0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2009 11:17 AM by EsotericTT@aol.com

How Do I Detemine Maximum DVD Time For A PCM Audio DVD

EsotericTT@aol.com Level 1

I have been working with my CS2 Premiere to create some auto play, audio-only DVDs that are autoplay.  To clear the air, yes I know that CS4 will permit 24bit-96 kHz.  For the time being 16 bit-48 kHz will suffice as it has CD quality  The bonus that a DVD format provides a greater playing times.  So the object is to make a PCM audio only DVD.

Here is my problem: How to get really long playing time.  I know I can make high quality, 2-channel (ordinary stereo)  DVD-A's up to 3 hours using Minatonka Bronze.  Unfortunately, DVD-A discs are worthless as they cannot play in 90% of DVD players, but they prove the time point.  I would think that one should be able to make a conventional DVD, but with the PCM sound format of that same length.

I just finished one that fit with a 103 minute, 16/48 stereo audio file of 1.11 GB size.   I also had a video file that I created using several photos. Sorry, don't have the final video file size.  I erased it all from my computer.  However, the final disc size was 3.754 GB.  A little extrapolation suggests a maximum DVD length of 119 minutes.  That with simple video and PCM audio.  Now, can one make a similar DVD with 150 minutes?

I had three 48 kHz files that I created in Adobe Audion.  They were 1.599, 0.911, and 0.974 GBs in size.  That added up to 3.480.  The playing time is about 2:30 Hours; quite a bit less than 3 hours.   I tried burning a DVD with these, audio-files-only.  I checked lowest quality video, used no video, and got an Export To DVD error that I had "insufficient" space on the 4.7 GB disc!  So, I used the two latter files, which added to only 1.884 GB.  Premiere did not baulk, and it successfully burned a DVD that played.  Then I added the 1.599 GB file, and, once again, it produced an error.  This was clearly not going to work.

At this point, I realized that Audition had done what it liked to do: It had saved the 16 bit-48 kHz files as 32 bit-48 kHz!  So, I went back to Audition and used EDIT to change the files to genuine 16 bit-48 kHz files.  When I opened them in Premiere, Premiere reported 16 bit-48 kHz files.  Their sizes were now, 0.799, 0.456, and 0.487 GB.  Please note that this totals 1.742 GB.  This is less than the 1.884 GB I had successfully used before.   Once again, I was getting the "insufficient" space error.

I searched the CS2 Premiere manual and its index, but cannot really find any way to calculate maximum times, or squeezing the most out.  So, anybody got some ideas?

Mike