10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 12:39 PM by polloq1

Black lines around cropped images

polloq

I'm trying to export a piece of footage with a cropped image overlaying the video. However, every time do that, I get a pixel wide black line around the cropped area of the image (EXPORTED FRAME: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5314/blacklinescrop.jpg). The program window, on the other hand, isn't showing any lines at all, everything looks fine.

I've tried several different codecs, I've tried exporting without any compression, and as a sequence of frames, at different color depths, every time with the same result.

The video is at the bottom, and the image (a bmp file) is right above it. The image is copy pasted a few time along the track and cropped slightly differently each time to cover different parts of the video below.

The sequence I'm exporting is running at 30fps, in 1280x720 resolution. Let me know, if you need any further information.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Black lines around cropped images
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I've not seen this problem myself.  What is the source media?

• 2. Re: Black lines around cropped images
            polloq Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

The video is compressed with Huffyuv 2.2.0 codec. I've since transcoded it to 24bit uncompressed rgb using Virualdub. No change.

• 3. Re: Black lines around cropped images
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to before the HuffYUV, what was the original source, with full details?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                polloq Level 1

Individual TGA files (24bit, 1280x720), uncompressed. I compiled them into an avi file with Virtualdub.

The image I'm using is a frame from the video sitting under it, exported as a BMP file.

Hope this helps.

[edit]

I'm gonna try using the video itself to cover the area below, instead of the image, see what happens.

Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                  polloq Level 1

The problem appears to be related to the type of Editing Mode that's in use. Whenever it's set to Desktop, the black lines appear.

Is there a way to change the Editing Mode once the project is created?

• 6. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                    shooternz Level 6

yep...create a New Sequence.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I always edit in a DV preset.  That may be the difference.  I also export only .tga or .tif when I need a video still.  I never use .bmp

But I wonder why you're replacing a frame sourced from a TIFF with an exported bitmap.  Why not just go back to the original TIFF that created that frame?

Along those lines, why create an AVI out of the original images.  Use Bridge to name them sequentially (if they're not already), and import them into Premiere as a single clip using the Numbered Stills feature.

• 8. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                        polloq1

@Jim Simon

I don't have the original files anymore (they were TGAs), they took too much HDD space. The reason I converted the sequence with HuffYUV in the first place. I'm curious to know why there aren't any lines in the Program monitor, but end up in the final video.

Anyway, the cropping didn't work out and I ended up using Color keying instead. I made a new title (did I miss the zoom feature here, or is it really not available?), used the Pen tool to cover the parts of the video I wanted removed  and nested both the title and the video, then used the Color key effect on the sequence.

• 9. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't have the original files anymore (they were TGAs), they took too much HDD space.

Oh, jeez.  Two lessons to be learned there.  First, never delete original media.  When you're done with a project, archive it.  Just never, ever delete/erase original media.  Second, hard drives are cheap.  If you need more room, get more.  Don't delete things until you're done with them.  (Except for original media, which you never get rid of.)

• 10. Re: Black lines around cropped images
                            polloq1 Level 1

I'm well aware of the 1st lesson . The original media isn't difficult to get to, since it's from a video game, and I can always go back and grab it again (which I did). However, it's difficult to edit lossless RGB video, at least from experience, on top of it taking huge amounts of space, which is why I used huffyuv. While slightly lossy, it's much faster to edit with, shaves off about 60-70% of the size of the uncompressed video, and still maintains visual quality.

As for the hard drive, I can't really afford one right now, though it is on my mind and I'll probably buy an extra one in a couple months.