4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 10:55 AM by A.T. Romano

480p24 and Premiere Elements Export to Tape

A.T. Romano Level 7

If you have a miniDV camcorder that has an option to record 480p24, you can capture firewire it into Premiere Elements 7, using the project preset = NTSC DV Standard in New Project dialog. And, it is well known that in this DV Capture, the capture will result in interlaced video at 30 frames per second, even if your miniDV camcorder’s footage is progressive. In the process, a pulldown is applied wherein the 24 progressive frames per second is changed to 30 interlaced frames per second.

You edit your video on the Timeline. After you finish editing, I do not see that you have an opportunity to remove the pulldown in Premiere Elements to revert from 480i30 to 480p24. So, export would be the usual routes for 480i in Premiere Elements, I would think.

Now, here comes my question. What if you decide to export that Timeline back to the camcorder set at 480p24 using Premiere Elements' Export to Tape? Would the pulldown be removed and would you end up with 480p24 on the camcorder’s tape? I think not, but I am not sure. I suspect that the Export to Tape might not work at all, if the project preset is set at 480i30 and the camcorder at 480p24. Do not know.

The bits and pieces of information that I have accumulated are:

There are two varieties, 24p and 24p Advanced

24p was not intended for the pulldown to be removed

24p Advanced was intended for the pulldown to be removed

In this regard, it looks like Premiere Pro can handle the pulldown.

But, I was wondering if Premiere Elements' Export to Tape had any hidden merits in this regard.

Any comments would be appreciated since I do not have the necessary tools to try it myself.

ATR

• 1. Re: 480p24 and Premiere Elements Export to Tape
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I can't speak from experience on this one, Tony. I've never even heard of a progressive scan 480 video!

But I do know that Premiere Elements is limited to use with a dozen or so standard video frames rates and frame sizes. I can't imagine that it could export 480p back to tape, since the program itself is going to convert the video to interlaced frames in order to work with it.

So I'll be interested to hear your results!

• 2. Re: 480p24 and Premiere Elements Export to Tape
            A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Thanks for responding. I was thinking in terms of a camcorder like the Panasonic miniDV AG DVX100 and some other camcorders from Panasonic that shoot 480p24. I ran across this online and got curious about the topic and wanted to learn more.

A Steve Mullen article on "Progressive: What You Need to Know" got me started in this direction, and I wondered just how far, if at all, you could drag the Premiere Elements' Export to Tape into this. I am a "dedicated" Premiere Elements person who will probably never defect to Premiere Pro which I suspect would be the better choice of programs for 24p.

ATR

• 3. Re: 480p24 and Premiere Elements Export to Tape
              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Have you seen the discussions by Jim Simon & Dan Isaacs on 24p and "film look?"

Might be of some use.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 480p24 and Premiere Elements Export to Tape
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for that link. It was extremely interesting and informative.

Since it seems to start with 480i30, followed by conversion to 480p24, for now it gets around my need to get one of those Panasonic camcorder's to start with 24p or 24p Advanced to explore the 480p24 look.

I am still curious about the very remote possible use of Premiere Elements Export to Tape as I "dreamed", but that is for another time and the odds are against it.

ATR