5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 6:54 AM by the_wine_snob

PE7 won’t recognise my DVD camera to capture clips

Belatamas Level 1

I have captured my DVD clips in the past via Premier Elements 7 (PE7) without any problem.  However, right now, when I want to capture my clips and I go into Organize, Get Media, and click on DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive) under the Source, my DVD Camera is not listed.  It does not seem to recognise that my DVD Camcorder is connected.  Yet, when I connect my DVD to the computer  Windows ‘DVD Digital Device’ panel comes up and asks me if I want to capture videos using Windows Movie Maker, Nero Vision Essential or ‘Edit Record Video using Adobe Premier Elopements’. 

I have captured some clips using Windows Media Maker (WMM), so the computer seems to recognise the device and the camcorder is functioning.  It would seem however, that WMM does not record the split clips in the folder but records it as one clip, although when you go into WMM you can edit clip by clip.  But I want to use PE7 for editing and because of the size of my files, it is essential that the clips be split as they were recorded.          

I have reinstalled the original PE7 Disk to ‘repair’ the program without any success.  Has anyone got any suggestion as to what I might do next to capture my clips via PE7? 

Tom

• 1. Re: PE7 won’t recognise my DVD camera to capture clips
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Tom

What is the brand and model of your camcorder? Are you saying that you have a DVD camcorder?  Are you saying that in the past the you have connected this camcorder to the computer (probably USB) and used Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)?

The typically way to bring in media recorded to the DVD disc in that type of camcorder is to put the DVD disc in the computer DVD burner drive tray, open Premiere Elements 7, use Get Media/"DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive", and use the Media Downloader (Advanced Form) to bring your selected VOBs to the Premiere Elements Media and Timeline. Are you doing all that?

That works for most quality wise. For those that have quality problems with that route, the workaround is VOB to DV AVI conversion with the free MPEG Streamclip, followed by bringing that DV AVI version into Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/Files & Folders.

Looking forward to your further details.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE7 won’t recognise my DVD camera to capture clips
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your Project Preset? Is is a mini-DVD/HDD camera?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 won’t recognise my DVD camera to capture clips
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I do not think that the Project Preset is the culprit. I have found that Premiere Elements 7 can successfully rip VOBs from DVD-VIDEO DVD disc even if the project preset (new project dialog) is set mistakenly to NTSC HDV HDV 1080i30.

I was taking the user at word DVD, but it would agree it important to confirm that the camcorder being used:

a. is or is not recording to a DVD disc (DVD-VIDEO finalized)

b. is or is not a miniDV camcorder recording to tape in contrast to DVD camcorder recording to DVD disc

c. is not a camcorder that records to its own hard drive, not a DVD disc or some other type of media.

Looking forward to the follow up details.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE7 won’t recognise my DVD camera to capture clips
                Belatamas Level 1

Sorry about the confusion I caused but your answers clarified my mistake. I incorrectly used DVD instead of DV settings.  Of course with DV Setting it is working!! 

Thanks you all for your responses.

Kind regards

Tom

• 5. Re: PE7 won’t recognise my DVD camera to capture clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

Glad that it's working for you. Thanks for reporting.

Hunt