15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 9:33 AM by Jacob Bugge

Drop Shadow on Type

Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi There,

Can anyone tell me how to do a simple drop shadow on fonts in Illustrator?  I've found, through Help, how to do it on object.  When I try on type, the results aren't too hot.

Thanks,

CS

• 1. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Sound,

It may be difficult to see the shadow on type with the default black fill.

If you Add New Fill in the Appearance palette flyout and change the colour to something pale, you should be able to see the shadow upon it.

• 2. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I am not all thnking that yiu need to change the color of the text to something other than black but I find it sometimes easier to do a video then to write

the solution in text but the drop shadow effect is reliable in Illustrator though it probably could use a better interface.

Hee is a video perhaps you can explain what you did differently or why you think the results are not good.

Oh yes if you make it a hard edge shadow and the color is the same then it stands to reason either create a swatch of the color and make it a tint rather than a solid color. I would also if making a hard edge shadow, one withe  a zero blur setting, use it on a bold font.

The video.

http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/shadow.mov

A screen shot

Screen shot 2009-09-21 at 8.17.49 AM.png

• 3. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
              Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi Wade,

Sorry for not having responded quickly.  Internet connectivity here in Africa isn't too hot.  Today is the first time in quite a while that we've been connected.

Unfortunately, when I click on your movie link, all I get is Webpage Not Available, or some such comment.  If you could post again, I'd appreciate it.

The Adobe Help instructions for drop shadow say to select the layer, go to Filter > Stylize > Drop Shadow.  Unfortunately, at Stylize, the only option available is Glowing Edges.

I've even re-installed on the off chance I had a bad installation and Drop Shadow was just plain missing.  But, again, all I get is Glowing Edges.

My guess is that I'm doing something wrong before I click on Filter.  Is there some particularly special way in which I have to prepare a layer before commencing the above procedure?

If I open Illustrator and type in TEST on the first layer and then try to establish a drop shadow, I'm still stuck with not being able to even select Drop Shadow.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

CS

• 4. Re: Drop Shadow on Type

Sound,

The Adobe Help instructions for drop shadow say to select the layer, go to Filter > Stylize > Drop Shadow.  Unfortunately, at Stylize, the only option available is Glowing Edges.

Go to the other Stylize: there are two of them.

And why use Filter? Effect is non destructive, with the same, or more, options.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I did a new video, I do not know what you are doing wrong and what version of Illustrator you are working with but it seems something is not quite right by the way you describe it.

I did a video and if you follow the link above you will see it. But I do not keep the movies up for a long time so you have to look soon.

I found the problem you were using the Photoshop effects when you want to use Illustrator Effects at the top of the Effects menu.

Screen shot 2009-10-03 at 9.08.40 AM.png

This is what you were trying to use, This option is the wrong one go to the effect stlize at the top portion of the effects menu.

Screen shot 2009-10-03 at 9.08.51 AM.png

• 6. Re: Drop Shadow on Type

Sound,

As you may have concluded or guessed, the first post was based upon the assumption that you were talking about a shadow cast upon the type, not by the type.

There should not be any difference in how drop shadow works for type and for objects in general.

If post #4 does not seem to make any sense, there may missing Stylize options caused by preference corruptions. Reinstalling does not help because preferences are not deleted unless you use something like Clean Script (for CS3: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html).

After closing Illy, you may press Ctrl/Cmd+Alt/Option+Shift during startup, or you may Move the folder.The former is simpler, irreversible, and may solve some issues; the latter requires a bit more effort, but it is reversible and solves more issues. If you have discovered one issue caused by preference corruption, there may be others yet undiscovered.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                      Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi Jacob,

Wade actually had the right answer.  I was being a dummy.  Didn't realize there were two places under both Effect and Filter where I could select Stylize.

But your comment about Effect being non-destructive is going to be very useful in the future.  Thanks for that and thanks for sticking with me.

CS

• 8. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                        Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi Wade,

You hit the nail squarely on the head.  I didn't realize there are two places under both Effect and Filter where I can select Stylize.  I get to wear the dunce cap today.

Thanks for taking the time to make videos for all of us.  They're very useful.  What program are you using to make them?  It's probably obvious from that question that I'm just learning and have a long, long way to go.

Thanks,

CS

• 9. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

For the Mac Snapz Pro works for me.

But i don't know if a dummy like you could ever master the 

sophistication of this program and become a master movie maker like 

myself.

Unless of course if you are willing to take about fifteen minutes to 

learn how to use the application. Or one like it?

I found a USB mic was good enough for this purpose and they cost 

between $35 and $60 here in the states. I use it because sometimes I 

can't get the idea across with written words

and though I sometimes stutter and fumble around for the right words 

everyone seems to think it is acceptable. I think all of us that use 

such programs find them useful for that purpose.

When there is a problem you can even use it to demonstrate a problem. 

Although sharing a screen is good as well.

Perhaps one day they will bring screen sharing to the forum and then a 

few of the users can get together and work out the best solution with 

a live interactive session.Which can be recorded as well.

What part of Africa are you located in? I have done some photography 

for a magazine in South Africa called Style!

• 10. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                            Crellin Sound Level 1

Hi Wade,

Good stuff.  I need to catch up on some of these new whizmos and programs.  I'm technologically challenged since I've been out of the States for so long.  I can operate a cell phone, but only just barely.

I'm in Eritrea for the moment.  But I started working in Tanzania in 1998 and still have a house there.  I've also worked in Senegal.

Eritrea's pretty cool.  If you ever get a chance, look up Asmara, the capital city.  It's the only art-deco city in Africa, as far as I can tell.  The surrounding landscape is sort of like eastern Wyoming.

Thanks,

CS

• 11. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

For sending your files try the free service at http://www.yousendit.com

up to a 100 mb file free and up to 2 GBs per month free it is web 

based so all you need is a browser.

• 12. Re: Drop Shadow on Type

Sound,

Wade actually had the right answer.  I was being a dummy.  Didn't realize there were two places under both Effect and Filter where I could select Stylize.

Actually, in post #4 I said, concerning Filter (and Effects): Go to the other Stylize: there are two of them.

I tend to be terse, maybe too much, sometimes.

• 13. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It was not understood.

So I show it to him.

• 14. Re: Drop Shadow on Type
                                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Sound,

Actually, in post #4 I said, concerning Filter (and Effects): Go to the other Stylize: there are two of them.

I tend to be terse, maybe too much, sometimes.

I was about to suggest that #4 be marked as well. Because I find that somepeople do not understand the way I explain things even if I show them as I did in this case and that they often understand your more terse phrasing of an answer. So it is good to have both sometimes if the user does not understand one or the other,

• 15. Re: Drop Shadow on Type

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

... So it is good to have both sometimes if the user does not understand one or the other,

I agree. Often, understanding the question is the challenge. Every now and again, giving an understandable answer is.