7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2009 7:20 PM by Haacko

Resolution for a TV slide show

Haacko Level 1

Using Premier Elements, can someone please suggest the best resolution at which to scan photos for a slide how.  I have a 1080*720 TV (Pal) and have been scanning to achieve a 1600*900 pixel size to allow for some "wiggle".  What resolution would you recommend?  I have been using 300dpi and have just reduced this to 200dpi.

Hope someone can help.

Tony

• 1. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

dpi (or ppi) doesn't really mean anything when working with photos for onscreen viewing, Haacko. Only the measurement of the picture, in pixels, counts.

For BluRay video, you can probably use your photos at about 2000x1500 pixels.

• 2. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

For the Video aspect, the dpi, or ppi, will be meaningless. However, if you have other uses for the scanned images (read "print"), then the 300 dpi would be a good place to begin. What will matter in the Video will be the pixel x pixel dimensions of the images.

I agree with Steve on the rec. Now, it will require a bit more, from the "resources" perspective, but if your computer is up to the task, you should have few issues, and will have room to do pans on zoomed out images.

Now, I do the resizing to exactly what I need for each image, to keep the Assets exactly as I will use them. I have a handful of Actions in PS for different sizes, depending on what I might wish to do with that/those image(s). In a SlideShow, I might have a half-dozen different pixel x pixel dimensions, and each will be exactly what I need. Some find it much easier to just pick a "rule of thumb" and go for that. Only drawback is that Assest might be larger, than is needed, but not by much.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
              Haacko Level 1

Thanks Steve, but the DPI is a choice when scanning the photos - so what is

the relationship between DPI and size (pixels)?

Tony

• 4. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
                Haacko Level 1

Guys - many thanks.

Tony

• 5. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  the DPI is a choice when scanning the photos - so what is the relationship between DPI and size (pixels)?

For Video - no relationship. For printing, there is a big difference.

For Video, it is only the pixel x pixel dimensions, that you should be concerned with.

As I mentioned, if you DO wish to also print from those scans, the 300 dpi will have an impact, but ONLY for printing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tony,

Have you seen the online series of articles on Scanning Tips?

http://www.scantips.com/basic1c3.html

If you have not, maybe browse through the sections and see what you think.

What I like to do is think in terms of pixels dimensions and the properties of my intended export type and try to avoid stressing out the system with photos whose pixel dimensions are grossly oversized for the properties of the project preset and export type.

Any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

• 7. Re: Resolution for a TV slide show
                      Haacko Level 1

ATR - helpful info - many thanks

Tony