6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 9:24 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7

thpizzos

Hi,

I have read most if not all the posts that I can find on this topic and still not able to get my movie to export to disk.

I have a Dell XPS 710c quad core Intel with 4GB of RAM. I am running on Windows XP SP3.  I have a brand new 1.5TB drive that is empty as well as 200+GB on each of other harddrives in my system.

I have a movie that is 17min 20sec long which is about 40% MTS video files and 60% JPGs that are about 100-200KB each.

I have been trying to export this project and the menu render gets me to 8%. Then once I get to either 11% or 15% I get a message that there is a transcoding error and it just hangs till I cancel the export.

How do I locate the issue in my project? Transcoding Error at is not enough info. Is there a way to pin point where the error is happening, so I can troubleshoot it and get this project done?

Any help would be appreciated,

David

• 1. Re: How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The first thing to check when you get these kinds of problems is how work drives are set up. Are the drives that your project and scratch files are on set up as NTFS rather than FAT32? FAT32 (as all hard drives are formatted by default) have a file size limit that often chokes video editing work.

Also, make sure those drives are clean of temp files and defragmented.

And what type of camcorder is this video from and which project setting are you using in your Premiere Elements project?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's comments, I'd look very closely at the Clips in the Timeline at the 8-15% point in your Project. What is happening at that point? Do you have any gaps, or similar? Do you have any speed changes there? Zoom the Timeline up to the Frame level and study everything very carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7
              thpizzos Level 1

To answer your question. They are all NTFS. The drive I am exporting to is a fresh 1.5TB drive with nothing else on it.

The camera I used for most of the video is a Canon HF10.

Thanks

• 4. Re: How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7
                thpizzos Level 1

So that is the part that confuses me. When I export the first 8% is compiling the menus, and it stops at 11 or 15% with the transcode error. I also read that the program makes two passes so should I be looking at the 3-8% part of the timeline or the 6-16% part of the timeline.  I went through and made sure the Video line has it's gaps filled with a small black JPG. I do have speed changes through out (slow mo video), can that cause errors? One other symptom is that the program grows to about 1.2GB then dies.

• 5. Re: How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7
                  thpizzos Level 1

I am now experiencing another issue. When I render the work area I constantly get out of memory error. I have basically nothing running on my computer.I have 4GB of RAM and 1.3TB of space on the drive I am working from. I hit render once the project comes up. So I have not done anything else but load it and then render. Any ideas?

David

• 6. Re: How do I find Transcoding Error in PE7
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on how to initiate an effective editing experinece.

Good luck,

Hunt