 12 GB. So how much available RAM do you actually have when you are running Premiere Elements in the computers' 64 bit system?

ATR

• 4. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Just in case you have not already, did you read through one of the current thread on the program crashes related to use of Titler?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459434?tstart=0

It does not end with a fix for the user with the problem. However some of the thoughts offered in that thread might work for you in your specific computer environment??? Even though problems may present with the same symptoms, they may have different causes.

ATR

• 5. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Asided for potential nVidia driver issues, this ARTICLE might give you clues as to exactely what is happening with your computer when Pre is crashing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might help you "tune up" your computer for NLE work, with is qute intensive, even with the most robust machines.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                      CanonHG10 Level 1

Thankyou all for all of your responses and advice. I will read all of the additional threads and links that you have pointed out if I haven't already.

To answer some of your questions.

How far do you get when the error message first appears? Do you hit just the "Effects Tab" or "Transition Tab" in Edit Mode, and the error message pops up? Or, do you get as far as selecting a specific transition or a specific effect before the error message pops up? If the latter, which transitions, which effects?

It is immediate. As soon as I click on the "Effects" or "Transition" button in the edit tab the error message pops up. Interestingly though last night I managed to open the "Effects" and apply probably about 3 effects as a test before it crashed out on the 4th trial of an effect. However, the "Transitions" button crashes out immediately when pressed.

Interestingly as well I am able to fade in/out of audio and video by clicking the right mouse button and chosing fade in/out. Not sure if this is part of the transitions part though or a seperate function.

You say that everything else works fine. Could you clarify one point? What happens if you have a Timeline consisting of only photos? Can you apply transitions and effects to them without this issue described for AVCHD on the Timeline?

Hmm...not sure. I have only played with AVCHD video files so far, no stills. Will try it tonight and report back.

Further, if you cut your Timeline content in half, can you then apply transitions and effects to the remaining Timeline? And, it looks like you probably create the Titles toward the end of a project. What happens if you open a new project, create your titles and then bring in your AVCHD to the Timeline? Any more crashes?

Yes I create the titles towards the end of the project. No cannot apply transitions to any part of the timeline. Effects did work briefly as noted above. I will try your suggestion about creating titles before bringing AVCHD files onto the timeline.

So how much available RAM do you actually have when you are running Premiere Elements in the computers' 64 bit system?

Good question. I will check tonight.

thanks again everyone. I test all of the suggestions and do the follow up reading. In the interim please feel free to provide any additional suggestions.

• 8. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                        nealeh Level 5

I think you may have misinterpreted the workaround.

CanonHG10 wrote:

I do have a NVidea Geoforce 9600GT video card, so I followed the recommendations and removed the NVidia PhysX and Steroscopic 3D Drivers

Good.

CanonHG10 wrote:

then reinstalled them from the NVidea website.

Bad.

The conflict is with the PhysX / Steroscopic3D features. Once you have removed them leave them removed. The part about reinstalling from nVidia, I believe, meant that if you did so you would need to uninstall those features again.

CanonHG10 wrote:

Any further recommendations?

Uninstall  PhysX / Steroscopic3D again and leave them uninstalled (a bit of a bummer if you are also into playing 3D games).

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                          CanonHG10 Level 1

Awesome!!!!

Yes, I misunderstood and thought that the original installation of the drivers was the issue and that a reinstall would fix it. Thanks for correcting me.

Just uninstalled both the NVidea drivers again and PRESTO IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

I can use the transitions and effects no problems.

I don't play games at all so the loss of the 3D drivers is no biggy (they can easily be reinstalled later if required ).

Thanks heaps all. You guys rock!

• 10. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                            CanonHG10 Level 1

Thanks everyone. The removal of the NVidea drivers was the solution.

• 11. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted.

Since Adobe and nVidia are now partners, maybe nVidia can come up with 3D drivers, that will work with Adobe?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                                Kodebuster Level 3

I've not been following the nVidia issues very closely.

Can someone elaborate (or point me to a link).

Is it only relative to the GeForce 9600 ???

I'm curently running the 9800T (v7.15.11.7869), with no issues, but would be curious if the 9800T would experience the same (with updated drivers)...

Advice or direction is apprciated...

• 13. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kodebuster,

Most of the reading I have done on the nVidia driver issues has been in the PrPro fora, though there is some talk of this in the Photoshop forum. It does not seem to be specific to any one line of nVidia cards. I've got a Quadro FX4500 and a GeForce 8800m GTX, and have had zero issues with either. Are my cards immune? I doubt it, but as I stated to a comment that you made in another thread, I do not arbitrarily update my drivers for no reason.

I'd suggest just doing a forum search on "nVidia" and "driver" in the PrPro forum. You can filter that search on a person, Harm Millaard, who has been active in many of the threads. He's pretty much the PrPro resident hardware guru. Another name is Jeff Bellune, author, MOD and Community Expert.

I do not recall the model numbers in any of these, but to date, my cards have not made the list - there is always tomorrow!

Now, I have been very pleased with my nVidia cards and all things Adobe. However, I am watching, as I will be planning a new workstation soon.

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions'??
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Kodebuster

The bringing up of the issue and fix for the "PE 7 crashes with 'effects' & 'transitions' had its origin in the Premiere Elements User to User Forum in the thread of cyberioten:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494578?tstart=30

Since I do not have Premiere Pro and do not frequent the forum for it, I cannot speak to what is going on with anything other Premiere Elements and the issue.

The link to cyberioten original post here should fill you in on all the details. The present thread that we are in now is one that joined the crowd to confirm that cyberioten approach did fix the problem.

ATR